% of good vs bad photos?

12 years 6 months ago #160007 by Fology
When you are photographing people, how often do you get shots that just… well….. are not flattering and simply do not compliment your subject at all?

I’m talking about getting the picture right as they are blinking, or somehow you manage to capture them looking like they have one lazy eye. I guess I am trying to say that my timing is flat out awful! Anyone else have this problem? It’s not every time in every photo but it is enough to drive me insane! I am probably getting about 40-50% of them looking all jacked up.

12 years 6 months ago #160009 by effron
1% good, 99% crap....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160010 by Strelle685
I work on the 10% rule - if 10% of the total shots from an event are keepers, I'm happy. :cheer:

12 years 6 months ago #160011 by Fology

effron wrote: 1% good, 99% crap....

Really?

12 years 6 months ago #160012 by Fology

Strelle685 wrote: I work on the 10% rule - if 10% of the total shots from an event are keepers, I'm happy. :cheer:

I guess I just assumed that other people were able to pull way better than what I am happy with. This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!

12 years 6 months ago #160013 by BOLT

Fology wrote:

effron wrote: 1% good, 99% crap....

Really?

I don't know about effron's %, but my good is probably 2-3%...really.

12 years 6 months ago #160014 by Rob pix4u2
If I get 30% keepers I am happy with the shoot-That is 30 of every 100 of the thousand or so I shoot each game that are publishable at the beginning of the season. The number of keepers goes up the deeper into the season that I get

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 6 months ago #160019 by butterflygirl921
i could take 100-200 photos and only like 10...it happens....we are our worst critics

12 years 6 months ago #160021 by Fology

Rob pix4u2 wrote: If I get 30% keepers I am happy with the shoot-That is 30 of every 100 of the thousand or so I shoot each game that are publishable at the beginning of the season. The number of keepers goes up the deeper into the season that I get

Wow. I can't imagine what it would be like to shoot sports all the time. Have you ever been on the ice and shooting? Or do you shoot from the stands only?

12 years 6 months ago #160023 by Rob pix4u2
I've been in the penalty box shooting a game and on the ice for intermission contests, I prefer to be in a "protected" area with pucks whizzing by at 90-100mph. I really enjoy shooting sports - football,baseball, you name it. I'm just usuallyrusty at the beginning of hockey season because it is a fast moving sport.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #160026 by Strelle685

butterflygirl921 wrote: i could take 100-200 photos and only like 10...it happens....we are our worst critics

That is true, we are. :agree:

12 years 6 months ago #160028 by Fology

Rob pix4u2 wrote: I've been in the penalty box shooting a game and on the ice for intermission contests, I prefer to be in a "protected" area with pucks whizzing by at 90-100mph. I really enjoy shooting sports - football,baseball, you name it. I'm just usuallyrusty at the beginning of hockey season because it is a fast moving sport.

Wow, amazing shot. Yea I would probably prefer to be in the safe area also. Heck, I'm afraid of being on a skating rink, just skating. lol

12 years 6 months ago #160049 by Maria21
I have been doing portraits for years & have had better results because of lil trick that I was taught by a seasoned photographer. If it is a posed session have the client close their eyes for a brief min & then as soon as they open their eyes & smile snap the shot. This method also helps with people who tend to scrunch their eyes when they smile. Have them practice this a couple of times so that they are opening their eyes & smiling at the same time. It also gives you an better idea of timing so you can snap the picture at just the right moment.

If they truly do have a lazy eye, a tilt of the head can make both eyes look wide open. HTH

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 6 months ago #160135 by photobod
Its impossible to time it so that someones eyes are open, our own eyes simply dont work that fast, so dont blame yourself, its why you should when photographing people take several shots of each pose, that way you have a much better chance of getting a photo with eyes open in each pose, I even do it with group shots and if you dont change the focal length it makes it much easier if you need to swap a few heads so that everyone in the group is looking at camera with eyes open, who says photography doesnt lie :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #160335 by Frisco
I'm going to say 1-5% will be good, I mean keeper good. You never know, some shoots I'll come back and all the shots are crap or something is looking good. You know how it is.

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024