Photographing a bullet leaving gun

12 years 5 months ago #174113 by Todd Knight
We spent nearly 2 hours today trying to photograph a bullet as it was leaving a pistol. I had camera on burst and no joke must have taken 400 photos today. I had shutter set at 1/800 second and was using my flash too. I figured sooner or later lady luck would show some love to me. No such luck.

I could use some help guys. Thank you in advance.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174148 by geoffellis
I hate to break it to you... but i doubt you are going to succeed. Of course that also depends on the bullet velocity... youd have better luck with a slow pellet gun, and if you were shooting more around 1/8000 second. and then it would still like be a matter of luck

a .22 round travels at about 320 meters per second. a 1/8000 exposure lasts around 0.125 ms. I dont particularly want to do the math or conversions... but im pretty sure it doesnt work out in your favour. id say that it works out to the bullet travelling either about 5cm or 5 meters within that exposure time. (im not much of a mathematician LOL). At best with 5cm its just going to be a blur

a pellet gun... shoots at about 150 meters per second... about half that.... so best case scenario you might get less blur... but its a much smaller projectile and not all that thrilling to look at

You also would need to calculate length of barrel into your equation...
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #174153 by effron
You need to use light as your shutter speed. In a darkened area, open shutter, fire gun and trip light source, there are devices for this....see here........
www.diyphotography.net/bullet-photography-at-home

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174154 by photobod

effron wrote: You need to use light as your shutter speed. In a darkened area, open shutter, fire gun and trip light source, there are devices for this....see here........

:agree: :agree: :agree: Well said you cant beat the speed of light :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: [/b][/color]

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #174208 by chasrich

photobod wrote:

effron wrote: You need to use light as your shutter speed. In a darkened area, open shutter, fire gun and trip light source, there are devices for this....see here........

:agree: :agree: :agree: Well said you cant beat the speed of light :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: [/b][/color]

What about warp drive????

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #174210 by Spin the world
I would love to try this. I have seen photographs of a bullet flying out of a gun, looks so awesome. If you are able to succeed at this, post the photos.

12 years 5 months ago #174290 by geoffellis
I would just like to point out that in the article he is using an air gun... which has considerably less speed (usually <150m/s) then a full powered handgun or rifle... although he says that a rifle will work... he doesnt list a max speed for a projectile...

And i believe that is because his photography isnt about getting a clear shot of the bullet, its about getting the reaction the bullet causes as it passes through an object.

furthermore, the shots that do contain a semi-clear picture of the bullet, the bullet is captured after it has passed through an object... which can severely slow down the projectiles speed.

As such, i stand by original statement that it will be next to impossible to capture a clear picture of a bullet simply leaving a gun barrel. at least with just a standard dslr.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #174355 by effron

geoffellis wrote: I would just like to point out that in the article he is using an air gun... which has considerably less speed (usually <150m/s) then a full powered handgun or rifle... although he says that a rifle will work... he doesnt list a max speed for a projectile...

And i believe that is because his photography isnt about getting a clear shot of the bullet, its about getting the reaction the bullet causes as it passes through an object.

furthermore, the shots that do contain a semi-clear picture of the bullet, the bullet is captured after it has passed through an object... which can severely slow down the projectiles speed.

As such, i stand by original statement that it will be next to impossible to capture a clear picture of a bullet simply leaving a gun barrel. at least with just a standard dslr.

True, but the only difference would be the timing of the light trip. Just a bullet hanging in mid air is boring, more interest in it doing its damage. They haven't invented a bullet yet that's faster than light......;)

more... www.lex-augusteijn.nl/Gallery/High%20speed/Bullets/index.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174360 by I shoot RAW
There are triggers you can get that will trip the shutter based on sound

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174374 by effron

I shoot RAW wrote: There are triggers you can get that will trip the shutter based on sound

Here's one, there are more. Can trigger a few different ways, laser beam, sound, sync with speedlight, etc.... www.universaltimer.com/

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174382 by geoffellis

effron wrote: True, but the only difference would be the timing of the light trip. Just a bullet hanging in mid air is boring, more interest in it doing its damage. They haven't invented a bullet yet that's faster than light......;)

more... www.lex-augusteijn.nl/Gallery/High%20speed/Bullets/index.html

So maybe im missing something... but i dont see how projectile velocity does not factor into this equation... light is very important... i get that... but i mean in the time that the shutter is open, a high velocity round traveling at say >1000 mps/ 3000fps - wont be anything but a blur at best? I dont think you could capture that by timing the light better? now thats an extreme case... but the same principle applies to slower rounds? just because the bullet is "lit" doesnt make the camera any faster or more capable of capturing such a high velocity? like i said... maybe im missing something...

but i agree about the effect of a bullet... much more interesting... but he specified simply a bullet leaving a gun...
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #174413 by Maria21
using a strobe light makes the bullet "appear" to be standing still for a few seconds allowing the camera to capture a relatively clear image...it's all about timing the light with the speed of the bullet as it clears the muzzle

and of course using continous mode

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 5 months ago #174416 by icepics
Harold Edgerton is known for this - web.mit.edu/Edgerton/ and edgerton-digital-collections.org/galleries/iconic - has a gallery on Bullets and Blasts. Muybridge predates this with stop-motion photography - www.eadweardmuybridge.co.uk .

There are at least a couple of previous threads on this topic, if you search the forums you might find them.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #174418 by Maria21
I had seen a video on You Tube on how to photograph bullets before also, I just don't remember what I typed in that it popped up.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 5 months ago #174525 by Farestad
This might be something to consider: www.universaltimer.com/

I bought one a few years ago, just be warned that it didn't come with the best directions

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024