Why is fast lens important?

12 years 6 months ago #159144 by Baydream

Justin Black wrote: A fast lens isn't important. The pictures that you wish to make are important. If a fast lens is the tool that will help you make the pictures that you want, then by all means use one. If not... fast glass may not be necessary.

Photographers who only make traditional landscape pictures may never need fast glass. I used a 4x5 view camera for close to 20 years and only on a rare occasion made an exposure wide open and I was using lenses with maximum apertures of f/5.6, f/9.0, and f/11! Most exposures with the 4x5 were made at f/16, f/22, or f/32.

One of my most important mentors, Galen Rowell, routinely used those "amateur" zooms like the Nikkor 24-50mm f/3.3--4.5, and even the cheap little 28-80 f/4.5-5.6 kit lens. He made some great pictures that enlarge well to 32"x48" prints with those lenses, because after testing them rigorously he discovered that they were very good indeed when used between f/8 and f/22. The reason he sought them out in the first place was because they were very compact and light in weight, and he took them rock climbing, trail running, and mountaineering. Of course, he also owned fast glass like an 80-200 f/2.8, a 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 300mm f/2.8, but he VERY RARELY took any of those on self-propelled trips into the mountains.:goodpost: AFter reading so many Rowell stories, I can see why he would not always use expensive glass. A true master.

It's just a matter of selecting the right tool for your photography.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159247 by MYoung
For being new to photography this thread was a good read.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159321 by denhim1

Scotty wrote:

520snic wrote:

Scotty wrote: I shoot at f/2.8 all the time.

Why? on all your lenses? I understand having more light, but don't you ever want more of a DOF?

Of course, don't you ever want thinner depth of field? :)

I don't think the question was about the OP not wanting a thinner DOF. The question was more as to why photographers seem to always want a faster lens.
Do you and other photographer here, who shoot at 2.8, ever shoot a greater depth of field? F4? F5.6?. f8? etc...If not, why not?
f2.8 is very narrow, not much get be in focus.....unless your subject is completely in a straight line to be in focus for a f2.8.

12 years 6 months ago #159332 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot at 2.8 all the time shooting hockey-indoor sports demand the fastest lens possible

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #159336 by denhim1

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I shoot at 2.8 all the time shooting hockey-indoor sports demand the fastest lens possible

Awesome shots!
If those are shot at 2.8, why does it seem the net behind the player is a tad in focus? Here I always thought the subject is in focus, but anything behind it is more like a blur.

12 years 6 months ago #159344 by Rob pix4u2
Actually 1/3 of the foreground is in focus and 2/3 of the background is in focus which is why the net is in focus

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 6 months ago #159346 by denhim1

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Actually 1/3 of the foreground is in focus and 2/3 of the background is in focus which is why the net is in focus

ah, I see. :thumbsup:

12 years 6 months ago #159443 by Joves
Actually more f-stops gives you more options in choosing the shot you want. Having the f/3.5- 5.5 is very limiting with lower light, and depth of field. I always like more options.

12 years 6 months ago #159463 by Screamin Scott

denhim1 wrote:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I shoot at 2.8 all the time shooting hockey-indoor sports demand the fastest lens possible

Awesome shots!
If those are shot at 2.8, why does it seem the net behind the player is a tad in focus? Here I always thought the subject is in focus, but anything behind it is more like a blur.

How much DOF you have is determined not only by the F stop, but also by the lens's focal length & the distance to the subject...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #159603 by Henry Peach

denhim1 wrote: ... why photographers seem to always want a faster lens.

It's the upgrade. Almost everyone falls into one of two groups: those who need the upgrade, and those who want the upgrade. :) The gear has obsessed photographers since the very beginning. I've read accounts from the 1800s discussing gear, and if you just inserted the brands "Canon" and "Nikon" it would be like many posts you see today. Photography is a very technologically oriented activity. It attracts people who like fiddling and comparing the gear.

denhim1 wrote: Do you and other photographer here, who shoot at 2.8, ever shoot a greater depth of field? F4? F5.6?. f8? etc...If not, why not? f2.8 is very narrow, not much get be in focus.....unless your subject is completely in a straight line to be in focus for a f2.8.

