Require higher deposits for Thanksgiving and Chistmas holiday bookings?

12 years 6 months ago #160319 by Frisco
During the holidays it seems like I get more jobs. But also I get more cancellations. Now my contract requires a 5% deposit and clearly says no refunds. I'm wondering if my deposit is to low and that is why my cancellations may be higher than others?? Do you increase your required deposits during the holiday season? When someone cancels last minute or they don't bother to call and just skips out. This is lost opportunity and revenue as you can image.

I would be curious to know how much do you require for deposit? Does this change during the holidays?

I appreciate your help ahead of time.

Frisco

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160326 by Henry Peach
Yes, use your retainer fee to encourage serious clients only.
12 years 6 months ago #160365 by 4UThomas
I require 50% deposit. It doesn't matter how big or how small the event is or what time of the year it is.

12 years 6 months ago #160411 by Arkangel7x3

Frisco wrote: During the holidays it seems like I get more jobs. But also I get more cancellations. Now my contract requires a 5% deposit and clearly says no refunds. I'm wondering if my deposit is to low and that is why my cancellations may be higher than others?? Do you increase your required deposits during the holiday season? When someone cancels last minute or they don't bother to call and just skips out. This is lost opportunity and revenue as you can image.

I would be curious to know how much do you require for deposit? Does this change during the holidays?

I appreciate your help ahead of time.

Frisco

I think that's very fair are time is are money we can't afford to waist it I think you have the right approach. O yah CASH AND CREDIT ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CHECKS they can be bad for business believe you me

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"
12 years 6 months ago #160951 by Happy Snapper
I would charge 25% to 50%

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #160982 by Maria21
I require a sitting fee & photographer fee that is non refundable. The photographers fee is the fee i charge for my 1st hour of shooting. The sitting fee is an additional charge to the photographers fee for each subject after the main subject (2 or more people). Usually this is enough that I don't have that many cancellations. (I do it this way so that if I raise my rates the deposit is also raised & it does no change throughout the year.) I do however, offer an incentive to have them keep their appt. I offer a free 8x10 sheet of the pose of their choosing from the session.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 6 months ago #161249 by Stealthy Ninja
What's thanksgiving?
12 years 6 months ago #161339 by Garbo

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What's thanksgiving?

Doesnt China have their own version of This holiday?

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #161394 by Ford Plus
I would never charge a higher deposit for the holidays. On the client end, it could make you look bad. Just figure out what % you want for a deposit and keep it at that. I do believe your 5% is way too low. I know some photographers require 25% or 50%.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024