Photography magazines dieing?

13 years 3 months ago #13236 by ArtWagner
My local camera shop was telling me an interesting observation of theirs. I guess more of a forecast rather, they stated that photography magazines are dieing off, that in 5 to 10 years there will be few photography magazines left. Usually I don't buy into this doom and gloom talk, but with how popular the internet is, I think magazines could disappear as we know them know and more be created in some sort of online hybrid.

What are your thoughts on this?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #13237 by Karl Wertanen

ArtWagner wrote: My local camera shop was telling me an interesting observation of theirs. I guess more of a forecast rather, they stated that photography magazines are dieing off, that in 5 to 10 years there will be few photography magazines left. Usually I don't buy into this doom and gloom talk, but with how popular the internet is, I think magazines could disappear as we know them know and more be created in some sort of online hybrid.

Outdoor photographer just came out w/an online version of their magazine...

I, myself like the mags and to be able to flip through. They are easier to read than staring at a lit up computer screen.

I found 3 old milk crates full of outdoor photographer magazines from the 90's the other day in my attic and am having a great time going through them.
13 years 3 months ago #13246 by KZAM

Karl Wertanen wrote:

ArtWagner wrote: My local camera shop was telling me an interesting observation of theirs. I guess more of a forecast rather, they stated that photography magazines are dieing off, that in 5 to 10 years there will be few photography magazines left. Usually I don't buy into this doom and gloom talk, but with how popular the internet is, I think magazines could disappear as we know them know and more be created in some sort of online hybrid.

I, myself like the mags and to be able to flip through. They are easier to read than staring at a lit up computer screen.

I found 3 old milk crates full of outdoor photographer magazines from the 90's the other day in my attic and am having a great time going through them.

I'm with you, nothing will substitute a flipping through a magazine's pages where ever, when ever you want to. I had a nice collection of photo magazines till the wife tossed them out on mistake. I have a hard time tossing them. There usually is good information or articles that I wouldn't mind reading again. It's like throwing out a book, you just don't do that.

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13270 by Solstar
Print media of ALL types are dying quickly and especially in areas with greater Internet penetration. What wouldn't surprise me is the move to nominal fees for on-line magazines to help cover their staff costs along with the advertising revenue from their sites. We don't balk at a few bucks a month for our magazines, so we may just have to adjust to the idea of a few bucks a year for quality on-line content.

13 years 3 months ago #13272 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I have a subscription to OP. Does the online version carry over with your subscription?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13273 by Scotty

Solstar wrote: Print media of ALL types are dying quickly and especially in areas with greater Internet penetration. What wouldn't surprise me is the move to nominal fees for on-line magazines to help cover their staff costs along with the advertising revenue from their sites. We don't balk at a few bucks a month for our magazines, so we may just have to adjust to the idea of a few bucks a year for quality on-line content.

Ipad/tablet PC's saved a lot of media outlets, such as magazines.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13276 by Karl Wertanen

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I have a subscription to OP. Does the online version carry over with your subscription?

I dont know. I didnt look into it.
13 years 3 months ago #13277 by Scotty

Karl Wertanen wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote:

I dont know. I didnt look into it.

I'd love to be able to look at them on my ipad ;O

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13279 by photobod
I subscribe to a wonderful magazine called Phot Pro, wudnt be without it, I used to have about 200 copies of practical photography from many years ago, but they did take up a lot of space, so I spent a few days cutting out pieces I thought i would use in the future and put them into a folder, never looked at them since, may do now tho, I read the news on MSN as I never buy newspapers, but I wouldnt enjoy reading a magazine online, its nice to lay back on the sofa and peruse at your leisure.

[/size][/color][/b]

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #13286 by bhowdy
I have to agree that I really like to "flip" thru a magazine. Heck I can't fold down the corner or use a colored tab thingy on a page when I read one on my Kindle!!

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #13302 by Lindsey

bhowdy wrote: I have to agree that I really like to "flip" thru a magazine. Heck I can't fold down the corner or use a colored tab thingy on a page when I read one on my Kindle!!

Can you get magazine's on Kindles?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13576 by Todd Phillips
Call me old fashion, but I prefer the real magazine

13 years 3 months ago #13613 by scarman1313
every photography magazine I buy has about 95% advertising in it.

13 years 3 months ago #13660 by arnold.james
Judging by the photography magazines carrried by my local Barnes and Noble, they aren't going to disappear anytime in the near future. 10 years from now? Who knows. But I have a feeling they'll be around for a long time.

Remember the prediction about a "paperless environment" with the advent of the personal computer? Hasn't happened, has it. If anything, the personal computer has generated MORE paper, at least in my life.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024