What do you think about wearing a photography vest?

13 years 3 months ago #14161 by Jeffster
Is this the ultimate photography geek wear or do every day photographers wear these? Or do you think you would look like a tool wearing this loaded up with all your gear? Looks like it might be handing, but then again all the same gear could be in a back pack. Just won't have the same ease of access to it.

What are your thoughts?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14165 by scarman1313
gee I like mine.

13 years 3 months ago #14167 by Rob pix4u2

Jeffster wrote: Is this the ultimate photography geek wear or do every day photographers wear these? Or do you think you would look like a tool wearing this loaded up with all your gear? Looks like it might be handing, but then again all the same gear could be in a back pack. Just won't have the same ease of access to it.

What are your thoughts?

Gee I wear one all the time when i am shooting a game, always have, always will probably. my profile pic I am wearing my Domke jacket which can become a vest. very convenient to have all of your incidentals at hand, very warm when in a cold hockey arena and very easy to find me in a crowd during a championship celebration on the ice after the team won the Kelly Cup.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #14171 by Oscar Cohen
Can you easily carry lenses in these? Or we talking small items like batteries and memory cards?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14180 by Rob pix4u2
Lenses like an 80-200 f2.8/300 f4, 24-70 f2.8, flash units , light meter, H2O bottle, film(8-10 rolls), Voice recorder for interviews, pens, notebook, extra camera batteries, Press ID. etc. all fit in a DOMKE vest at the same time.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

13 years 3 months ago #14190 by Village Clown
I'm sorry but those vest are not for me, honestly I would rather carry in my backpack.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14197 by Rob pix4u2
depends on what and where you are shooting, do you shoot sports ? Or are you in an environment where you have time to get into your pack to change lenses quickly ? A lot of the time my stuff has to be done right now and I don't have time to remove the pack, open it up root for my next lens etc etc... hockey moves too fast for that. the vest/jacket is the answer to having access to my extra gear at my finger tips when I need it.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #14207 by Silver Fox
What is funny is that during summer months I will wear the vest, straw like hat, shorts and sneakers. My wife says I look like a dork nearly all the time! :lol:

I know photographers are all about looking cool, but hey, I'm not out there to win a fashion show. I like how easy I can access everything. ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14212 by studioaphoto
I wore one years ago, and every once in a while now. Normally I just grab my backpack and stuff the smaller gear I use on a normal basis in the pockets of my cargo pants. I'll never get rid of it in the event I need it.

Tanis
13 years 3 months ago #14230 by zianelli
Depends on the time and the place for me. Out in the field or on my own time, I do occasionally wear one. Shooting weddings or formal occasions, never. I always try to look at least as good as - if not better than - the groom when I'm shooting weddings and I have yet to see a bride that has allowed her groom to wear a photogrpahy vest at the wedding.

13 years 3 months ago #14234 by xmas65
I think I might like one. Seems like it would be good for distributing the weight of your lenses and also easier to access stuff on a walk or hike. I have looked at different ones but haven't really found one for a woman, seems like they are all geared for men. Now don't get me wrong I don't mean pink or flowery or "girlie" just made to fit a woman.
Any women out there wear one?
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #14236 by Baydream
The one I have has pockets large enough for lenses. It is an older Nikon Vestrap. I will be selling it as I just received a Cotton Carrier for "treks" and have a backpack for other shoots.
The Vestrap has straps that attached to the vest and the camera to take the load off your neck. It is a bit heavy though.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14238 by Screamin Scott
Quite a few people I know buy fishing vests from Cabelos as they cost less than photo vests & are basically the same thing

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #14249 by Joves
Well I have never worn one myself. I usually have on my BDU shirt on since Im in the woods alot, that and it keeps the N.Az sun from cooking me. Everything else is iin my backpack. WHen Im out shooting it is my being slow time.

13 years 3 months ago #14264 by ageowns
I find when I shoot conferences there is very little other photography going on, so the vest identifies me as a "sanctioned" photographer and helps put the attendees at ease a bit.

I find them very helpful, but I wear them on very specific instances (like the conferences, or safari)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024