When people ask for you to take their picture, how do you respond?

12 years 6 months ago #154016 by Martha
Let me first say your at a touristy high traffic area. I'll give an example. This weekend we were in New Orleans and doing the whole tourist thing too with my camera out. If I had a nickle for every time I heard "what a big camera" "I bet that takes really good photos" I could buy a new lens :rofl: .

Any way this always happens to me. One person asks for me to take their picture, then people just line up. I had 4 different couples one after another ask this weekend. So I have my camera around my neck and I have a handful of other tourist point and shoot cameras. :blink:

Do I just say no or be polite and say yes? I feel sometimes I have a neon sign above me that says I want to take your photo, please ask. :rofl:

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #154042 by KCook
I'm happy to do this. But then I rarely visit the popular tourist magnets.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 6 months ago #154058 by crystal
This just happen to me about 2hrs ago. I was out taking photos at my favorite local state park and some guy ask me to take his picture. I said sure. I have no problem taking anyone's portrait in front of a 94ft waterfall. lol I also found out, this guy was from NC, and is traveling his way up to New England.
12 years 6 months ago #154062 by Nick Show
I say yes. It may lead to a long line a tourists asking you to take their picture, but it could also lead to a friendship.

12 years 6 months ago #154194 by photobod
YES YES YES

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #154202 by rmeyer7
:agree:
As Nick said, it could lead to a friendship. And also...well let's just say you should always have some business cards handy for those occasions ;)

12 years 6 months ago #154230 by chasrich
Sure - say cheese!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 6 months ago #154251 by Eimijo
Haha!! This is something you'll never get away from. You just gotta embrace it as part of the blessing of being an awesome photographer!

I get it mostly when I'm in a touristy spot as well. My most recent one was at the Mt St Helen's Visitor Center. I was hauling my equipment back to my van after shooting a senior and a lady with a thick eastern US accent asked me if I was willing. It was a beautiful day and the mountain was very visible.

Then a couple of them started fighting about how I was obviously busy and to leave me alone. The original gal that asked me to take the photo said "Look at her, she obviously knows what she's doing, I'd rather have her do it than some Joe Schmo with no experience at all."

As I'm holding back my giggles, I took 2 cameras and shot 3 photos for them. Quick and easy-- it took like 10 seconds, tops.

Yes, I could have said no, but I find it far easier, and in this last case for me-- more fun, to make someone's life a little easier. See it as a compliment to you! They will remember that the people in your area were nice to them when they were visiting-- and maybe they'll come again!

Also, there's also the possiblity that you will have people watching you, unbeknownst to you, that know you or know of you and want to see your reaction. If it's not favorable, they will remember not to hire or recommend you in the future (if you do it for business).
12 years 6 months ago #154264 by rmeyer7
When I was shooting some landscapes and seascapes at Ventura Beach recently, a couple happened to be there, and the guy proposed to his girlfriend just a few feet away from me. So I offered to do a couple of portraits for them and send them to him if he was interested.

Of course they were ecstatic to have a photographer just happen to be there! So I mailed him a CD with 3 or 4 photos and a price list for wedding packages :)

Bottom line, taking pictures of strangers -- whether you ask them or they ask you -- can be an opportunity to meet new people, AND to find potential clients.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Eimijo
12 years 6 months ago #154280 by Baydream
To me, it's the same as someone asking the time. It is a small touch of kindness that will make it's way back to you many times over.
I never hesitate.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156206 by Martha
OK. All good advise. I'll keep doing what I have been doing and snapping away. :banana:

If nothing else good karma

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156261 by Jon Erdmann

Martha wrote: OK. All good advise. I'll keep doing what I have been doing and snapping away. :banana:

If nothing else good karma

:thumbsup: :agree: :judge:

Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime
12 years 6 months ago #156285 by Shadowfixer1
I gladly honor their request. A lot of times I will ask if they want me to if I think that is what they are wanting. I did this on my last trip to San Diego. A couple had their point and shoot propped up on a bucket and were trying to get pics of them in their Jeep with the self timer. I asked if they would like me to take the picture and they were very appreciative. I almost always get a lot closer than they would have and people usually love the shots. In general, most people get to far away.
12 years 6 months ago #156445 by Vahrenkamp
Living in Hawaii, and going for walks anywhere near a tourist area nearly guarantee's you will be asked at least once per day. Assuming you are holding your camera. I have no problems with it, but then again I enjoy talking to people.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156502 by Henry Peach
I usually don't mind taking someone's photo, although if busy or in a hurry I'll politely decline. What I hate is when they want me to use their camera. Hand me a modern compact camera and I'm lost. I know what I want to do, but I have no idea how to use the buttons and menus to get there.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024