I have another idea, anyone tried this?

12 years 7 months ago #150159 by ccy 58
Halloween is coming up, like always I give out candy, I was thinking of taking some quick photos of the trick or treaters, giving my business card along with the candy and if the parents like the photos, they could buy them off of me.

Has anyone done this? What do you think of the idea?

12 years 7 months ago #150167 by geoffellis
the idea sounds nice, the implementation might be tricky, especially depending on local laws.

First of all, getting kids to stand still on halloween to take a picture? Its all about the next house. Chaperons/parents dont regularly come all the way to the door either... So would at the very least need to put a large sign near the enterance to the property detailing specifics.

Additionally, how would you let the parents see the images? show them live on an laptop or something? how would they decide if they were going to purchase? If you were thinking that perhaps they would just go to your website and look at all the photos of pretty kids... you may very well get in trouble for not having a model release, for a minor no less.

I would recommend you simply offer the service right then and there to the childs parent. If by no other means than signage on the property. Verbal offer if they approach the door.

Otherwise, if i were a parent watching my kids, saw a person open their door, take a picture, and hand my kids some candy, id be calling the police about a creep right then and there lol
12 years 7 months ago #150179 by ccy 58
Thanks geoffellis, I didn't think about any of what you posted. Didn't think I would need a model release sign just for a simple quick photograph of the kids in costumes.

12 years 7 months ago #150180 by knit4u
Actually, a neighbor of mine does this. He's not a photographer by any means, he just likes to take pictures of the kids all dressed up. He'll print out the images and when next Halloween comes around, the kids can pick up last years pictures. There are long lines at his house.

12 years 7 months ago #150181 by geoffellis
like i said it would depend on your local laws. model release probably isnt needed if youre going to make the photo exclusively available to the parent right then and there, or return for pickup. If like i said you planned on uploading it to your websites for parents to view online... thats public use and probably open to litigation. not that im saying anyone will... but the possibility is there.
12 years 7 months ago #150182 by geoffellis

knit4u wrote: Actually, a neighbor of mine does this. He's not a photographer by any means, he just likes to take pictures of the kids all dressed up. He'll print out the images and when next Halloween comes around, the kids can pick up last years pictures. There are long lines at his house.

is he charging?

That might be a decent way to build a community/customer base. Chances are the 10-15 cents it costs to print an image is cheaper than candy. attach a business card to that and if the parent likes the photo they may become paying customers. shouldnt need a model release for this kind of setup

i would just re-iterate that you should still have some sort of signage lest a parent freaks out as to why a stranger is taking her kids pictures...
12 years 7 months ago #150242 by icepics
Geoff made some good points. This may not be that practical when the kids want to run on to the next house, and people are going to wonder about you snapping pictures of the kids... I wouldn't try taking pictures of kids trick or treating at random, people may not like it and unless they know you, you're a stranger to them. Parents are usually protective of their children.

Not sure what might work; you probably need to think thru all the steps that would be involved. Maybe you can figure out how you could do this so people can come to you if they want photos (instead of you taking photos of kids first and then trying to sell the parents a picture).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161290 by Stealthy Ninja
First thing I think is:

CREEEPY!
12 years 6 months ago #161399 by D Thompson
I think it would be a cute idea. To just take pictures of the kids in costumes, but that's as far as I would go. I wouldn't try to sell the pictures to the parents. If for some reason I couldn't get a picture of every single child, it would be no big deal either. I think for the most part parents won't mind the simple picture taking either. I am sure they take pictures of their own children dressed up, if they are in any Halloween parades, then everyone is taking their picture.

12 years 6 months ago #161678 by Stealthy Ninja
Free photo printed on site with business card attached. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024