Tripod Advice?

13 years 3 months ago #18383 by writers_wife
I take quite a few photos of birds in flight, moving animals, etc. and it can often take some time waiting for just the right shot. I want to purchase a tripod to make my life a little easier. I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel XS and I came across a checklist to help me decide what to get. Problem is, I don't understand one of the questions. What do they mean by TRIPOD HEAD? The entire question is "What tripod head will be mounted on it?"

Can someone define tripod head for me? Also, if anyone has any tripod recommendations, I'm all ears.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #18395 by bhowdy
In the context that you ask the question a "tripod" is only the legs of the entire package. The tripod head is the part / piece that mounts on the tripod legs and then the camera body (or lens) mounts on the tripod head. There are several different types of "tripod heads" and many many different manufacturers.

You mentioned the camera body that you use .... what lens do you use for your birds in flight, etc photos .... This will help us give you our opinions / recommendations

Here's a link to some tripod heads
B&H Tripod Heads

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 3 months ago #18407 by Alex

writers_wife wrote: I take quite a few photos of birds in flight, moving animals, etc. and it can often take some time waiting for just the right shot. I want to purchase a tripod to make my life a little easier. I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel XS and I came across a checklist to help me decide what to get. Problem is, I don't understand one of the questions. What do they mean by TRIPOD HEAD? The entire question is "What tripod head will be mounted on it?"

Can someone define tripod head for me? Also, if anyone has any tripod recommendations, I'm all ears.

First question for you is what sort of budget are you looking to spend. The thing about tripods is that you can find them as inexpensive as costing under $100.00 to others that cost over $1000.00 all day long. Most will recommend to not go cheap on a tripod, as these instruments will last you a long time, plus make taking photos or getting set up for that shot easier or more difficult depending on the tripods setup.

As far as recommendations I can only speak of Manfrotto in terms of Tripods. I have aluminum tripod of theirs and also their carbon fiber set up as well.

Now the tripod head Is the ball head unit that connects your camera to the tripod and has various movement to it. The two brands I can speak of are Manfrotto for one, actually both my tripods had Manfrottos 488R4 ballheads, till I moved to Acratech's GP ball head system. I would recommend both, but highly recommend the Acratech by far the most.

Hope this helps!

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #18638 by Joe Photo Daddy
Manfrotto seems to a have nice selection of middle of the road to higher end tripods.

13 years 2 months ago #26824 by detective
The pan head on a tripod is a flat plate on top of the tripd that the camera is affixed to along with a handle that extends back from the head to allow the camera to be panned. This type of head keeps the camera in a horizontal or near horizontal plane. Pan heads are generally used for video setups, but lots of still camera shooters use them, too.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024