Against law to take photos inside a mall?

12 years 6 months ago #164475 by Joves
I will also add that this includes the Mall's parking lot. Now here is the rub if there is a public sidewalk around that parking lot you can shoot from there into the lot.

12 years 6 months ago #164605 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote: It was a high volume restaurant in a not so great part of town. commonly dealt with drunks,homeless and people with mental issues.

Im not saying i got into physical confrontations every night though lol... but even if you average 1 incident every 1-2 months... it still works out to as little as 50 during my tenure , and as much as 100. And again these range from small incidents where a guy shoved me because i refused to serve him... to fights that ended up with assaults and weapons charges lol... and everything in between. And im not exactly looking for a fight either... i just wont put up with anyone out of line

Like one incident... my cleaning staff came and told me that a patron was harassing them. well, im not going to kick someone out on that alone. I need a reason. So i went out and sat and watched from a distance. suddenly while one of the cleaning staff was walking by this customer, the customer jumps at him, grabs his mop, and starts chasing him with it. well, I grabbed him, put him in a headlock, dragged him to the nearest exit, and to no exaggeration i threw him out the door. he cut his hand on the stone walkway outside. he called the police and asked them to charge me with assault. the police literally phoned me up. told me this, and asked me what happened. I told them, they asked me for a description and wanted to know if i wanted to press charges. I said no. They told me they had a patrol car in the area and would keep an eye out for him. remember, he called the police, not I.

another, a woman was literally harassing customers, she came in...asking people for money, then literally picked up a guys touchscreen notebook ($$$) and started looking it over... she was not sober and i think the guy was nearly about to deck her... so i told her to leave, she was refusing, so i literally grabbed her by the arm and pulled her from the building, during which she was threatening to shoot me, etc. anyways when we got outside 3 of her male friends waiting outside decided to take a crack at me. anyways it only took 1 bloody nose for them to decide it wasnt worth it lol

ironically if it was a bar, theyd have beefy security guards. As we were a non-alcoholic serving restaurant the owner deemed it too costly to hire security for stuff that /might/ happen like i said once every 1-2 months. And personally, i consider "security" companies here to be a joke anyways. 4000$ for a scrawny guy (or girl) that is primarily trained to take notes and resolve conflict and phone the police LOL they arent even allowed to carry mace.

I have plenty of other stories... i just wanted to be clear that i wasnt exactly out looking for fights haha - but at the same time i have the confidence and experience to take care of myself. i have never been hurt in any confrontation whatsoever, at or outside of work. atleast no more than a few scrapes here and there lol i should also mention though that guns are not really an issue. difficult for the average punk losers to come by. the most dangerous weapons ive encountered are knives. usually kitchen knives LOL- on the upside... i have never had a robbery, armed or otherwise. but thankfully that aspect of my life is over for now

Now im just an unemployed traveller haha

Awesome stories. You should consider writing a book, you have a way of keeping attention (I don't usually read posts that long, but I couldn't stop reading.

DO you mind me asking where you lived before?
12 years 6 months ago #164663 by Farestad
Funny how 30 other point and shoot camera owners didn't get approached and the person with the DSLR get's the boot :rofl:

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #164672 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Awesome stories. You should consider writing a book, you have a way of keeping attention (I don't usually read posts that long, but I couldn't stop reading.

While i probably have enough material to write a book of short stories... i think an editor would scoff at my use of ellipsis and LOL as replacements for proper grammar haha. nor do i foresee much of an interest in short stories about a guy getting into fights?? heh

As for location... these particular events took place in the Vancouver Region of BC, Canada. Its ironic though... despite being a huge city I actually felt safer in Vancouver despite all that. I never once had a confrontation with someone outside of my place of employment. Before moving to Vancouver however, I lived in rural areas... and it seemed like i was constantly getting "jumped" by groups of stupid "young adults" that i didnt even know (ie it wasnt personal). i must look like an easy target. or maybe its just group mentality. my personal theory though is that the larger the group coming at you, the less likely any one individual is a serious threat. If you choose to strike hard and fast, and make it so the first 2 guys arent getting up to quickly... the others tend to be hesitant.

one final story i like to tell though... is really kind of amusing. I was vacationing in a small town on the ocean called Tofino (I believe its about the only decent place in Canada to go surfing). It was my first night there and it was after the tourist season was over. I was literally walking down main street when 4 "guys" surrounded me, and started threatening to hurt me. Anyways i of course wasnt backing down - no fear lol - however at that moment a police cruiser saw us and stopped, 2 officers got out and started asking questions obviously concerned about me. they got to me and asked if i had any problems. i said nope, im fine. Cops got in their cruiser and left. Well, this definitely changed the attitude of these guys. they no longer had any interest in fighting with me. even offered to buy me a beer. but i dont drink so i declined and went on my way haha
12 years 6 months ago #164679 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Awesome stories. You should consider writing a book, you have a way of keeping attention (I don't usually read posts that long, but I couldn't stop reading.

