When shooting something that has a lot of green, are you suppose to +1 stop or -1 stop?

12 years 8 months ago #129794 by Moossmann
I thought I saw someplace that when you are taking a portrait of someone who is let's say sitting on nice green grass, you are suppose to either increase exposure compensation by +1 Stop or -1 Stop?

Which is it?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129796 by MLKstudios
The dangers of gathering crumbs. Be careful, they aren't all dropped by experts.

Green can be dark or light, and is usually close to the middle. So, it would depend on the "color" of the green.

In general, a nice green lawn is a good middle tone. NO exposure compensation is needed.

If the lawn is burnt out, then you may want to add a stop.

And yes, you are allowed to shoot below 1/125. That's why those other shutter speeds are there!

Matthew :)

If you want to understand how your meter works, get an 18% reflectance card (aka Gray Card):

www.photographytalk.com/photography-arti...tipusing-a-gray-card

Those made by Delta are really cheap (err inexpensive):

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/101853-RE...ray_Card_8x10_1.html

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #129798 by Nikonjan
Hmm, I know if you are shooting snow, you go plus 1 stop because the metering wants to make it gray so that makes it brighter. Hadn't thought about green grass and a person. I don't do anything different but meter off the person, check your histogram and picture on the back to see what you need to adjust.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129801 by MLKstudios
Good point Jan. The exposure on the subject is more important than the exposure on the grass...

... unless the grass IS your subject. ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129816 by Prago
Personally i will add or subtract depending on how the photo looks

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129817 by Henry Peach
In my neck of the woods a healthy green lawn is pretty close to middle gray tone. Of course after a summer of relentless heat there aren't many healthy green lawns around.

I might need to dial in +1 exp comp because my subject sitting on the grass is lighter than middle gray, but it doesn't have anything to do with the color green.
12 years 8 months ago #129913 by Joves
As Jan said you always meter off the subject. Also if they are wearing white you may want to drop it 1/3 or so. I never use the Comp because Im shooting in manual and can stop it down or up as needed.

12 years 8 months ago #129916 by MLKstudios
Don't you mean add? If you meter white, your meter will make it underexposed.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129929 by Joves
I said up or down. I personally meter somewhere in between the persons face and the offending white clothing. Ofcourse this is lighting dependent as with any shot.

12 years 8 months ago #130131 by Bethie
Wouldn't you want to use a circular polarizer filter to bring out the green?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024