DSLR camera's with metal body and shock resistant

12 years 4 months ago #183999 by Janos
Odd ball question. Are there any DSLR camera bodies that have a metal body that are shock resistant? A family friend is at the house right now, this person does a lot of rock climbing and would have the camera strapped to side and potentially hitting rocks a lot.

Then there comes the issue of the lens and how durable the lens would have to be. I was telling him he could get those neoprene lens covers.

What do you think?

Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #184040 by mattmoran
I think your friend should figure out how to carry the camera in such a way that it is not striking any rocks. Perhaps wrapped in lots of padding inside a backpack. Of course, he would have to unpack it to take a picture, which means he would only be taking a picture from a secure position.

If that is too much of a limitation, he may want to look into a ruggedized compact camera. The image quality wouldn't be nearly as good as a DSLR of course, but it will be easier to operate while hanging off a ledge with one arm.

Just my two cents.

-Matt
12 years 4 months ago #184070 by No Show

mattmoran wrote: I think your friend should figure out how to carry the camera in such a way that it is not striking any rocks. Perhaps wrapped in lots of padding inside a backpack. Of course, he would have to unpack it to take a picture, which means he would only be taking a picture from a secure position.

If that is too much of a limitation, he may want to look into a ruggedized compact camera. The image quality wouldn't be nearly as good as a DSLR of course, but it will be easier to operate while hanging off a ledge with one arm.

Just my two cents.

:agree: try a sling bag from Lowepro

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #184126 by effron
He needs a quality point and shoot.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago #184129 by Henry Peach
The plastics that they make DSLR bodies out of do a better job absorbing shock than metal bodies. They make modern car and airplane bodies out of similar materials. But it doesn't matter much what the body is made of; internal electronics and glass are fragile enough there is always the chance they could be damaged by an impact. The top of the line pro model DSLRs are somewhat more rugged.

There are a variety of "camera armor" products. Thick, rubber encasements that go around the body and lens. A DSLR could be kept in a hard case, such as a Pelican Case.

I would second the advice to go with a waterproof, impact resistant compact camera. It's smaller, lighter, faster to use, and I think that the better models are probably more impact resistant than the most expensive, pro-quality DSLRs. And a lot cheaper.
12 years 3 months ago #184275 by Tylor3pic
If there is one, tell me where I can buy it. My sister is very rough with her camera and she doesn't even rock climb. lol

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024