Wedding,Whitebalance,metering

12 years 7 months ago #148253 by tennis man
so if a photographer shoots weddings, how often are they changing or at least monitoring where their white balance is?

12 years 7 months ago #148256 by lawson fhoto
Shoot aperture mode in RAW, and correct to the dress/tux in post processing.

12 years 7 months ago #148259 by tennis man

lawson fhoto wrote: Shoot aperture mode in RAW, and correct to the dress/tux in post processing.

I don't like shooting raw. It's a pain.

12 years 7 months ago #148262 by lawson fhoto
Shooting a wedding in .jpg only? :ohmy:

12 years 7 months ago #148263 by tennis man

lawson fhoto wrote: Shooting a wedding in .jpg only? :ohmy:

Ahh . . . not another JPEG/RAW debate. Isn't the post processing incredibly tedious for shooting in RAW?

12 years 7 months ago #148266 by lawson fhoto
No, not if you know what your doing, and raw will provide a superior file to work on, I shoot raw + jpeg, the jpegs become proofs after a batch resize makes them useless for prints but OK for on screen view, I then wait till the order before editing the raws.

12 years 7 months ago #148267 by rmeyer7
Though it might be tedious, I think weddings are the one time every photographer should use RAW. The rates you charge for a wedding should be taking into account the post processing time. And a wedding is one of the most important days of a client's life, so the attention and diligence we use in photographing and post processing their photos from that day, IMHO, should be something we take very seriously as photographers. There are no do-overs for these precious photos, we have to get them right :)

12 years 7 months ago #148275 by lawson fhoto

rmeyer7 wrote: Though it might be tedious, I think weddings are the one time every photographer should use RAW. The rates you charge for a wedding should be taking into account the post processing time. And a wedding is one of the most important days of a client's life, so the attention and diligence we use in photographing and post processing their photos from that day, IMHO, should be something we take very seriously as photographers. There are no do-overs for these precious photos, we have to get them right :)

:agree: There are times raw is the only option and wedding is it.

12 years 7 months ago #148277 by tennis man
Last time I shot in RAW, it looked so grainy. Probably user defect again? :unsure:

12 years 7 months ago #148280 by MLKstudios
Sounds like you need to simplify your post work a bit. Try Adobe Lightroom when using RAW.

It allows you to edit hundreds (or thousands) of images quickly.

HTH

eta These tutorials will get you running:

tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #148281 by lawson fhoto

tennis man wrote: Last time I shot in RAW, it looked so grainy. Probably user defect again? :unsure:

If it was grainy, you either had really high ISO or not using any noise reduction.

12 years 7 months ago #148282 by tennis man

MLKstudios wrote: Sounds like you need to simplify your post work a bit. Try Adobe Lightroom when using RAW.

It allows you to edit hundreds (or thousands) of images quickly.

HTH

eta These tutorials will get you running:

tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

Thanks, but I don't like shooting raw, I find it to be a pain...no matter what software I PP with.

12 years 7 months ago #148285 by MLKstudios
You can lead a horse to water...

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #148346 by photobod
Can you imagine if you get it wrong in camera and you shot in jpeg only, you would be so limited in what you could do, I woul;dnt want to be facing a client and telling them I screwed up and couldnt do anything about it.
As for processing raw being a pain it is actualy no different to processing a jpeg, you bring the pictures into your software and work on them, the difference is that in raw you can alter so much more if you want to, it gives you more options, to a photographer it is a bonus, it sounds to me like you are very inexperienced and scared of raw.
In photography we strive for the best for our clients or friends and family, that is because we care, Its not an argument about whats best jpeg or raw, there is no argument it is a plain fact that raw is best, it is the photographers best friend, his negative, what could be simpler than that.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149113 by Henry Peach
Which is more tedious?

Setting a custom wb every time the lighting color changes: indoor, outdoor, different/mixed artificial lighting, flash or no flash, light reflecting off different colored walls, etc....

or

Adjust wb by eye on a calibrated monitor.

Personally I find constantly checking for custom wb on a busy wedding day much more tedious.

Out-of-camera processing can be automated just like in-camera processing. You could shoot raw, and batch process all your photos with the raw software that came with the camera. It should be able to duplicate the in-camera, jpeg processing (Canon's DPP will for sure). Then you could just adjust wb as needed.

Setting the camera to raw is going to turn off most (maybe not all) of the in-camera noise reduction, but I find the noise reduction tools available out-of-camera to be much nicer than the ones installed in cameras. When I'm pushing the limits of high ISO I definitely want a raw file to work with, not a jpeg that's already got in-camera NR and sharpening artifacts embedded.

If you absolutely don't want to shoot raw, then you have to live with the limitations of the in-camera processing. That means regularly adjusting wb, or living with what you get. We used to just accept it. Back the days of film I only carried daylight balanced film. I had some warming and cooling filters, but when shooting weddings I just lived with whatever color the light (and lab processing) gave me. In comparison raw processing seems like a wonderful dream. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024