At what point do you charge for retouching photos?

12 years 4 months ago #181370 by Photo Junky
So we all get them, those clients that want their photos retouched up 100 times more than others. Removing this, adding that. I don't mind touch up here and there and not charge for it. But at what point do you start charging additional for retouching?

I have one bride recently who was an absolute pain in the you know what. She hated how her smile was in most photos, asked for me to change her eye color in others, wanted me to "lean" up certain family members of hers in all the photos, it was a nightmare of a job.

How are you adding in retouching work?

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181417 by rmeyer7
I describe the "basic editing and retouching" that is included in my contract, and also state that additional editing and retouching will be quoted based upon the client's specific requests.

The basics that are included would be color/contrast enhancement, very minor skin smoothing, fixing stray hairs, removing distracting objects that I should have avoided in-camera. Removing a facefull of acne, making them look like a supermodel, or shaving pounds of of people would all be additional charges! Same for changing eye color and someone's real, natural smile. (I'll do that no-charge if it's just a few photos, but not if it's any significant number.)

12 years 4 months ago #181460 by Farestad
I'll make a few changes, but once they start going overboard, I'll just charge them my normal hourly rate.

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181522 by Joves

rmeyer7 wrote: I describe the "basic editing and retouching" that is included in my contract, and also state that additional editing and retouching will be quoted based upon the client's specific requests.

The basics that are included would be color/contrast enhancement, very minor skin smoothing, fixing stray hairs, removing distracting objects that I should have avoided in-camera. Removing a facefull of acne, making them look like a supermodel, or shaving pounds of of people would all be additional charges! Same for changing eye color and someone's real, natural smile. (I'll do that no-charge if it's just a few photos, but not if it's any significant number.)

Exactly!
Standard post processing is a no charge. But modifications I would tell the Bridezilla that would be extra.

12 years 4 months ago #181596 by Happy Snapper

Joves wrote:

rmeyer7 wrote: I describe the "basic editing and retouching" that is included in my contract, and also state that additional editing and retouching will be quoted based upon the client's specific requests.

Exactly!
Standard post processing is a no charge. But modifications I would tell the Bridezilla that would be extra.

:agree: every time I hear "bridezilla" it's still hilarious to me :rofl: :rofl:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181851 by Addicted2Photos
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not the greatest at photo editing. Are there any good services that will do the editing work for you for an affordable fee?

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #181966 by Stealthy Ninja

Joves wrote:

Exactly!

I agree with you guys.

Basic editing for free = fix colour balance and balance out the exposure... perhaps some cropping. That takes long enough as it is.
12 years 4 months ago #182877 by Addicted2Photos

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Joves wrote:

Exactly!

I agree with you guys.

Basic editing for free = fix colour balance and balance out the exposure... perhaps some cropping. That takes long enough as it is.

:agree: that's what I'm saying. There should be a service out there that will do all the editing for us :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #182880 by Billwill78
For the typical retouching, cloning out acne, scars etc.. no fee. However if a client ask me to do what your client ask, I would charge $25 per photo or she can live with the way her smile came out, and her family leaning etc... Stuff happens, and either the client lives with that kind of photo or she pays for the perfectness that she wants.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024