50mm suppose to be equal to human vision

12 years 6 months ago #154012 by Vladimir
I've come to a conclusion. I don't think 50mm is equal to human vision, it seems to tight if you ask me. I think 35mm would be closer to what the human eye see's?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154015 by Baydream
The 50mm equation is based on 35mm film cameras and full sensor digitals. The 32-35mm is approximate for crop (APS) sensor digitals. The equation is different for medium and large format cameras.
Please, use the SEARCH FORUMS options for many more discussions of this subject.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154017 by Vladimir

Baydream wrote: The 50mm equation is based on 35mm film cameras and full sensor digitals. The 32-35mm is approximate for crop (APS) sensor digitals. The equation is different for medium and large format cameras.
Please, use the SEARCH FORUMS options for many more discussions of this subject.

I did, matter of fact I usually always use it. There are 1216 results for 50mm. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154022 by Dori
I found THIS result. ;)

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 6 months ago #154054 by icepics
I've read (and don't remember where) that 85/90-100mm was supposed to be comparable to the distance you see naturally. I also read something about how 50mm became standard and that it was apparently somewhat arbitrary (like companies making cameras just decided for no particular reason that 50mm would be the standard).

I have older viewfinders and rangefinders that have shorter than 50mm (often 45mm) and if they have interchangeable longer lenses available they're 85-90mm but I don't know how the lens length was determined. Or why it changed to 50mm.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154055 by Vladimir

icepics wrote: I've read (and don't remember where) that 85/90-100mm was supposed to be comparable to the distance you see naturally. I also read something about how 50mm became standard and that it was apparently somewhat arbitrary (like companies making cameras just decided for no particular reason that 50mm would be the standard).

I have older viewfinders and rangefinders that have shorter than 50mm (often 45mm) and if they have interchangeable longer lenses available they're 85-90mm but I don't know how the lens length was determined. Or why it changed to 50mm.

I have not heard this before. So 85 to 100mm is the magic number. Boy was I way off. Might need to try this. B)

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154069 by Nick Show

Vladimir wrote:

Baydream wrote: The 50mm equation is based on 35mm film cameras and full sensor digitals. The 32-35mm is approximate for crop (APS) sensor digitals. The equation is different for medium and large format cameras.

I did, matter of fact I usually always use it. There are 1216 results for 50mm. :thumbsup:

Wow that's alot of posts for just one lens. I would say the 50mm :owned: this forum. :rofl:

12 years 6 months ago #154070 by Nick Show

Vladimir wrote:

icepics wrote: I've read (and don't remember where) that 85/90-100mm was supposed to be comparable to the distance you see naturally. I also read something about how 50mm became standard and that it was apparently somewhat arbitrary (like companies making cameras just decided for no particular reason that 50mm would be the standard).

I have not heard this before. So 85 to 100mm is the magic number. Boy was I way off. Might need to try this. B)

People tend to use 85mm more for portraits. Although you do hear many photographers using the 50mm. I say, if we want something that is more equal to the human vision, they need to start developing cameras for the eye.

12 years 6 months ago #156967 by Henry Peach

Vladimir wrote: I've come to a conclusion. I don't think 50mm is equal to human vision, it seems to tight if you ask me. I think 35mm would be closer to what the human eye see's?

:agree:

It seems to me that cameras and lenses aren't very similar to the way my eyes and mind work. Studying how they are different has helped my photography quite a bit, because there is often a difference between the scene in my mind and the scene as it will be captured by the camera and rendered in 2D.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm
12 years 6 months ago #157006 by Justin Black
The idea is that a 50mm lens on the 35mm film format (or "full-frame" DSLR) renders a magnification and angle of view that approximates the field that we can comfortably observe in some detail at a glance. It obviously isn't meant to represent the breadth of our entire visual field, nor does it represent the very narrow central area in which we see real sharp focus at any given moment. You could think of it as a the "snapshot" field of view of human vision. It is also close to the 43mm theoretical ideal "normal" focal length for that format, so it neither compresses the perspective like a telephoto, nor distorts perspective like a wide angle.

Many photographers find their own "normal," whether that be Gary Winogrand's 28mm wide-angle, Cartier-Bresson's 50mm, Salgado's 60mm, or a wildlife photographer's big tele.

Personally, I find that when I review the metadata of images I've made with my 24-70 zoom on Nikon FX format cameras, it seems the "normal" focal length I'm most comfortable with is 44mm. For whatever reason, I make far more images at 44mm than at any other focal length in the 40mm to 60mm range.

I also find it to be a very useful practice to pop a 50mm (or any other single prime lens, for that matter) on the camera and just spend some time using that single focal length. It's a good way to getting a better handle on finding the optimal camera position for the image in question, which is much more important than using a particular lens.

Justin Black
Visionary Wild – workshops and travel for the passionate photographer
visionarywild.com

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
12 years 6 months ago #157111 by icepics
Interesting thoughts on it. Over the weekend I had out my Voigtlander with the 90mm lens and I felt like what I was seeing thru the viewfinder was pretty comparable as far as distance to what I saw w/out looking thru the camera. However this camera has a 1:1 viewfinder so that could be what's giving me that effect. And w/this viewfinder I can look thru it with either eye/both eyes open so that may make a difference too. Sounds like the lens length is different if you're using it with a film camera or different types of digital.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024