Collecting sales tax on a photo that was sold online?

12 years 7 months ago #156858 by Garbo
If you sell a photo online are you suppose to collect sales tax on the cost of the photo? Or does that only apply to tangible items? I was only told you only needed to if the person lived in the same state as you, but I couldn't find out if the tax needs to be collected if the item sold is an image?

Any tax guru's here?

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #156865 by Frisco
Certainly no tax pro, but to my understanding was it would need to be a tangible product part of your business. Like if you sold a canvas print of that photo on regular basis, then you would have to collect tax if in the same state.

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #156867 by robbie
I ain`t no guru but if you personally sells the photo instate then you will have to collect sales tax but you will have to apply to your State dept of revenue for the rightbto collect sales tax.To ship out of state the payment of the sales tax lies with the buyer.If an online site sells the photo then that site will collect and pay the sales tax for the state where that site is located.If the percentage of the buyer`s state is more than the seller`s state rate then the buyer should pay the difference.
Florida where I lives,don`t charge sales tax on Files[digital images] when I last checked. Other state maybe different.

12 years 7 months ago #156871 by Garbo
Hey thanks guys. I'm thinking I better check with my CPA. I really don't want to get into any trouble. I thought if non product I wouldn't need to. Better be safe and just call Mr. CPA and hope he doesn't act like my attorney can bill me for the hour :pinch:

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #156917 by robbie

Garbo wrote: Hey thanks guys. I'm thinking I better check with my CPA. I really don't want to get into any trouble. I thought if non product I wouldn't need to. Better be safe and just call Mr. CPA and hope he doesn't act like my attorney can bill me for the hour :pinch:

Please let us know what he says.
Thanks!

12 years 7 months ago #156990 by geoffellis
I hate to say it but taxes are incredibly complicated. No one here will be able to give you a definitive answer because there are too many variables based on your location

For example in Canada, you have PST and GST or HST (depending on province). now its been about 4 years since i looked it up, but each one has different definitions of a sale. Some also allow a certain $amount per year that you can earn prior to being required to collect the different taxes (its a decent amount, around 30k/y when i last checked).

You will need to consider your local, state and federal income and sales taxes. are you considered a business? self-employed? is there a minimum sales amount you need to meet before being considered self-employed or operating as a business? If you are providing the service/item to someone in a different state/country may need to be treated differently than say locally at a craft fair

anyways... i dont know much specific to US tax law... although i did look into it at one point as I was operating a home business in Canada, that had its infrastructure (web servers) in the US. This was an intangable service lol... so yes i was quite confused as well at one point. took a lot of research to sort it all out lol
12 years 7 months ago #157104 by Monster
What did you CPA say? I was under the same impression that you were, so this answer I'm very interested in learning about myself.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158631 by Garbo
Thanks again everyone. I have a CPA who is suppose be getting back with me no later than Wednesday on the 100% answer on this. I'll keep you all informed.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159964 by Prago
What was the final word on this?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024