Purpose of tilt shifting lens?

12 years 4 months ago #191499 by Scott Grant
What would a tilt shift lens be used for? Just landscape?

12 years 4 months ago #191507 by mattmoran
Landscapes.
Architecture.
Making large things look miniature.

Any time you want to really increase or selectively decrease your depth of field.

-Matt
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #191571 by Henry Peach

mattmoran wrote: Any time you want to really increase or selectively decrease your depth of field.

That's the tilt part.

Shift allows you to move the image cast by the lens on the film or sensor.

For instance if you are shooting a building with a normal lens to get the top of the building might require tilting the camera up. This causes the sides of the building to converge towards each other. With a shift lens you could keep the camera level, and shift the lens upwards to get the top of the building, and then the sides of the building would be parallel in the photo.

I have a buddy who shoots landscapes with an old medium format tilt-shift lens. He takes three exposures, one shifted to the left, one in the center, and one shifted to the right, and then stitches them in PS. Shifting, rather than turning the tripod head or camera, means each photo lines up perfectly, and is easy to stitch. Turning the camera, without a panoramic head, changes the perspective between near and far objects differently, and can make stitching tricky.

View cameras allow a greater variety of camera movements, and photographers have found many uses for them. A tilt-shift lens brings some of that to cameras that normally don't allow camera movements.
12 years 4 months ago #191573 by cwitt311
:agree:

But here is my answer...tilt shift lenses are fun to the point they make things look like toys. lol I mean they appear to be toy like, but that is not the reason to shoot tilt shift. Henry, gave a really good answer. :)

12 years 4 months ago #191587 by Henry Peach
For more on camera movements google the "Scheimpflug principle".
12 years 4 months ago #191630 by Areese482

Henry Peach wrote: For more on camera movements google the "Scheimpflug principle".

Wow, umm is that even a word? lol Scheimflug? How do you pronounce that? lol

12 years 4 months ago #191636 by Henry Peach
It's a German(?) last name. I pronounce it shime-floog, but someone who knows German probably knows better.
12 years 4 months ago #191645 by Areese482

Henry Peach wrote: It's a German(?) last name. I pronounce it shime-floog, but someone who knows German probably knows better.

Alright. Thanks. Now that I know how to pronounce it, I can look it up and understand it better. :thumbsup:

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #191785 by icepics
I think the Lensbaby is a variation of this on a smaller scale, at least with the Original and 2.0, you move the lens in and out to focus, then shift or turn it to whatever position you want.

Vincent Laforet does photos using tilt shift, you can see some in his portfolio on his website - www.laforetvisuals.com .

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #191819 by Provo
Well Tilt shift photography can be fun, the purpose is to make things seem like toyish.
Real life structures, people etc..

To achieve this result of Tilt Shift well you can purchase lens specifically for that.
Or you can do it in various software I actually have a photoshop action script I had made a while back that you can use to get the result. But there's even easier ways if you have the software.

Software such as Topaz Lens Effect has a Tilt Shift feature. So does OnOne tools.

* If anyone is interested in the Photoshop Action contact me and I will give you the link
to my site where you can download it.

Here's some examples I have done with Tilt shift.

PROVO

12 years 4 months ago #191910 by UndertheBridge

Provo wrote: Well Tilt shift photography can be fun, the purpose is to make things seem like toyish.

To achieve this result of Tilt Shift well you can purchase lens specifically for that.
Or you can do it in various software I actually have a photoshop action script I had made a while back that you can use to get the result. But there's even easier ways if you have the software.

Software such as Topaz Lens Effect has a Tilt Shift feature. So does OnOne tools.

* If anyone is interested in the Photoshop Action contact me and I will give you the link

How time u have to play with toys i kid laughing, magic picture happy time me make. :agree:

I want to learn how to photography, so i can be good photo.

I Jøhån Blîktérg Hyvää päivää
Make word hard english number 2 language

12 years 3 months ago #192223 by Vincent

Provo wrote: Well Tilt shift photography can be fun, the purpose is to make things seem like toyish.

Really like your work :thumbsup:

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192392 by Stanly

Vincent wrote:

Really like your work :thumbsup:

:agree: let's see more :thumbsup:

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192600 by Jeanne Merlo

:drool: :judge:

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #192858 by Henry Peach
When you look at the photos of the landscape photography masters of the 20th century you are often seeing the effects of camera movements. By slighting tilting the lens downward they adjust the orientation of the DOF so that it's also tilted forward rather than parallel to the film plane. With horizontal subjects, such as the ground, this has the effect of appearing like deeper DOF is achieved. If you think of DOF as a box, with the lens plane parallel to the film plane the DOF for a subject perpendicular to the film plane is measured from front to back in the box. By tilting the lens plane the DOF for a subject perpendicular to the film plane can be measured at diagonal in the box, and that's a longer distance. If tried with a subject parallel to the film plane, such as a tall building this could cause the roof to be outside the DOF, as the DOF is tilted forward.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024