How to photograph white clothing on white background??

12 years 4 months ago #186445 by Skinny431
Hi, how can i take a picture of someone wearing white clothing on white background? Every time I try the picture gets dark.
Any suggestions?

12 years 4 months ago #186450 by Beers
Shoot in manual.

In auto, the camera assumes every scene will average out to middle grey, so when you shoot bright scenes, they are underexposed. Set the exposure yourself, with the brightest parts of the scene being just shy of overexposed.

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #186452 by Henry Peach
If using a flash set +1 stop flash comp (if your camera is set to 1/3rd stop increments that would be 3 clicks). If that's not bright enough add more. If not using a flash set +1 stop exposure comp. If that's not bright enough add more...
12 years 4 months ago #186456 by jules
Firstly, we need to understand how your camera decides what exposure to use. All modern cameras have a reflected light meter in them. They read the light reflecting off of the scene. Now, because the camera doesn't know what it's shooting (only how bright it is), it has to make an assumption, and that is that every scene is an average of middle gray. This system will fail when your scene is actually brighter or darker than middle gray. Like in your example, you are shooting a scene that is all white...which is much brighter than middle gray. The camera doesn't know that it's shooting white, only that there is something bright in front of it...so it recommends settings that will make that white look like middle gray...which will be an underexposed image.

In other words, when the camera's meter sees a bight scene, it underexposes...and when it sees a dark scene, it will overexpose. So as the photographer, you need to realize this and compensate for it. So in your case, you would need to dial in some exposure compensation in the positive direction.

That is basic exposure.

You should also consider that if you are shooting white on white, if both the clothes and the background are lit and exposed to white, they may blend into each other in the photo. For this reason, you may actually want to underexpose the clothes just a bit, keeping the background nice and white. This will allow the clothes to stand out or separate from the background.

12 years 4 months ago #186459 by Skinny431

Beers wrote: Shoot in manual.

In auto, the camera assumes every scene will average out to middle grey, so when you shoot bright scenes, they are underexposed. Set the exposure yourself, with the brightest parts of the scene being just shy of overexposed.

That is probably my issue. I wasn't shooting in manual, I was shooting in aperture mode.

12 years 4 months ago #186460 by Skinny431

jules wrote: Firstly, we need to understand how your camera decides what exposure to use. All modern cameras have a reflected light meter in them. They read the light reflecting off of the scene. Now, because the camera doesn't know what it's shooting (only how bright it is), it has to make an assumption, and that is that every scene is an average of middle gray. This system will fail when your scene is actually brighter or darker than middle gray. Like in your example, you are shooting a scene that is all white...which is much brighter than middle gray. The camera doesn't know that it's shooting white, only that there is something bright in front of it...so it recommends settings that will make that white look like middle gray...which will be an underexposed image.

In other words, when the camera's meter sees a bight scene, it underexposes...and when it sees a dark scene, it will overexpose. So as the photographer, you need to realize this and compensate for it. So in your case, you would need to dial in some exposure compensation in the positive direction.

That is basic exposure.

You should also consider that if you are shooting white on white, if both the clothes and the background are lit and exposed to white, they may blend into each other in the photo. For this reason, you may actually want to underexpose the clothes just a bit, keeping the background nice and white. This will allow the clothes to stand out or separate from the background.

Thank you. I never knew that camera sees gray. That would explain a lot. So I just need to over expose a tad to shoot white, to come out white. I think I'll be shooting later today, so I'll give it a try.

12 years 4 months ago #186728 by Stealthy Ninja

jules wrote: Firstly, we need to understand how your camera decides what exposure to use. All modern cameras have a reflected light meter in them. They read the light reflecting off of the scene. Now, because the camera doesn't know what it's shooting (only how bright it is), it has to make an assumption, and that is that every scene is an average of middle gray. This system will fail when your scene is actually brighter or darker than middle gray. Like in your example, you are shooting a scene that is all white...which is much brighter than middle gray. The camera doesn't know that it's shooting white, only that there is something bright in front of it...so it recommends settings that will make that white look like middle gray...which will be an underexposed image.

That is basic exposure.

This.
12 years 4 months ago #186877 by Henry Peach

Skinny431 wrote: That is probably my issue. I wasn't shooting in manual, I was shooting in aperture mode.

Not that operating in M is difficult, but in any of the auto modes you can adjust what tone the meter is going for using exposure compensation.

If you are using a flash in auto mode (ettl, ittl, etc...) setting the camera to M may cause problems. The flash will continue to underexpose a stop or so, and the camera will expose ambient light fully. If the ambient light isn't white it will cause a color cast. The flash also needs to be told to go for white rather than middle gray using flash compensation or manually setting flash power.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024