macro lenses

12 years 4 months ago #177114 by Maria21
I know I'm going to sound like a complete newbie asking this but I'm going to ask it anyway. i bought a couple of used lenses & did not get the info on them. I understand that a macro is a 1 to 1 ratio & according to the info that I found when I looked up the stats on these lenses and 2 of them should be macros. So keeping that in mind i tired to get a few closeups like the kewl bug shots a few of you have posted & haven't got anywhere close..so are you guys using additional filters, resizing in post? any tips? Here is a sample.. I'd really like to try some snowflake pic once we get some snow this winter.

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
Attachments:
12 years 4 months ago #177135 by Henry Peach

Maria21 wrote: I understand that a macro is a 1 to 1 ratio & according to the info that I found when I looked up the stats on these lenses and 2 of them should be macros.

I agree that macro should mean a 1:1 reproduction ratio, but it's easy to find a lot of lenses that the manufacturers label "macro" that won't do 1:1. What lenses do you have?
12 years 4 months ago #177161 by effron
Like HP said, your lens details, please. Also, here are some good starting tips....
www.thephotoargus.com/tips/tips-for-macr...he-extreme-close-up/
www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-lenses.htm

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 4 months ago #177211 by Baydream
Some of us who do not have "Macro" lenses use extension tubes to get near or at 1:1.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #177224 by Stealthy Ninja
To get 1:1 you can not use autofocus. You have use manual focus to set the ratio you want (usually just set it at the closest focusing it can do) then move the lens/camera back and forward till it's in focus.

If you use AF you won't be able to get close enough.
12 years 4 months ago #177230 by Screamin Scott
Look on the front of the lenses & tell us what they say...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #177237 by Joves
Many use the extension tubes because they can use many lenses giving you more to work with. But as Ninja said the easiest to find your lenses close focusing distance set it to the least distance and move back and forth. You can do this using anything to see how close your lens will focus. This way you will know how close you can get. Also I dont know if your Canon does this but with Nikons the focus green dot will come up when in focus.

12 years 4 months ago #177244 by Baydream

Joves wrote: Many use the extension tubes because they can use many lenses giving you more to work with. But as Ninja said the easiest to find your lenses close focusing distance set it to the least distance and move back and forth. You can do this using anything to see how close your lens will focus. This way you will know how close you can get. Also I dont know if your Canon does this but with Nikons the focus green dot will come up when in focus.

The focus dot on my Canons are red but do the same.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #177246 by john_m
Make sure its a true macro. Alot of lenses offer close focusing and they will label it as macro.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago #177380 by Maria21

john_m wrote: Make sure its a true macro. Alot of lenses offer close focusing and they will label it as macro.

That's what I'm not sure of... the stats say they are but they don't behave that way. If I'm reading the numbers on the lens right wouldn't the 1:3.5-5.6 mean that they are not true macros?
The lenses are...
Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 II
Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 III

Zerfing's Photographic Imaging
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #177416 by Screamin Scott
Neither of those are true macro lenses...A zoom lens is almost never a true macro lens. There are only a couple of zooms that are & they cost ! ( plus they are older manual focus designs) The lenses you list are kit lenses supplied with base cameras.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #177439 by Henry Peach

Screamin Scott wrote: Neither of those are true macro lenses...A zoom lens is almost never a true macro lens. There are only a couple of zooms that are & they cost ! ( plus they are older manual focus designs) The lenses you list are kit lenses supplied with base cameras.

:agree:

A true macro lens for a DSLR will usually be fixed focal length and probably cost over $500 new.

Besides extension tubes you can get close-up filter sets. They are much cheaper than a macro lens so they have some limitations, but I have used them with a variety of cameras and lenses and had decent results. Like other filters they come in a variety of quality levels.
12 years 4 months ago #177442 by crystal

Stealthy Ninja wrote: To get 1:1 you can not use autofocus. You have use manual focus to set the ratio you want (usually just set it at the closest focusing it can do) then move the lens/camera back and forward till it's in focus.

If you use AF you won't be able to get close enough.

I disagree. I've been using Sigma 105mm macro lens for a few years and 95% of my macro work is autofocus at 1:1 ratio.
12 years 4 months ago #177478 by john_m

Maria21 wrote:

john_m wrote: Make sure its a true macro. Alot of lenses offer close focusing and they will label it as macro.

That's what I'm not sure of... the stats say they are but they don't behave that way. If I'm reading the numbers on the lens right wouldn't the 1:3.5-5.6 mean that they are not true macros?
The lenses are...
Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 II
Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5 - 5.6 III

Yeah, like Scott said those are kit lenses. The 1:3.5-5.6 just means that at 18mm the max A is 3.5 and at 55mm the max A is 5.6.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #177481 by Screamin Scott

Henry Peach wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: Neither of those are true macro lenses...A zoom lens is almost never a true macro lens. There are only a couple of zooms that are & they cost ! ( plus they are older manual focus designs) The lenses you list are kit lenses supplied with base cameras.

:agree:

A true macro lens for a DSLR will usually be fixed focal length and probably cost over $500 new.

Besides extension tubes you can get close-up filter sets. They are much cheaper than a macro lens so they have some limitations, but I have used them with a variety of cameras and lenses and had decent results. Like other filters they come in a variety of quality levels.

Matt,
Don't forget about this Micro Nikkor zoom...plus Leitz & also Vivitar had a macro zoom...Here's a link to the Nikkor
www.bythom.com/70180Macrolens.htm
The Vivitar was the Vivitar Series One 90-180/4.5 Flat Field Macro

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024