Advice for wedding guests who enjoy photography

12 years 8 months ago #139617 by Henry Peach
A comment I hear over and over again from brides is how much they LOVE photos of things that were going on at their wedding that they were unaware of. If you want to make photos that the couple will treasure you should head in the opposite direction of the professional photographer. There is no reason to hang out and shoot the family portraits with the pro.

First of all, there is no chance your pop-up flash portraits are going to look as nice as my off camera softbox portraits. Set side by side the contents of our photos are going to look very similar, but the difference in the lighting is going to be significant. Given a choice I guarantee they'll be choosing my family portraits for their albums rather than the ones you snapped over my shoulder. It's not a secret technique, it's just real life.

Second the couple would really like to get these over with as quickly as possible so they can join you at the party! It's hard enough wrangling the people that are in the photos. A couple of extra enthusiasts can easily double or triple the time required to get these portraits. Your ideas are wonderful, but the bride and I already discussed all these things during several planning meetings. I am doing exactly what she requested. There is always a compromise between all possible portraits, and how much time they are willing to spend on them. If it's important to the couple and/or their parents it's on my list.

Third I'm not over there at the bar, hors d'oeuvre table, etc... They would really enjoy photos from the cocktail hour. Here's the big secret: they'll probably like them even better than the family portraits I'm taking! They are only putting up with posed family portraits because mom insisted. They'd much rather have photos of their friends and family enjoying the spread they spent a lot of money on (and the B & G are hungry and thirsty too! ). Here is your chance to make some unique photos, and thrill the B & G. Take it and run! They will thank you for it. And since it'll make my job easier, I will too. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 8 months ago #139624 by mj~shutterbugg
So very true HP! :agree:

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 8 months ago #139627 by photobod
Great advice, well said. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago #139633 by KCook
On occasion I have been guilty of hanging around the wedding photog. But it was to learn, not to direct or compete.

shameless parasite

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #139817 by Tuscany
This was a good read, thanks for posting

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #139841 by Phil0
That's great, but although I am not a pro, I find this post to be sorta insulting to some of the photographers here. I am sure there are photographers on this forum who have photographed weddings, and then are invited to a family/friend's wedding but is not the hired photographer. However they still want to get the shots they are used to getting when they shoot a wedding.

What you're saying is...shoot else where, away from the photographer. Sounds to me you had issues with people crowding your wedding event with their cameras.

12 years 8 months ago #139893 by KCook

... issues with people crowding your wedding event ...

Ok, I will play the goat. Why would a professional not have issues with other photogs crowding the session he was contracted to shoot?!?! Have weddings now become paparazzi festivals?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #140024 by Missy J
:goodpost:

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #140063 by Henry Peach

Phil0 wrote: That's great, but although I am not a pro, I find this post to be sorta insulting to some of the photographers here. I am sure there are photographers on this forum who have photographed weddings, and then are invited to a family/friend's wedding but is not the hired photographer. However they still want to get the shots they are used to getting when they shoot a wedding.

What you're saying is...shoot else where, away from the photographer. Sounds to me you had issues with people crowding your wedding event with their cameras.

I can only speculate as to why someone would hire me to do the photography rather then their photographer friends or family. Possibly they want their family and friends to attend as guests, have fun and not to have to work. Maybe they prefer my portfolio. There could be many other reasons.

It's one thing if the bride and groom request other photographers to get certain photos. I would be unlikely to agree to such a situation if it involved the posed portraits I was creating, and would recommend finding another photographer when this was brought to my attention during initial consultations. In 350+ weddings I've never had to make that recommendation. It's another thing if the bride and groom have requested that all guests not involved in the family portraits move over to the cocktail area for food and drink so that we can finish their requested portraits quickly and efficiently. They want to get the posed photos over with so they can join the party.

Additional photographers, especially ones who have not been involved in any of the planning, can be distractions. Not all the time. At most weddings I shoot there are several guests who stick around and manage to unobtrusively take photos as I'm getting the posed portraits done. I don't have a problem with those folks. But when too many hang around, chat with the people in the photos, get in the scene, try to rearrange the posing, etc... it throws all of our planning out the window, and can turn something that should have taken 15-20 min into 45 min of herding cats. It's not only frustrating for me, but also for the bride and groom. If you intend to get involved in the wedding photography I think it's polite to discuss this with the couple long before the wedding, so they can discuss it with their photographer, and if they do want you to do some of the photography you can also be involved in the planning.

I was just trying to give some advice as to how we could all help them capture special memories in wonderful photos. At most weddings there is more than enough time and subject matter for everyone, but there are some things that the B & G have given me the responsibility to get done. In the weddings I've been hired to photograph getting these sorts of photos finished in a timely manner is almost always one of their priorities.

My advice is meant sincerely, and not as an insult. I follow it when I am a wedding guest. I can't stand leaving home without my camera either, but I find it easy to avoid troubling the hired photographer. I love photography, and understand that other folks do too. To me it just doesn't make much sense trying to get the same photos as another photographer. Especially if it becomes a distraction. As guest or the hired photographer I worry about what the B & G want rather than what I want.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024