What's the worst accident your camera gear experienced and survived?

12 years 3 months ago #192882 by ArtWagner
YES! It's a Saturday and it's a "I'm bored question" :rofl:

Figured this might be good reading. So post up the biggest accident that your camera gear experienced AND survived. :toetap:

;)

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192912 by effron
Many years ago I accompanied my Argus C3 over a twelve foot waterfall. It hit a rock or two, ended up in eight to ten feet of water, where it stayed for an hour or so. After retrieving it and patching up my canoe mate, removed film, set in sun for a spell to dry out, reloaded new film and it worked fine. I still have it, and it still sports the small dent, however it developed some rust in storage so its now just a conversation piece.
My fairly new, (at the time) Nikkormat FTN was sitting safely in the trunk of my car........B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192955 by Adam Nagle
I have a couple cases to share. First is one that I'm betting many have experienced: washed my memory card! Second I have dropped my camera off a collapsible table once, no major damage other than a small scratch.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #192959 by Darrell
Getting ready to photograph my first wedding. Everything packed, double checked, I was ready, picked up my camera bag ( pack pack style) and it was not zippered, camera hit the floor. Didn't hurt my Nikon at all. I still break out in a sweat when I think about it.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 months ago #193065 by HawaiiGuy
Few years back I dropped my Canon point and shoot camera in the ocean. RIP camera

12 years 3 months ago #193107 by Camera Diva
Glad to know it wasn't your DSLR that fell into the water!

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193195 by icepics
One drop too many on concrete in hockey rinks, the camera survived although has by now seen better days. The lens worked til months later when I was focusing, felt something give, and everything went out of focus.

It all started with a drop in a canoe years ago which just left a dent in the lens cap.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193325 by John Landolfi
Removing my F4s from my neck to change film, I dropped it with 15mm mounted. It fell on concrete, on its back. I sweated cold, until I realized all worked fine. It still does, five years later. Those Nikons are built to last!

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193418 by One Wish
Oh man :rofl: thank goodness all I've done is drop my camera a couple feet

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193438 by someoldsong
I have had a Point and Shoot Panasonic Lumix for years(which is now a dust collector) but I took it everywhere. the thing was built like a tank. I have taken spill while snow skiing with it in my hand filming and tracked it down in the snow. its fallen out of my sweatshirt pocket at car shows and gone tumbling down the parking lot. It has survived alot. Honestly untile I got a DSLR I had no use for another camera. Still works great too!

Another story was my Flip Mino HD. This december, I went skiing in West Virginia and the weather sucked, it was way too warm with now new snow so I was basically skiing on ice. Well the place was really busy and the runs were extremely limited due to no snow so the whole place was just eaten out with the ruts of where people had been taking their line down the hill. well I was experimenting going a different way which made me hit a dip I didnt see made out of ice which somehow bizarrely made me twist my knee inward so my skiis were pointing two different directions and face planted. best part is I had my camera in my hand the whole time. it hit the snow but didnt fly out of my hand. great footage lol

12 years 3 months ago #193574 by Jim Photo

John Landolfi wrote: Removing my F4s from my neck to change film, I dropped it with 15mm mounted. It fell on concrete, on its back. I sweated cold, until I realized all worked fine. It still does, five years later. Those Nikons are built to last!

I got chills up my back just thinking about the noise that must had made!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024