Skateboarding Photography?

12 years 4 months ago #182528 by nikkie nature
Some of my friends are into skateboarding. So I thought it would be fun to shoot them on a skateboard ramp, doing tricks and all. I was wondering, What's that lens they use to create the bowl type effect on pictures and videos? It's that one where the subject seems to get closer towards you as it moves by you. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I would like to try and create that effect.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182531 by Henry Peach
A very wide angle lens. Extremely wide angle lenses are called fisheye. For a 35mm format camera 17mm focal length or shorter shows that sort of distortion (not fisheye, but starting to head that direction). For APS-C format look for 11mm or shorter. For a compact digital camera you would probably want a fisheye adapter that would fit on the existing lens.
12 years 4 months ago #182533 by Perry041
An ultra wide angle lens (often called a "fisheye lens") will give you the "bowl" effect.

12 years 4 months ago #182536 by nikkie nature
Thanks, does anyone know how much a fish eye lens would cost to use on a Nikon D60?

12 years 4 months ago #182538 by Perry041

nikkie nature wrote: Thanks, does anyone know how much a fish eye lens would cost to use on a Nikon D60?

B&H sells fisheye lenses

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #182541 by Henry Peach
Like other sorts of lenses you will find a wide variety of quality and price options. The good ones are expensive. A cheaper option would be a fisheye adapter. This is a sort of lens that screws on the end of the lens you already have. Obviously an $80 fisheye adapter is not going to be as nice as an $800 fisheye lens, but a lot of folks use them and get decent results.

www.flickr.com/groups/98983382@N00/
12 years 4 months ago #182543 by nikkie nature

Perry041 wrote:

nikkie nature wrote: Thanks, does anyone know how much a fish eye lens would cost to use on a Nikon D60?

B&H sells fisheye lenses

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

12 years 4 months ago #182544 by nikkie nature

Henry Peach wrote: Like other sorts of lenses you will find a wide variety of quality and price options. The good ones are expensive. A cheaper option would be a fisheye adapter. This is a sort of lens that screws on the end of the lens you already have. Obviously an $80 fisheye adapter is not going to be as nice as an $800 fisheye lens, but a lot of folks use them and get decent results.

www.flickr.com/groups/98983382@N00/

A fisheye adapter, thanks. Never heard of one. Maybe I'll buy that first and see how my pictures turn out before spending money on an actual fish eye lens.

12 years 4 months ago #182548 by Henry Peach
Try to find some reviews. The adapters come in a wide range of prices and quality levels too.
12 years 4 months ago #182549 by nikkie nature

Henry Peach wrote: Try to find some reviews. The adapters come in a wide range of prices and quality levels too.

Alright thanks. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024