how are engagement photos different than wedding photos?

12 years 7 months ago #151102 by CD DVD
A couple wants me to take their engagement photos. I am fine with doing just that, to gain experience. However what is the difference between engagement photos and wedding photos?

12 years 7 months ago #151104 by b0caj
Engagement photos are kind of a warm up to the wedding in my books. I get to know the couple, the couple gets to know me. I learn their 'flaws' when taking the photos and can do an even better job on the wedding day and hopefully they will be more comfortable then. Engagements are way more slack, typically in way more casual clothes, different location. They can be used for invites, save the dates etc. etc.

12 years 7 months ago #151106 by butterflygirl921
no wedding dress or ceremony. Seriously it's not all that different you want to capture how happy the couple are to be engaged.

12 years 7 months ago #151111 by W3L8
They are just photos of the happy couple.

12 years 7 months ago #151112 by CD DVD

b0caj wrote: Engagement photos are kind of a warm up to the wedding in my books. I get to know the couple, the couple gets to know me. I learn their 'flaws' when taking the photos and can do an even better job on the wedding day and hopefully they will be more comfortable then. Engagements are way more slack, typically in way more casual clothes, different location. They can be used for invites, save the dates etc. etc.

Sounds like you done a few engagement sessions. Thanks for your input.

12 years 7 months ago #151113 by CD DVD

butterflygirl921 wrote: no wedding dress or ceremony. Seriously it's not all that different you want to capture how happy the couple are to be engaged.

Thanks, I think i can handle that. :)

12 years 7 months ago #151116 by CD DVD
Now anyone here ever done engagement photos and not photograph the wedding? I'm afraid during the engagement shoot the couple may ask me to shoot their wedding. And I know I am not ready to photograph a wedding yet. So how do I politely tell them no?

12 years 7 months ago #151130 by b0caj

CD DVD wrote: Now anyone here ever done engagement photos and not photograph the wedding? I'm afraid during the engagement shoot the couple may ask me to shoot their wedding. And I know I am not ready to photograph a wedding yet. So how do I politely tell them no?

Just tell them you have never photographed a wedding before, and as must as you would love to continue the relationship with them, you think it would be best if they hire another photographer. If they insist that you would be their photographer, compromise with them. Tell them you will be the back up photographer, to gain experience for yourself and you could burn a couple of photos to CD for them.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #151132 by Henry Peach

CD DVD wrote: Now anyone here ever done engagement photos and not photograph the wedding? I'm afraid during the engagement shoot the couple may ask me to shoot their wedding. And I know I am not ready to photograph a wedding yet. So how do I politely tell them no?

Just say "I know I am not ready to photograph a wedding yet." :)

There is a big difference between a portrait session and covering a wedding. In a portrait session the entire time is dedicated to the creation of the photographs. You have the subjects' attention and full cooperation. On the wedding day there are a lot of other things going on that you have to coordinate with or work around. You won't always have full control over what's happening in front of the camera. Portions of the day might be very similar to a portrait session, but much of it will be event coverage.

Beyond the schedule and time differences the photographer has to deal with a lot more people on the wedding day. The emotional state of your subjects is often quite different than during a portrait session. During a portrait session it is usually acceptable to keep working on an idea until you get it right. On the wedding day you will be presented with a number of situations where you will be expected to get the shot right the first time with no opportunity for a second try.
12 years 7 months ago #151133 by CD DVD

b0caj wrote:

Just tell them you have never photographed a wedding before, and as must as you would love to continue the relationship with them, you think it would be best if they hire another photographer. If they insist that you would be their photographer, compromise with them. Tell them you will be the back up photographer, to gain experience for yourself and you could burn a couple of photos to CD for them.

Thanks, offering to be the back up photographer isn't a bad idea, but still not sure if I am ready yet for even that.

12 years 7 months ago #151135 by CD DVD

Henry Peach wrote:

Just say "I know I am not ready to photograph a wedding yet." :)

There is a big difference between a portrait session and covering a wedding. In a portrait session the entire time is dedicated to the creation of the photographs. You have the subjects' attention and full cooperation. On the wedding day there are a lot of other things going on that you have to coordinate with or work around. You won't always have full control over what's happening in front of the camera. Portions of the day might be very similar to a portrait session, but much of it will be event coverage.

Thanks. I never been to a wedding as a guest, so I'm not sure what actually goes on...to even guess as to what to shoot on the wedding day.

12 years 7 months ago #151138 by Henry Peach
My typical couple's portrait session takes 1.5 to 2 hours. We go to several different locations, and take a variety of posed and not-so-posed photos. We are all concentrating on the creation of the portraits. There is usually nothing else going on. The time has been scheduled for photography only.

My typical wedding coverage is more like 8 hours. It may start with candids of the couple getting ready. At some point we do concentrate on creating some portraits, but in most cases the time I am given is limited by everything else that needs to be achieved that day. My subjects aren't just the couple; good photos need to be made of all their friends and family, and the events and details of the day also. 9 times out of 10 other things run late, and it's almost always the scheduled portrait time that gets cut short to make up for it. It's a completely different situation for me. A couple's portrait session is a walk in the park. Photographing a wedding is a full day workout. :)
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #151207 by rmeyer7

Henry Peach wrote: My typical couple's portrait session takes 1.5 to 2 hours. We go to several different locations, and take a variety of posed and not-so-posed photos. We are all concentrating on the creation of the portraits. There is usually nothing else going on. The time has been scheduled for photography only.

My typical wedding coverage is more like 8 hours. It may start with candids of the couple getting ready. At some point we do concentrate on creating some portraits, but in most cases the time I am given is limited by everything else that needs to be achieved that day. My subjects aren't just the couple; good photos need to be made of all their friends and family, and the events and details of the day also. 9 times out of 10 other things run late, and it's almost always the scheduled portrait time that gets cut short to make up for it. It's a completely different situation for me. A couple's portrait session is a walk in the park. Photographing a wedding is a full day workout. :)

Everything HP said here is true, but I had to accentuate that last sentence a little bit. That is one thing I hadn't counted on until the first time I actually shot a wedding. I was actually inspired to get in better shape after all the running, squatting, etc. that is required to capture the important events of the day.

Also, a piece of advice to the OP - even if you're not confident as a backup photographer you should take the opportunity if it's available. The only way you're going to learn what goes on at a wedding is by being there. And the only way you'll learn what the must-have wedding shots are is by being there as a photographer :)

Let the couple know about your level of experience (that you don't have any when it comes to weddings) and don't charge for it unless they insist on paying you something. That way if you aren't able to get a lot of good photos, there are no expectations that you're falling short on. And if you do, it's a nice bonus for the couple, and for you.

Another idea, if the couple say that they really want to pay you, is to work out an agreement to do the shooting for free, but later give the option for them to purchase prints or a CD of any images that they particularly like.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #151211 by MLKstudios
HP, you left out the other days you spend working out what pictures to take (including the style they like -- more formal or more PJ style, or both), and the time it takes to edit and pull all the pieces together into a book or DVD (or both).

It's a three day job, at least.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #151212 by CD DVD

Henry Peach wrote: My typical couple's portrait session takes 1.5 to 2 hours. We go to several different locations, and take a variety of posed and not-so-posed photos. We are all concentrating on the creation of the portraits. There is usually nothing else going on. The time has been scheduled for photography only.

Thanks. I love how you worded that... photographing a wedding is a full day work out. lol I can believe that.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024