How often are you using your 50mm lens?

12 years 8 months ago #131781 by Studio Queen
I was just watching one of the tip video's here about a fashion photographer who stated that he starts each photo shoot with his 50mm, regardless. He made a good point about how using this lens forces you to really think about what you are shooting. This really got me thinking. Personally my 50mm is one of the least used lenses in my bag. When I go on a shoot I'm always grabbing a zoom or some beefy lens.

I'm going to try just getting out there and using my 50mm this weekend. Actually this might be the only lens I'm going to use.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131790 by John Ledder
Such a good point, people get dependent on how much zoom they have and forget to walk. I'm guilty of it too.

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131794 by McBeth Photography
Nearly every full length and group portrait, some landscape.

It is what it is.
12 years 8 months ago #131801 by Scotty
All the time.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131818 by Scotty
Nikon d700. Sigma 1.4 at 1.4. shot at 50mm of course.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arkangel7x3
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #131821 by Henry Peach

Studio Queen wrote: He made a good point about how using this lens forces you to really think about what you are shooting.

In this case the photographer needs to put down the gear, and examine what's going on in their own head. Why do they require the gear to lead them? Wouldn't it be better to work on some self discipline? Thinking is done with the mind not the lens. I think folks who are unlikely to explore various perspectives won't do it whatever lens they are using. While folks who are inclined to explore various perspectives are going to do it whatever lens they are using.

One problem with primes is that if you are trying to fill the frame and crop in the camera a fixed focal length encourages composition by field of view rather than perspective. I think composing by perspective is a much better way to go about it. That's what you would be taught in a non-photographic art class. Variable focal length allows composing by perspective, and then the focal length can be adjusted to crop efficiently in camera. Prime lenses can also be used when composing by perspective, but the photo may require out of camera cropping. I don't have any problem with that, but traditionally small format photographers are taught to crop in the camera.

It's fine to love your 50mm or other prime lenses. I rarely leave home without mine. There are plenty of good, real world reasons to do so, but lets skip the mysticism so often attributed to them.

Great reasons to use a prime over a zoom: they are often faster, they are often smaller, they may have less distortion, they may be cheaper, and traditionally they have been sharper, although that's changing with today's high quality zooms. They aren't going to make you a better photographer. That has to happen in your head.

Another thing is that the 50mm is "normal" for 35mm format. Normal meaning it tends to encourage a composition that would have a perspective that looks very natural to the human eye. If you are using it on APS-C or medium or large format it's not "normal". On APS-C it becomes a slightly telephoto, portrait lens with a field of view like a 75mm on 35mm format.
12 years 8 months ago #131828 by chasrich
I always go with the really big lens hood so people will think I'm a pro and have money... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #131844 by Foxy Girl

Scotty wrote: Nikon d700. Sigma 1.4 at 1.4. shot at 50mm of course.

So pretty, did you add any addition blur with Photoshop? Or is that straight from the camera?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #131846 by Scotty

Foxy Girl wrote:

Scotty wrote: Nikon d700. Sigma 1.4 at 1.4. shot at 50mm of course.

So pretty, did you add any addition blur with Photoshop? Or is that straight from the camera?

I bumped saturation, took down the green saturation in the green sat channel. Sharpened.

No blur was added. Sigma 50 1.4 is a helluva lens.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #132046 by BWPhotography
Its a shame but I don't even own a 50mm lens, its just never got to the top of my wanted list. Although if I'm shooting portraits I always shoot over 50mm unless I'm after a wide angle.

Different things for different people.
12 years 8 months ago #132089 by crystal
I have a 50mm, barely touch it. I would like to use it more often.
12 years 8 months ago #132162 by rmeyer7
I didn't use mine much when I was shooting with my old camera (crop sensor), but after upgrading to a full frame body I love it. It's such a great length for portraits and noticeable sharper than even a good zoom.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024