The Quick 10: The 10 Most Expensive Photographs Ever

12 years 8 months ago #128727 by Hamtastic
So I have been digging around looking for the most expensive photos ever sold and came across this article which shows 10 most expensive photos. But then I notice that Peter Lik isn't listed, then I notice the date of this is from 2009. Between 2009 and now, were there any other photos other than Peter Lik's that made head lines?

www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/28256

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128755 by LeahJean84
Peter is an impressive photographer, but your post almost sounds like you are :toocrazy: about Peter Lik. :)

12 years 8 months ago #128783 by Hamtastic

LeahJean84 wrote: Peter is an impressive photographer, but your post almost sounds like you are :toocrazy: about Peter Lik. :)

?? Hardly the case. I was interested in see what are the most expensive photos ever sold. I knew Peter Lik had one that sold for just over a million. I didn't see his in this post which got me thinking how accurate is this post considering there are 2 years missing from the date of this article.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128844 by MLKstudios
Look up Cindy Sherman, Untitled #96. Sold recently for close to $4 mil.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128860 by icepics
Why do you think that particular Cindy Sherman went so high? Because it was such an early self-portrait? - and one in which it's just her, not a character she created.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128865 by MLKstudios
Good question. Maybe someone really liked orange?

You're right though. It was an early work and there was probably only one well executed print from that time. And it does stand out as being more recognizable than others.

She was always in character in her work. We don't know who she really is. That's part of the mystique. She represents the mystery of ALL women.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128876 by icepics
Yes they must have loved orange! - and patterns. That could be, that it was one print not multiples.

I like the story w/the Ansel Adams photo, nice to know he was human. I'm sure many of us can relate, we spend time trying to get a picture and it just isn't working out, and then you see something and pull the car over. Or just roll down the window because you only have a moment.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129114 by Steven.Powell

MLKstudios wrote: Look up Cindy Sherman, Untitled #96. Sold recently for close to $4 mil.

Really? WOW! What a pay day that was

12 years 8 months ago #129159 by MLKstudios
There's a famous story about Picasso. Not sure if it is true or not (I wasn't there). But it goes...

A lady sees Picasso sitting outside doing nothing. She walks up to him, recognizes him and asks him to draw her picture (a portrait). He says, "Sure, sit down".

In a few minutes he has finished and hands the lady her pic. "Thank you, what do I owe you"?

"$5000.00"

"But, it only took you a few minutes."

"No ma'am". "It took me my whole life".

It was a pay for her life's work. Not just the one photo. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129200 by Scotty

icepics wrote: Why do you think that particular Cindy Sherman went so high? Because it was such an early self-portrait? - and one in which it's just her, not a character she created.

Because someone was stupid enough to pay for it.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129318 by Mike Ayrouth

MLKstudios wrote: There's a famous story about Picasso. Not sure if it is true or not (I wasn't there). But it goes...

A lady sees Picasso sitting outside doing nothing. She walks up to him, recognizes him and asks him to draw her picture (a portrait). He says, "Sure, sit down".

In a few minutes he has finished and hands the lady her pic. "Thank you, what do I owe you"?

"$5000.00"

"But, it only took you a few minutes."

"No ma'am". "It took me my whole life".

It was a pay for her life's work. Not just the one photo. :)

Well that was interesting, but it does make sense. Somewhat.

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129476 by MLKstudios
The art world collects signatures, over images...

Pick the most beautiful image on Flickr, and sell it next to a poorly executed scribble signed by Rembrandt. Which do you think would sell for more?

It's because of the mind behind it. The creative spirit.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024