Indoor flash question

12 years 8 months ago #128772 by Wolfman
I'm going to a dinner tonight and I'm going to be taking some pictures for practice. It is at a restaurant with very yellowish lighting. There will be no natural or day light coming in. My problem is that I don't want to use flash but I'm not educated enough to know exactly which settings to tweak in order to produce a good photo at a fast rate with no flash. Any info would be great. Thanks.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128780 by MLKstudios
Don't shoot fast. A flash needs a chance to recharge. It takes a new technique.

If you have an on camera (attached) flash...

It should have TTL mode, so set it to that (aka E-TTL or i-TTL). Set your ISO to 400, the shutter speed to 1/60 (or less for low light), then use a bounce card (or a white index card with a rubber band) on the flash head, tilt it slightly, using f/8 close in (one person) and f/4 for distance (a group).

For the pop-up, pop it up. Use the same settings above.

That's a start, anyway.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #128781 by LeahJean84
Your best bet is probably to boost up your ISO and have an open aperture (f3.4) adjust your shutter speed to about 1/60 and you should be okay. If you're shooting in Raw you will be able to adjust the white balance in PP later. If you are able to adjust the white balance to suit the setting right then and there, experiment with it.

12 years 8 months ago #128816 by Wolfman

MLKstudios wrote: Don't shoot fast. A flash needs a chance to recharge. It takes a new technique.

If you have an on camera (attached) flash...

It should have TTL mode, so set it to that (aka E-TTL or i-TTL). Set your ISO to 400, the shutter speed to 1/60 (or less for low light), then use a bounce card (or a white index card with a rubber band) on the flash head, tilt it slightly, using f/8 close in (one person) and f/4 for distance (a group).

For the pop-up, pop it up. Use the same settings above.

That's a start, anyway.

Thanks. I was just thinking, since I will be taking pictures at a dinner, I will be close to people. Wouldn't flash bother them, not just the people I am with, but strangers around me. I don't want people around me thinking who is that crazy person with the camera. lol

12 years 8 months ago #128819 by Wolfman

LeahJean84 wrote: Your best bet is probably to boost up your ISO and have an open aperture (f3.4) adjust your shutter speed to about 1/60 and you should be okay. If you're shooting in Raw you will be able to adjust the white balance in PP later. If you are able to adjust the white balance to suit the setting right then and there, experiment with it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128822 by MLKstudios
In TTL mode, the larger the ap (and the closer you are to the subject) the less light the flash has to produce. So, close in with a large ap, isn't going to blind the neighbors.

Instead of f/8 for DoF close in, stay on f/4 (or a bit wider as Leah suggested).

FYI Adjust the shutter speed for the ambient. Slower to let more in.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #128823 by Henry Peach
I'm assuming you are using the XSi and 50mm listed in your profile, and are shooting jpeg.

The 50mm lens offers a larger maximum aperture (max aperture is smallest f/# ) than your zoom, so I'd use it.

How are the photos going to be used? Web? Small prints? Large prints? I wouldn't worry about high ISO noise too much. Crank it up to ISO 1600 or 3200. You said this was for practice; that's the perfect time to see where you find high ISO noise to be a problem. Read up on your camera's noise reduction features. It can depend on the situation, but I usually find blur due to subject movement or camera shake more offensive than a bit of noise. Also if the photo is for web or prints 8"x12" and smaller you may hardly notice it even if it looks atrocious when pixel peeping.

Set white balance to tungsten (icon looks like a light bulb). Don't forget to change it back to auto or daylight when you are done. If you shoot outdoors on tungsten wb you will get very blue photos.

So I'd start out in Av at f/2.8 and ISO 1600. See what kid of shutter speed that's giving you. I think the advice above of 1/60th or faster would be good. If it's very high, like 1/250th or more, you can lower your ISO to 800 or 400.

Since it's practice try different things. Learning to read the histogram would help. www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...eters-and-histograms
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #128824 by Baydream

LeahJean84 wrote: Your best bet is probably to boost up your ISO and have an open aperture (f3.4) adjust your shutter speed to about 1/60 and you should be okay. If you're shooting in Raw you will be able to adjust the white balance in PP later. If you are able to adjust the white balance to suit the setting right then and there, experiment with it.

:goodpost: Make sure you can steady your camera and people aren't moving much.
Your 50mm lens wide open is going to let you shoot in lower light than your kit lens.

That a few "practice shots" to test WB. Also shoot in RAW (or RAW+jpeg) so you can get the best adjustments from the RAW file.

Thanks, Henry. I was researching and slow typing. Good advice.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128826 by Wolfman
Thanks Everyone. These photos I will be keeping on my computer and sharing via email or even facebook with the people that will be at the dinner. I have no plans on printing them, but maybe the other's will print the pictures.

12 years 8 months ago #128827 by Baydream

Wolfman wrote: Thanks Everyone. These photos I will be keeping on my computer and sharing via email or even facebook with the people that will be at the dinner. I have no plans on printing them, but maybe the other's will print the pictures.

Shoot like you are going to print, then you are covered.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #128828 by MLKstudios
Wolf, it would be nice if you tried both methods (flash and no flash) and showed us your results.

And good luck.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129005 by Henry Peach

Wolfman wrote: Thanks Everyone. These photos I will be keeping on my computer and sharing via email or even facebook with the people that will be at the dinner. I have no plans on printing them, but maybe the other's will print the pictures.

While I agree with Baydream that it's best to go for the highest quality if possible if we think there's a chance someone might want a large print, the fact is we usually have a pretty good idea how the photos are going to be used. Casual family and friends snapshots are rarely printed these days, and even if they are it's going to be 8"X12" or smaller. This is part of previsualization. If I know they are never going bigger than 8x12, and probably not bigger than 4x6, then I can get away with a lot more when it comes to issues like high ISO noise than if I were wanting 16"x24" prints.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024