Keep as a back up or turn into infrared camera?

12 years 6 months ago #151800 by icepics
Guess it depends on how you use your camera(s), if you need a backup more than a camera for ir. If you need to be able to depend on your camera as a paid photographer you might want to have a backup. Maybe it depends too on how new your 5D is, if it's likely or not that you'd have problems with it and need an immediate backup.

I can see with some of the type photos you've done how you'd be interested in ir. Do you have any older SLRs that you could use as backup? Or is there someplace nearby that you could go rent a camera if you needed a backup right away?

Robbie maybe we need and ir thread! - or one for specialty cameras, special effects, etc. There aren't too many of us using the Film section, we could 'share'. Maybe that section could be for film, ir, fisheye, etc. - Film/Specialty or something.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #151817 by Addicted2Photos
+1 vote for infrared

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #151921 by robbie

Singa wrote:

robbie wrote:

Singa wrote:

robbie wrote:

Singa wrote: Those of you who have infrared cameras, do you shoot infrared often? Care to share some images?

There lots of Ir images that is posted here,look in the 'Clouds' thread for some.

Thanks, now could someone actually answer my question..those who shoot infrared do you shoot often? Often enough to make it worth while to change the camera.

Oh and what's the harm in posting some images here in this thread?

It`s called 'thread crapping' which isn`t nice,I won`t go there.It depends on 'you' that`s why MJ
is asking for the question,2 out 3 don`t use it often but I do.Your question was answered even before you asked it.

Alright I'm sorry I missed that part....the answer to my question.

Ok,apology accepted,i`m sorry too.Ir isn`t for everyone,the pbase link has unprocessed Ir images
if you want to download and try to process it...processing work flow link there as well.
As for Ir thread,there are so many started before plus only a few is interested in Ir...
for Ir info look here... www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...d-photography#114014

12 years 6 months ago #152027 by rob vorderman
MJ, I,m just new here but I already saw your interest in IR photography. I like IR too and have several converted cameras :) . They work like a regular camera.
I started out with a Hoya 72 IR filter but got fed up using a tripod on account of the long exposure time.

Your 10D is a perfect camera to have it converted.
You have a very nice website and IR will only broaden your photography horizon.
Just my 0.02Can.:lol: :lol:

Rob.

12 years 6 months ago #152208 by 2myboys
If I had a 2nd camera, I would vote for backup, but that is because I am not into shooting infrared.

12 years 6 months ago #152295 by mj~shutterbugg
OK all that said- I want the infrared, however do you think it would even be worth converting the 10D as it is only 6 mgp? I would not be able to enlarge any works above an 8x10 maybe an 11x14 in RAW.

Spend the money or sell and save for a better body to convert?

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #152350 by icepics
Wonder how much you'd get selling it? - that might help you decide how much you'd get to spend! (KEH you might know has an online quote feature).

I must have not ever looked at your website - you have some beautiful photos - some of those orchid photos (close ups) made me think of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings. Some are stunning and others are good but not as exceptional, wondered if you'd thought about editing your total number of images - I found it a lot of orchids to look thru. I wonder if you could price them higher, the quality is good enough I think. Guess that varies depending on where you sell them.

Well I got this off topic enough for now - sounds like you want to go for an infrared conversion, you could get some cool images I imagine.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #152732 by rob vorderman
MJ I'm glad that you decided to go IR.
The question is now how often did you fire the shutter. Most cameras are good for up to 100.000 times.
It would be a shame to get your camera converted and then the shutter would break.
Just something to keep in mind.

Rob.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024