Making a flash website for photography studio?

12 years 7 months ago #149562 by Jeanne Merlo
I'm getting mixed reviews from friends. Some say flash web sites are old school and others are saying it depends on how it's made. Personally I think flash looks cool. Do you think having a flash website is is suitable for a professional photography studio?

What is the typical cost for a flash website to be designed? One friend told me that it will use more bandwidth than typical site?

12 years 7 months ago #149576 by KCook
Most of the "pro" hosting sites are Flash, such as Zenfolio. Then any bandwidth issues become the host's problem, not yours.

lazy Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149584 by rmeyer7
My full-time job is as a web designer (photography is my part time side work), so I think I can give you some useful info here :)

Flash can be considered "old school" for a couple of different reasons. First, in terms of the standards that web designers follow, making an all-Flash website is something that hasn't been recommended since the early 2000s. Even then it wasn't highly recommended...it just simply wasn't frowned upon yet.

Secondly and much more importantly, it's old school in the sense that a lot of new devices can't display Flash content. And by "a lot", I mean anything made by Apple that runs iOS. So the iPod touch, iPhone and iPad will not be able to access your site if it's all done in Flash. And believe me, this is a big segment. And it's growing.

About the bandwidth issue, that is true as well. And it's true for the same reason that web standards direct us designers not to make all-Flash websites. The reason: Flash websites don't really have content, they are 100% media. Flash is, essentially, graphics with motion. By contrast, a standard website has its content all in the form of text, with media just accounting for some photos, graphics and video that supplement the content.

Media of any kind uses more bandwidth than text, because you're talking about much bigger files. To give you an idea, look at the size of a Word document stored on your computer, vs. the size of a photo. The photo is many times larger (in bytes) than the document comprised of text.

The other downside is, search engines like Google and Yahoo are able to find your site and decide that it's relevant to certain search terms because they read the text in your site's code. If your site is made all out of media and not out of text, that creates a problem. Those search engines won't find you as easily, so when someone searches for a photographer, your site will be less likely to pop up in the search results. (The search engines and newer versions of Flash have worked on this issue so it's a little better than it used to be, but still not nearly as good as a regular site with real content.)

I know this is a little lengthy...but hopefully it helps :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 7 months ago #149586 by rmeyer7

KCook wrote: Most of the "pro" hosting sites are Flash, such as Zenfolio. Then any bandwidth issues become the host's problem, not yours.

lazy Kelly

Zenfolio does use some Flash, but for the most part it's actually XHTML, CSS and JavaScript. Those 3 combined can do almost anything that Flash can do. :)

12 years 7 months ago #149607 by Stealthy Ninja
Just FYI I just checked and my smugmug account's slideshow shows up on iPad. Looks good too.
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149624 by KCook

rmeyer7 wrote:

KCook wrote: Most of the "pro" hosting sites are Flash, such as Zenfolio. Then any bandwidth issues become the host's problem, not yours.

lazy Kelly

Zenfolio does use some Flash, but for the most part it's actually XHTML, CSS and JavaScript. Those 3 combined can do almost anything that Flash can do. :)

Good to know. When I right click on a photo no URL or "Save As" is shown. Which is similar behavior to Flash. So I assumed Flash was the case. My bad.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago #149712 by rmeyer7
Actually Kelly, I think both Zenfolio and SmugMug probably use some Flash for slideshows, though the sites themselves are not all Flash. I would bet that they also detect the type of device a user is on, and if it's a mobile device (or an iOS device), they have an alternate version of the slideshow that doesn't use Flash. (That's where the CSS thing that I mentioned earlier comes in; it can use an entirely different set of style instructions based on the device the user is on.) That's a great option since it can suit everybody, and it's something those sites already have incorporated. So when you mentioned the issues becoming their problem, you were absolutely right.

The issue for the OP is looking at is a little different, as it would be a standalone site developed all in Flash and not accessible to those Apple mobile devices. And having your site built with both a full browser version in Flash and a non-Flash mobile version would be a lot more expensive!

Jeanne, if you'd like some more specific info on good options and what kind of prices you may be looking at, feel free to message me!

12 years 7 months ago #149849 by Jeanne Merlo

rmeyer7 wrote: My full-time job is as a web designer (photography is my part time side work), so I think I can give you some useful info here :)

Flash can be considered "old school" for a couple of different reasons. First, in terms of the standards that web designers follow, making an all-Flash website is something that hasn't been recommended since the early 2000s. Even then it wasn't highly recommended...it just simply wasn't frowned upon yet.

