What do you think about wearing a photography vest?

13 years 3 months ago #14267 by Chipper
I have looked at getting one, just haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet. What are some recommended brands on these or does it matter?

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14342 by Stealthy Ninja
While I'll never look as cool and awesome as scarman does in his vest, I do wear one quite often. Even when I don't take photos. :blink:

Lucky I'm just cool enough to make it look good. :whistle: :whistle:

Honestly, I think they have a geeky reputation because geeky guys wear them and don't know how to pick other clothing to wear under them that's not gonna make them look like a total tool.

I mean check out this awesome dude:

;)

Personally I have two vests. A light brown/beige one (for when I'm going out hiking and really don't care what people think) and a dark blue one (for the other times, this one can actually look good if I pick the right clothes to go with it, sorta geek chic).

I got both for about $9USD. They're a brand called Pro-Camfis and usually they're about $80USD or more, but I got them in one of Hong Kong's many outlet/seconds stores. There is nothing obviously wrong with them... in fact I would have paid full price if need be, but luckily it didn't need to be. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #14350 by photobod
I do weddings and portraits mostly, so no need for a vest, I like to blend in with the wedding guest so wear a suit most of the time unless its themed, I did a goth wedding last year so wore goth clothing, think a vest over that would have looked very geeky, I am going to try and do a few landscapes this year so who knows maybe I will need one then

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #14351 by photobod
Hi xmas65, have a look at www.scottevest.com I have know idea if it is suitable for photography but it is designed for women, let me know if it works for you

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #14362 by Rob pix4u2

Chipper wrote: I have looked at getting one, just haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet. What are some recommended brands on these or does it matter?

Domke makes a good quality vest and a jacket that the sleeves zip off of to become a vest, Lowepro, Nikon, and Tamrac all make photo vests. I have Domke and a Tamrac vest. The Tamrac fit is better on my wife so that has become her vest. I only wear a vest when shooting sports or out on the trail doing landscapes/hiking to a location. When we shoot weddings we dress for the occasion ,and portrait work is in business attire.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #14390 by Overread
Aren't these vest hot on you during the summer months?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14393 by crystal
I actually have one. Well I should say, I think it's actually a fishing vest, but it worked well for a photographers vest. However I did see a photographers vest in B&H catalog that I wanted. I love using the vest, it worked out well, I just want an actual photographers vest because it's longer and the pockets are made better for lenses.

In the end, I bought myself a really nice backpack and I haven't touch the vest in a couple of years.

I still have the vest and a slingshot camera bag in case I just want to carry a couple of things and not a whole 25lb backpack camera bag.
13 years 3 months ago #14394 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Gee I wear one all the time when i am shooting a game, always have, always will probably. my profile pic I am wearing my Domke jacket which can become a vest. very convenient to have all of your incidentals at hand, very warm when in a cold hockey arena and very easy to find me in a crowd during a championship celebration on the ice after the team won the Kelly Cup.

That is the one I saw in B&H and thought about getting. But I ended up buying the camera bag I do have and haven't thought about a vest since.
13 years 3 months ago #14396 by crystal

Oscar Cohen wrote: Can you easily carry lenses in these? Or we talking small items like batteries and memory cards?

The vest I have (which is no where near what Rob has) I was able to carry my camera, 18-135mm, 70-300mm, 105 macro, 50mm, lensbaby, sb600, memory cards, batteries, small notepad & pen. water and food.
13 years 3 months ago #14398 by Rob pix4u2

Overread wrote: Aren't these vest hot on you during the summer months?

I have a DOMKE ventilated vest for the summer months as well as my jacket for the winter.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #14399 by crystal

Rob pix4u2 wrote: depends on what and where you are shooting, do you shoot sports ? Or are you in an environment where you have time to get into your pack to change lenses quickly ? A lot of the time my stuff has to be done right now and I don't have time to remove the pack, open it up root for my next lens etc etc... hockey moves too fast for that. the vest/jacket is the answer to having access to my extra gear at my finger tips when I need it.

This is true. That is what I loved about using the vest. I am always changing lenses. I can go from my 18-135 to 105macro to 50-500 within 30mins. All depending what I see at that moment. And it's usually in that order. lol
13 years 3 months ago #14400 by crystal

Screamin Scott wrote: Quite a few people I know buy fishing vests from Cabelos as they cost less than photo vests & are basically the same thing

that's where I got mine. haha
13 years 3 months ago #14402 by crystal

Overread wrote: Aren't these vest hot on you during the summer months?

The one I have, I don't get hot. It's actually nice. I can wear a tanktop and the vest. :)
13 years 3 months ago #14550 by Wildfire
I've not seen one of these upfront in person, however I would wear one assuming it was comfortable.

13 years 3 months ago #14591 by spaceman
Vest, definiitely. Keeps both arms free and helps to discourage thieves.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024