At what focal length does a lens transition from wide angle to zoom?

12 years 7 months ago #149863 by Janos
I hope my question is coming out right? If you had a box full of prime lenses 15mm, 20mm, 24mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm (I'm just making up random numbers) at what point do you stop saying this is a wide angle lens, and this is a zoom lens?

I was reading one persons thoughts who claimed that it's anything after 50mm. Seeing that 50mm was closest to what the eye sees?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149865 by Baydream
Big difference between wide angle and zoom.
Perhaps you meant wide angle and telephoto?
In film parlance and full-frame (35mm) digital, 50 mm is generally considered the cross over point at which the lanes matches the human eye. With crop sensor camera, the effect is gained for about a 35mm lens.

There are wide angle zooms, telephoto zooms, wide angle primes and telephoto primes.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149870 by Janos

Baydream wrote: Big difference between wide angle and zoom.
Perhaps you meant wide angle and telephoto?
In film parlance and full-frame (35mm) digital, 50 mm is generally considered the cross over point at which the lanes matches the human eye. With crop sensor camera, the effect is gained for about a 35mm lens.

There are wide angle zooms, telephoto zooms, wide angle primes and telephoto primes.

Yep, you figured out what I was trying to say. So 35mm is that cross over point from wide angle to telephoto. Exactly the information I was looking for. Just interesting to see how manufactures market these lenses and such. I'm referring to the verbiage used in their ads.

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #149884 by KCook
Also depends on who you ask. I'm old school. In full frame terms anything under 40mm is wide angle to me. But lots of today's kids scoff at anything over 28mm being an acceptable WA. More thoughts on this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...e-our-natural-vision

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #149898 by MLKstudios
Zoom can be from wide to wider or telephoto to more telephoto, so isn't applicable. It simply means a lens with a variable focal length.

The crossover point is based on the format of the camera and is called the "normal" focal length.

For most Nikon DSLR's with APS-C chips it's close to 35mm. For Canon, it's closer to 30mm (their chip is a bit smaller). And for Olympus (and other 4/3rds cameras) it's near 25mm.

Longer than normal = telephoto.

Shorter than normal = wide angle.

Normal = diagonal of the format.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #149971 by Henry Peach
Rather than focal length you want to be considering field of view, which as has been mentioned is a combination of focal length and format. A normal lens is one with which the horizontal field of view is approximately 40 degrees.

A 50mm lens is:
very long on most compact camera formats
long on APS-C format
normal on 35mm format
wide on medium format
very wide on large format

Comparing lenses to human vision is an exercise in frustration IMO. The human eyes and mind create an image unlike any lens I've ever encountered. For instance here's info on the human vision field of view. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_eye#Field_of_view

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm
12 years 7 months ago #149997 by Bob Eaton
I was taught that anything under 50mm was considered wide angle. This refers to film, so digital may be different!!!!!!! :silly:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #150032 by Stealthy Ninja
I personally (assuming Full Frame/35mm/FX format) would put 35mm or wider as a wide angle. 36-60 as normal and 60+ as telephoto.

But I'm not the king of the lenses so YMMV.
12 years 7 months ago #150146 by Henry Peach

Bob Eaton wrote: I was taught that anything under 50mm was considered wide angle. This refers to film, so digital may be different!!!!!!! :silly:

It has nothing to do with film or digital. Just the format size. There are APS, 110, and half frame film cameras. A 50mm lens would be long on any of these.
12 years 7 months ago #150231 by Bob Eaton

Henry Peach wrote:

Bob Eaton wrote: I was taught that anything under 50mm was considered wide angle. This refers to film, so digital may be different!!!!!!! :silly:

It has nothing to do with film or digital. Just the format size. There are APS, 110, and half frame film cameras. A 50mm lens would be long on any of these.

True!!!!!!

12 years 7 months ago #150232 by Bob Eaton

KCook wrote: Also depends on who you ask. I'm old school. In full frame terms anything under 40mm is wide angle to me. But lots of today's kids scoff at anything over 28mm being an acceptable WA. More thoughts on this thread -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...e-our-natural-vision

Kelly Cook

What do kids know!!!!!! :catfight:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024