Secondly and much more importantly, it's old school in the sense that a lot of new devices can't display Flash content. And by "a lot", I mean anything made by Apple that runs iOS. So the iPod touch, iPhone and iPad will not be able to access your site if it's all done in Flash. And believe me, this is a big segment. And it's growing.

About the bandwidth issue, that is true as well. And it's true for the same reason that web standards direct us designers not to make all-Flash websites. The reason: Flash websites don't really have content, they are 100% media. Flash is, essentially, graphics with motion. By contrast, a standard website has its content all in the form of text, with media just accounting for some photos, graphics and video that supplement the content.

Media of any kind uses more bandwidth than text, because you're talking about much bigger files. To give you an idea, look at the size of a Word document stored on your computer, vs. the size of a photo. The photo is many times larger (in bytes) than the document comprised of text.

The other downside is, search engines like Google and Yahoo are able to find your site and decide that it's relevant to certain search terms because they read the text in your site's code. If your site is made all out of media and not out of text, that creates a problem. Those search engines won't find you as easily, so when someone searches for a photographer, your site will be less likely to pop up in the search results. (The search engines and newer versions of Flash have worked on this issue so it's a little better than it used to be, but still not nearly as good as a regular site with real content.)

Incredible answer, I really appreciate your detailed input. I really need to put some thought into this and you just armed me with some good information to consider. Again, thank you :cheers:

12 years 7 months ago #150105 by crystal

rmeyer7 wrote: My full-time job is as a web designer (photography is my part time side work), so I think I can give you some useful info here :)

:agree: :thumbsup: Took the words right out of my mouth.
12 years 7 months ago #150106 by crystal

rmeyer7 wrote:

lazy Kelly

:agree:
12 years 7 months ago #150109 by crystal

rmeyer7 wrote: Actually Kelly, I think both Zenfolio and SmugMug probably use some Flash for slideshows, though the sites themselves are not all Flash. I would bet that they also detect the type of device a user is on, and if it's a mobile device (or an iOS device), they have an alternate version of the slideshow that doesn't use Flash. (That's where the CSS thing that I mentioned earlier comes in; it can use an entirely different set of style instructions based on the device the user is on.) That's a great option since it can suit everybody, and it's something those sites already have incorporated. So when you mentioned the issues becoming their problem, you were absolutely right.

The issue for the OP is looking at is a little different, as it would be a standalone site developed all in Flash and not accessible to those Apple mobile devices. And having your site built with both a full browser version in Flash and a non-Flash mobile version would be a lot more expensive!

Jeanne, if you'd like some more specific info on good options and what kind of prices you may be looking at, feel free to message me!

While using Zenfolio people can sign up onto google analytics, which will show the OS people are browsing the site on. My site has been browsed on iphones, droids and blackberries. So as it's been stated, flash is used for the slideshow, but everything else is not flash.

In the end, if you want your site to be found on search engines....don't use flash. Or if you want too, only use flash as an intro page. Flash is cool, but flash will not help people find you on the net to gain more clients = more $$$
12 years 7 months ago #150276 by Martha
How much are you all spending on hosting per month?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150308 by rmeyer7

crystal wrote: While using Zenfolio people can sign up onto google analytics, which will show the OS people are browsing the site on. My site has been browsed on iphones, droids and blackberries. So as it's been stated, flash is used for the slideshow, but everything else is not flash.

In the end, if you want your site to be found on search engines....don't use flash. Or if you want too, only use flash as an intro page. Flash is cool, but flash will not help people find you on the net to gain more clients = more $$$

I'm glad Crystal mentioned Google Analytics. Whether you go with a service like Zenfolio or a completely independent site custom built for your needs, sign up with Google Analytics. When you know what sources of traffic you're getting, you can add or adjust things on your site accordingly. It's powerful and free, so make sure you use it!

12 years 7 months ago #150469 by CatherineW

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Just FYI I just checked and my smugmug account's slideshow shows up on iPad. Looks good too.

Are iPads able to show flash now?

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #150522 by crystal

Martha wrote: How much are you all spending on hosting per month?

hosting through godaddy about $10/month.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024