Shoulder and right arm ache from camera

12 years 7 months ago #147281 by Happy Hour
How do you all condition your self for longer shooting sessions? I've noticed that my shoulders make a clicking noise and are sore after a long weekend of shooting. My right arm is tired and both are in pain for a few days.

I'm just thinking as I get older this will get worse, and it only bothers me when I go off and shooting for a few hours. I would like to hear what others are doing to offset this or condition your body?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #147282 by Riggs
If I plan on shooting all weekend, I try to use the tripod as much as possible and only carry the lens I plan on using at the moment. If what I am shooting requires me to sit for hours, I will get up every 30mins and walk around.

12 years 7 months ago #147294 by Dori

Riggs wrote: If I plan on shooting all weekend, I try to use the tripod as much as possible and only carry the lens I plan on using at the moment. If what I am shooting requires me to sit for hours, I will get up every 30mins and walk around.

:agree:

Also, remember to stretch your arms, neck and your back frequently.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 7 months ago #147307 by chasrich
Marry a pack animal... One that can even carry you if need be.

Disclaimer: The above was just a joke. Please don't anyone point this out to Sherrie or she will kick me to the ground then stomp me into it. Last time she did this she dropped my camera bag... :rofl: :rofl:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 7 months ago #147324 by U8Later
Well I don't normally spend hours shooting, but this one time I was sick, but still went out to shoot. Came home still sick and also achey. I took a nice hot bath. Afterwards layed down on the heating pad. Pretty much I didn't move for several hours.

12 years 7 months ago #147350 by icepics
When I was taking pictures for a local team, I always felt it the first few games of the season - took me a few games to get back into 'game shape'. But I usually move around and don't stay in the same place or same position long so that may be different than what you do.

Unrelated to photography I developed a frozen shoulder and from what I was told by therapists etc. the shoulder can be more problematic being a ball and socket joint. Have you thought about asking your doctor about treatment that might help? I don't know what else might help other than scheduling breaks.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #147388 by John Landolfi
I ran into a similar problem when using the 70-200mm f/2.8 on a D3 in situations that required holding or following focus for extended periods. Not only was there muscle fatigue, but I would eventually be unable to hold the rig steady enough even for VR to help (low light, to boot!) I pretty much solved the problem when I found a belt pouch, made by Manfrotto, which can hold the foot of a monopod. So I mount the rig on a ballhead on the monopod,insert it into the pouch, and it distributes the weight better, relieving the stress on the arms and shoulders. You'll still want a warm bath and a massage after a long shoot...:)

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #147398 by photobod
I shoot weddings usually starting around 8-30am and running up to about 10-00pm, its a hell of a day and at first my shoulders would ache for days afterwards, now I use a monopod for most of the day and this makes a huge difference, its still tiring and I need to lay down in a darkened room for a few hours afterwards :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: but the monopod takes the weight for me.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024