Dealing with tough priest in Cathedral, restricting me where I could shoot??

12 years 5 months ago #168053 by Dan Dangerfield
I just shot a wedding over the weekend where the priest was restricting me to where I could stand and walk. I've dealt with some rules, but here I was unable to step foot on the front of the church, which meant that I was unable to get one of my favorite angles of the bride and groom.

It's not like I can argue with the priest, but what can you do? I have a job to do, and I feel I gave the client a less quality product at the end.

Have you ever been told by a priest where you were allowed to stand and not stand?

12 years 5 months ago #168076 by Joves
Well during my cousins wedding they would not allow any photos during the ceremony. The official said that we would be allowed after to do set up shots, which to me is lame but it is their property so they make the rules.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #168085 by Stealthy Ninja
Ask him why and to give a strictly biblical basis of his argumentation as you hold to sola scriptura and not the traditions of the roman catholic church.

See what happens. :rofl:

I've not shot many Catholic weddings (one actually) and all I was told is we can't step on the alter or whatever they call the raised section. T'was OK though we could go all around it.
12 years 5 months ago #168169 by Jeffster
Not much you can do, depends on the church

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #168186 by Baydream
So true. I was just discussing an upcoming wedding (I'm not shooting but referred it to someone). Shooting was not restricted but no flash EXCEPT one as the bride entered and one as the couple left the altar to go back down the aisle. Made sense in that it allowed the photog to get those two special moments with the clarity of the flash but also allowed dignity for the ceremony AND allowed photos of it.

First time I had heard that process.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #168193 by Stealthy Ninja
Oh I should add: We should always respect the pastor or whomever is in charge's wishes on these matters. It's not good to argue with a man of God. :S
12 years 5 months ago #168242 by Boydster
:agree: that's why you need to plan ahead and check. Know the best spots before you get there.

Canon 7D, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Tokina 12-24
12 years 5 months ago #168380 by Henry Peach
I've done 350+ weddings, and most of them had ceremony shooting restrictions. Typical rules are no flash and stay in back. Sometimes they make me stand in one place, or only allow shooting from the organ loft. I've had a few that said no photography at all is allowed during the ceremony, and had a church lady guard me so I didn't try to sneak shots.

My contract states that I must follow the rules of the ceremony location and officiator, and that negotiation for relaxing those rules is up to the client. I may have to come back next week to the same place and work with the same people. I discuss this ahead of time, and plan accordingly with the clients. Please don't be an asshole wedding photographer, and break their rules. They probably won't stop the ceremony to chastise the photographer, but when I show up next weekend they treat me like I'm the offender. I've heard a million bad stories about wedding photographers from church staff. They are the reason for the rules and restrictions.

I try to be as polite and respectful as possible with the church/synagogue staff. I've found that sometimes restrictions relax after they get to know me, and see I'm not a jerk about the ceremony photography. I have also found that in many cases the officiator may have different rules than the house rules. Usually these are less restrictive.

Once I had a Catholic Arch-Bishop come up to me, and check out what I was wearing. He said "You dressed respectfully. You can do anything you want, just please don't blind me with the flash." He then went on to say that he makes photographers that show up in photo-vests and sneakers stand in the back. :)
12 years 5 months ago #168436 by My Boo
It really surprises me that priest/pasters the church in general have so many rules, against photography in certain places. I mean, it's a wedding, everyone knows pictures will be taken.

12 years 5 months ago #168488 by butterflygirl921
That really sucks what the priest did. I would think since the couple is having the church for that time it's up to the couple where they dont want you to be not the priest.

12 years 5 months ago #168517 by photobod
Wedding photography is no different to any other business, their are always rules and regulations in all walks of life, we as professionals must abide by them, its what distinguishes us from the amatuers, in that we know to respect others, its easy to let your couple know that their are restrictions so their will be no surprises when they see the finished album.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #168807 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: I've done 350+ weddings

You must be exhausted!

:blink:
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #168891 by Henry Peach

My Boo wrote: It really surprises me that priest/pasters the church in general have so many rules, against photography in certain places.

They probably didn't start out with any rules about photography, but after working with many troublesome and intrusive photographers they come up with them.

butterflygirl921 wrote: I would think since the couple is having the church for that time it's up to the couple where they don't want you to be not the priest.

All rented locations will have rules. If the rules don't suit the couple they shouldn't rent the location.

In any event, photography is a sin according to the 10 commandments: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." ;) We are lucky they put up with us heretics at all.

What I really hate is when they tell me I can't take photos, which I would do from the back, no flash, and being very discreet, but during the ceremony half the guests stand up and flash away. Smart phones are a plague upon wedding photography. Any ceremony shot that includes the audience is now filled with the brightly lit LCDs of smart phones held out above the guests' heads.
12 years 5 months ago #169089 by John Landolfi
:agree: Respect for others' faith and customs would seem a matter of course for a professional, and asking for limits on permitted activity the right course. Too often such efforts are not met by equal respect and acknowledgment, and blanket proscriptions are issued, regardless of the circumstances, which are then not observed by anyone except the photographer. My latest experience was in the Sistine Chapel!

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #169401 by Henry Peach
One of the local priests I work with, Father John, is awesome. He actually helps plan and choreograph the ceremony to make the photos better. I've heard him tell couples "You paid this guy (meaning me) a lot of money to get good photos. Let's help him out." Other priests at the same church are not so accommodating.

Recently a bride sent me the photo restrictions as listed on the church website. They were very strict, and allowed no photography at all during the ceremony. I told the couple to ask the priest because sometimes their personal rules are more lenient than the house rules. The priest had no problems with my photographing the ceremony, just asked for no flash, and actually let me wander all over the place.

Another time I very respectfully introduced myself to the priest before the ceremony, and inquired about his rules for ceremony photography. He angrily snapped at me "What if I say no photography at all!" I answered "Well that makes my job easy, but I think the bride will be very disappointed." He responded with "Just don't flash my eyes!", and stalked away.

You will run into all types, but I think most are realizing these days that it's in their best interests to adapt to modern society, at least over something as minor as whether photography is allowed or not, if they want to keep people involved with the church and attract more people.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024