1st Photo Contest

9 years 4 months ago #144019 by Papabear63
ok, the camera club at work is having a photo contest and i have to select 3 pictures to submit for it. your help in choosing and critiques are welcomed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #144069 by prayer_warriorsx2
I would go with #1, and the nightime city shot (level it first) and the bridge shot (level that one as well)

Fire & Ice Photography

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #144071 by McBeth Photography
#1 is the best in my mind. :beerbang:

It is what it is.

9 years 4 months ago #144072 by Maria21
My vote is for the guitar, the NYC skyline (I like it as is..the shoreline seems more natural) & the bar (I would up the brightness to bring out more of the midtones)

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging

9 years 4 months ago #144113 by photobod

Maria21 wrote: My vote is for the guitar, the NYC skyline (I like it as is..the shoreline seems more natural) & the bar (I would up the brightness to bring out more of the midtones)

:agree: :agree: :agree: clean up the guitar as well it is very dusty. good luck. :judge: :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #144128 by Baydream
I go for #1 , the bridge (straighten) and the sailboat (recrop to get better comp).

DO they have categories or just "open" entries?

Oh, and big hint. Really work on titles. A clever title can add "points" to a photo. Seen it numerous times in competitions.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 4 months ago #144135 by chasrich
#1 seems to be the strongest entry. The tilt on half the boat shots is a nautical problem that I have faced and tried to correct while composing. The waterline horizon will give you away every time if it's not the vertical reflection in the water. I use those keys to help the camera find level - that and Dramamine... :rofl:

Let us know how you do in the contest.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

9 years 4 months ago #144136 by butterflygirl921
#1 and the city shot just straighten it out

9 years 4 months ago #144139 by Gower
I go with the jet ski one. It's a good action picture. Although everyone is choosing 1, I can't as I am not crazy about B&W pics.

9 years 4 months ago #145388 by Moose 5
Hey, let us know how the contest went.

I like 1, 5 and 6

9 years 4 months ago #145399 by Mike Davis
No. 1 is the strongest shot I think but the cityscape may have a broader appeal to the judges just needs a little straightening that's IMHO. Good luck with the contest.

9 years 4 months ago #145400 by robbie
#1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
The skier if you have one with him not so close the edge of the frame...no space for him to ski into.
Goodluck.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #145414 by Papabear63

robbie wrote: #1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
The skier if you have one with him not so close the edge of the frame...no space for him to ski into.
Goodluck.

thanks Robbie,
well i had cropped out the back of the boat and the motor of the boat i was on to get that shot, both were blurry in the picture. i was surprised the pictures came out that good truthfully.
I was planning on try to re-shoot the first picture again after I clean the guitar up some, i didnt realized it was that dirty until afterwards :rofl: however you mentioned toning down the whites...how???

9 years 4 months ago #145417 by Papabear63
Thanks all for your comments and critiques, i have to submit them by the 30th so i have a week to get corrections done. i shall let you know how it all turns out as soon as I do.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #145421 by robbie

Papabear63 wrote:

robbie wrote: #1..guitar but toned down the whites...the piece of clothing is pulling your eyes out of the image,ditto the white strip of the guitar...the white 'star' knob ...
The sailboat it will be.
Goodluck.

thanks Robbie,
well i had cropped out the back of the boat and the motor of the boat i was on to get that shot, both were blurry in the picture. i was surprised the pictures came out that good truthfully.
I was planning on try to re-shoot the first picture again after I clean the guitar up some, i didnt realized it was that dirty until afterwards :rofl: however you mentioned toning down the whites...how???

Very easy...select it and tone it down...brightness/contrast....do each separately but since you are going to reshoot it you might choose not to wear white.
Tried it but doesn`t stand the scrutiny...try different flash positions and distance.I know you will get it.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021