While i probably have enough material to write a book of short stories... i think an editor would scoff at my use of ellipsis and LOL as replacements for proper grammar haha. nor do i foresee much of an interest in short stories about a guy getting into fights?? heh

As for location... these particular events took place in the Vancouver Region of BC, Canada. Its ironic though... despite being a huge city I actually felt safer in Vancouver despite all that. I never once had a confrontation with someone outside of my place of employment. Before moving to Vancouver however, I lived in rural areas... and it seemed like i was constantly getting "jumped" by groups of stupid "young adults" that i didnt even know (ie it wasnt personal). i must look like an easy target. or maybe its just group mentality. my personal theory though is that the larger the group coming at you, the less likely any one individual is a serious threat. If you choose to strike hard and fast, and make it so the first 2 guys arent getting up to quickly... the others tend to be hesitant.

one final story i like to tell though... is really kind of amusing. I was vacationing in a small town on the ocean called Tofino (I believe its about the only decent place in Canada to go surfing). It was my first night there and it was after the tourist season was over. I was literally walking down main street when 4 "guys" surrounded me, and started threatening to hurt me. Anyways i of course wasnt backing down - no fear lol - however at that moment a police cruiser saw us and stopped, 2 officers got out and started asking questions obviously concerned about me. they got to me and asked if i had any problems. i said nope, im fine. Cops got in their cruiser and left. Well, this definitely changed the attitude of these guys. they no longer had any interest in fighting with me. even offered to buy me a beer. but i dont drink so i declined and went on my way haha

LOL you seem to get into a lot of fights. I never do really, I came close once but I just raised my hands and said "hey I don't want any trouble" and they backed down.

Then again I'm 190cm and weigh around 100kg.
12 years 6 months ago #164697 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

geoffellis wrote: It was a high volume restaurant in a not so great part of town. commonly dealt with drunks,homeless and people with mental issues.

Im not saying i got into physical confrontations every night though lol... but even if you average 1 incident every 1-2 months... it still works out to as little as 50 during my tenure , and as much as 100. And again these range from small incidents where a guy shoved me because i refused to serve him... to fights that ended up with assaults and weapons charges lol... and everything in between. And im not exactly looking for a fight either... i just wont put up with anyone out of line

Like one incident... my cleaning staff came and told me that a patron was harassing them. well, im not going to kick someone out on that alone. I need a reason. So i went out and sat and watched from a distance. suddenly while one of the cleaning staff was walking by this customer, the customer jumps at him, grabs his mop, and starts chasing him with it. well, I grabbed him, put him in a headlock, dragged him to the nearest exit, and to no exaggeration i threw him out the door. he cut his hand on the stone walkway outside. he called the police and asked them to charge me with assault. the police literally phoned me up. told me this, and asked me what happened. I told them, they asked me for a description and wanted to know if i wanted to press charges. I said no. They told me they had a patrol car in the area and would keep an eye out for him. remember, he called the police, not I.

another, a woman was literally harassing customers, she came in...asking people for money, then literally picked up a guys touchscreen notebook ($$$) and started looking it over... she was not sober and i think the guy was nearly about to deck her... so i told her to leave, she was refusing, so i literally grabbed her by the arm and pulled her from the building, during which she was threatening to shoot me, etc. anyways when we got outside 3 of her male friends waiting outside decided to take a crack at me. anyways it only took 1 bloody nose for them to decide it wasnt worth it lol

ironically if it was a bar, theyd have beefy security guards. As we were a non-alcoholic serving restaurant the owner deemed it too costly to hire security for stuff that /might/ happen like i said once every 1-2 months. And personally, i consider "security" companies here to be a joke anyways. 4000$ for a scrawny guy (or girl) that is primarily trained to take notes and resolve conflict and phone the police LOL they arent even allowed to carry mace.

I have plenty of other stories... i just wanted to be clear that i wasnt exactly out looking for fights haha - but at the same time i have the confidence and experience to take care of myself. i have never been hurt in any confrontation whatsoever, at or outside of work. atleast no more than a few scrapes here and there lol i should also mention though that guns are not really an issue. difficult for the average punk losers to come by. the most dangerous weapons ive encountered are knives. usually kitchen knives LOL- on the upside... i have never had a robbery, armed or otherwise. but thankfully that aspect of my life is over for now

Awesome stories. You should consider writing a book, you have a way of keeping attention (I don't usually read posts that long, but I couldn't stop reading.

You're crazy, all I saw was....wall of text crits for 100.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #164725 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

You're crazy, all I saw was....wall of text crits for 100.

LOL usually I do to, but this time it's not some boring stuff...
12 years 6 months ago #164827 by DavidM

Farestad wrote: Funny how 30 other point and shoot camera owners didn't get approached and the person with the DSLR get's the boot :rofl:

True, but you have to admit the DSLR is associated in peoples mind as a "professional camera".

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024