My DOF is significantly influenced by three factors: focusing distance, focal length, and aperture. At macro photography distances f/11 can be razor thin. At the other extreme even f/1.4 has a hyperfocal distance where DOF becomes infinite behind the subject. I use all the f/stops at one time or another to control both DOF and exposure. A f/5.6 lens is fine if I'm working at f/5.6 or smaller aperture. It only becomes a problem when I need a large aperture. :) Like a lot of tools the one with more options is larger and more expensive, but if you don't need those options it might be smarter to go with the smaller, cheaper tool.

Not too long ago most 35mm SLRs came standard with a f/1.8 50mm lens. It's only since zooms got better and became so popular that f/2.8 is considered all that fast or narrow. :) There is plenty of shooting to be done above and below f/2.8.
12 years 6 months ago #159833 by Rob pix4u2
Like Henry said it all depends on your subject, my landscapes require a greater DOF and so I will use F16 and hyperfocal distance the quality of the lenses is important.

Rob Huelsman Sr.

12 years 6 months ago #159840 by pottsy62

Justin Black wrote: A fast lens isn't important. The pictures that you wish to make are important. If a fast lens is the tool that will help you make the pictures that you want, then by all means use one. If not... fast glass may not be necessary.

It's just a matter of selecting the right tool for your photography.

:agree: :agree: :agree: I am in full agreement with this. The photos that you wish to take are the over-riding factor and should dictate which lens/es you use. Yes, a lot of photographers go and buy the biggest/fastest/best/newest lenses on the market... If they are cashed up, then why not? Personally, I am on a pension and make do with what I have. A little bit of research (I LOVE :beerbang: Google) can always lead to a Forum where others are in my position. There are many ways of getting around the seemingly insurmountable. Playing with DOF & ISO speeds can be interesting to say the least, and I've certainly come up with shots that are at least on a par with the pro's at times.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Hey, YOU... Yes - YOU...come and see my site...
:rofl: :cheers: :thumbsup: www.snowleopardanimation.com.au :thumbsup: :cheers: :rofl:

12 years 6 months ago #159842 by mirella
Thankyou! Although i am sort of starting out. a great photo can be shot with a cheap lens. Some photos with the best equipment can be lifeless. i super boggled down with what lens i want. I don't have a budget problem but i wish for the thing to be small and light because I am tiny. so i think im stuck with getting maybe two prime lens wide angle and later tele photo i can't decide which!

12 years 6 months ago #159862 by Scotty

denhim1 wrote:

Scotty wrote:

520snic wrote:

Scotty wrote: I shoot at f/2.8 all the time.

Why? on all your lenses? I understand having more light, but don't you ever want more of a DOF?

Of course, don't you ever want thinner depth of field? :)

I don't think the question was about the OP not wanting a thinner DOF. The question was more as to why photographers seem to always want a faster lens.
Do you and other photographer here, who shoot at 2.8, ever shoot a greater depth of field? F4? F5.6?. f8? etc...If not, why not?
f2.8 is very narrow, not much get be in focus.....unless your subject is completely in a straight line to be in focus for a f2.8.

One of those reasons is thinner depth of field.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #159942 by Pettigrew

Henry Peach wrote:

denhim1 wrote: ... why photographers seem to always want a faster lens.

It's the upgrade. Almost everyone falls into one of two groups: those who need the upgrade, and those who want the upgrade. :) The gear has obsessed photographers since the very beginning. I've read accounts from the 1800s discussing gear, and if you just inserted the brands "Canon" and "Nikon" it would be like many posts you see today. Photography is a very technologically oriented activity. It attracts people who like fiddling and comparing the gear.

denhim1 wrote: Do you and other photographer here, who shoot at 2.8, ever shoot a greater depth of field? F4? F5.6?. f8? etc...If not, why not? f2.8 is very narrow, not much get be in focus.....unless your subject is completely in a straight line to be in focus for a f2.8.

My DOF is significantly influenced by three factors: focusing distance, focal length, and aperture. At macro photography distances f/11 can be razor thin. At the other extreme even f/1.4 has a hyperfocal distance where DOF becomes infinite behind the subject. I use all the f/stops at one time or another to control both DOF and exposure. A f/5.6 lens is fine if I'm working at f/5.6 or smaller aperture. It only becomes a problem when I need a large aperture. :) Like a lot of tools the one with more options is larger and more expensive, but if you don't need those options it might be smarter to go with the smaller, cheaper tool.

Not too long ago most 35mm SLRs came standard with a f/1.8 50mm lens. It's only since zooms got better and became so popular that f/2.8 is considered all that fast or narrow. :) There is plenty of shooting to be done above and below f/2.8.

Good post

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024