When are you using a prime lens vs zoom?

12 years 6 months ago #157235 by Janos
I would like to hear from other photographers on when are determining the need for a prime lens vs a standard zoom lens? I have a 50mm for example that doesn't get used because I nearly always have my 18-200mm on it. When do you use a 50mm for example? It's focal length is covered by the 18-200mm?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157246 by Joves
I use my primes when I have a plan on shooting a specific target. The zooms I use when Im hiking or roaming around.

12 years 6 months ago #157324 by Vahrenkamp
The primes are slightly going to be sharper correct?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157380 by crystal
Well I have a 105 macro. I use that all the time, when I shoot macro/close up. When I have that lens, I have no problem moving around. I also have the 50mm, which I barely use, because normally, what I plan on shooting requires me to get closer to my subject, onto which I can not physically get closer too.
12 years 6 months ago #157391 by photobod
I use zooms all the time but once i get a macro lens it will be a 105mm prime, as to the difference in sharpness its quite minimal actually.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #157421 by 35 IOU
I have only two lenses 18-55 and 50. I actually use my 50mm most of the time. It's just a better quality lens and so light weight.

12 years 6 months ago #157776 by Henry Peach

Vahrenkamp wrote: The primes are slightly going to be sharper correct?

In my own personal testing I've found that modern zooms, at least the f/2.8 variety, are often just as sharp as primes. Thirty years ago zooms lenses weren't as sharp as primes, but computer aided design has really changed things.

I use primes when I want to carry a smaller lens or I want to use apertures larger than f/2.8.
12 years 6 months ago #157839 by MYoung

Henry Peach wrote:

Vahrenkamp wrote: The primes are slightly going to be sharper correct?

In my own personal testing I've found that modern zooms, at least the f/2.8 variety, are often just as sharp as primes. Thirty years ago zooms lenses weren't as sharp as primes, but computer aided design has really changed things.

I use primes when I want to carry a smaller lens or I want to use apertures larger than f/2.8.

I was wondering that! You see I just got my first camera a few weeks ago and have been shopping for lenses. I did notice that with many of the prime lenses, they went down to f/1.8 and f/1.4. I didn't notice this with any of the zoom lenses. Is that because of the available space in the lens housing?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157914 by TheNissanMan
I think it is more to do with the expense and loss of quality of trying to build a zoom which such a low aperture (look at the price of the sigma f2.8 for example). The advantage of primes is that they are built for one purpose...

12 years 6 months ago #158143 by Village Clown

TheNissanMan wrote: I think it is more to do with the expense and loss of quality of trying to build a zoom which such a low aperture (look at the price of the sigma f2.8 for example). The advantage of primes is that they are built for one purpose...

So true, imagine the cost of a f/1.2 70-200mm? Not only would it be a killer lens, it would cost a small fortune.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #158240 by Henry Peach
And remember that f/#=focal length/exit pupil. So a f/1.2 200mm lens would need a max aperture size of over 165mm. By the time you add the lens around the aperture you end up with a lens that has a larger diameter than it is long. Make it a zoom lens, and it's going to be like having a large pail made of metal and glass on your camera. :)
12 years 6 months ago #158242 by robbie

Henry Peach wrote: And remember that f/#=focal length/exit pupil. So a f/1.2 200mm lens would need a max aperture size of over 165mm. By the time you add the lens around the aperture you end up with a lens that has a larger diameter than it is long. Make it a zoom lens, and it's going to be like having a large pail made of metal and glass on your camera. :)

Man you sure know your stuff,always enjoy your replies.

12 years 6 months ago #158247 by Henry Peach

robbie wrote: Man you sure know your stuff,always enjoy your replies.

Thanks. I've been obsessed for a while. :) Beyond school and studying on my own I worked at a full service photo lab/camera store for a few years. I spent 40 hours a week talking to photographers about photography. I picked up a lot there. It was what we did before online photo forums. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: robbie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024