Do you prefer a zoom lens over a prime lens?

12 years 3 months ago #193141 by Pettigrew
I just got back from my once a month photography meet up at Starbucks and today the topic was prime or zoom. It was interesting to see what other photographers prefered to use and why.

So this isn't my idea, but a discussion from today's meet up. Answer the question zoom lens or prime... and WHY you prefer.

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193153 by McBeth Photography
I like the convenience of the zoom for composition but, when I am trying to control my DOF it is easier to use a prime lens and my DOF chart.

It is what it is.
12 years 3 months ago #193161 by icepics
I don't care much for zoom lenses, because - I don't like the zooming! LOL I think it's the changing distance as the lens zooms in and out that I find annoying. I tend to change my vantage point as I'm framing a shot anyway so maybe that's why zooms don't work for me. I can see where they could be an advantage if you're shooting a subject off in the distance and can't get any closer.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193167 by mattmoran
Primes:
Better optical performance (for the price).
Generally faster.
Generally smaller/lighter.
Force you to be more creative -- if you don't like what you see in the viewfinder you have to move the camera and find a different viewpoint, not just spin a dial.

Zooms:
More convenient, cause you don't have to change lenses.

I prefer primes because I'm not rich, and I like fast lenses. However, I hate changing lenses in the field. It's such a pain. Maybe someday I'll spend the coin to get a high quality wide angle (like the Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II USM) or telephoto (like the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II). But I'm more likely to pick up another midrange prime for 1/3 to 1/5 the price of one of those zooms.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #193183 by effron
Do you prefer a zoom lens over a prime lens?

Sometimes I like Italian food, other times I prefer Mexican or Chinese. Other times give me a cheeseburger........ Zoom or prime?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193186 by Dori
It depends on what I am shooting. I really don't prefer one more that the other.

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #193201 by johns1947
It depends on what I'm shooting.

When kids are involved,... i generally go with a zoom.

When I'm in a situation where the focal length is set,..
I go with a prime whenever possible.

Primes are FASTER,..
Primes are SHARPER.

period.

12 years 3 months ago #193202 by KCook
If my budget was unlimited, I would prefer fast primes. But at the consumer price level, zooms are a better value. So I'm still waiting to win the lottery while I make do with a couple of zooms.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #193272 by johns1947

Pettigrew wrote: I just got back from my once a month photography meet up at Starbucks and today the topic was prime or zoom. It was interesting to see what other photographers prefered to use and why.

So this isn't my idea, but a discussion from today's meet up. Answer the question zoom lens or prime... and WHY you prefer.

You've got a LOT of glass listed below your post,..
most are zooms.
A couple are primes.
The 50mm and the 100 macro. You don't say if the 100 is the L series, but it doesn't matter.
Do some 'test' shots at about the same magnification.
you've got at least two lenses you can compare with each of those primes.
I think you'll be amazed at the difference in sharpness between the lenses.
Compare them all at about two stops down from wide open. This should put each lens near it's 'sweet spot'.
by the way, use a tripod.

12 years 3 months ago #193276 by Scotty

johns1947 wrote: It depends on what I'm shooting.

When kids are involved,... i generally go with a zoom.

When I'm in a situation where the focal length is set,..
I go with a prime whenever possible.

Primes are FASTER,..
Primes are SHARPER.

period.

They're faster, but not always sharper.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193290 by Alex
Depends... I've had a 24mm on my camera for a couple months now. Unless I'm going out with purpose... I just tool around with what I haven't used in a while. Is that a dead giveaway of a hobbyist photographer? Or just someone who hasn't had a lot of time behind the camera recently :(

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193291 by Scotty

Alex wrote: Depends... I've had a 24mm on my camera for a couple months now. Unless I'm going out with purpose... I just tool around with what I haven't used in a while. Is that a dead giveaway of a hobbyist photographer? Or just someone who hasn't had a lot of time behind the camera recently :(

I don't understand why you just don't give me that lens for no reason.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193293 by Alex

Scotty wrote:

Alex wrote: Depends... I've had a 24mm on my camera for a couple months now. Unless I'm going out with purpose... I just tool around with what I haven't used in a while. Is that a dead giveaway of a hobbyist photographer? Or just someone who hasn't had a lot of time behind the camera recently :(

Because it's on my camera! :rofl:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193294 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot with both and can't say that I prefer one over the other as both of my primary lenses are fast glass, both are sharp and both produce the results that I am after.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 3 months ago #193298 by Scotty
:(

Alex wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Because it's on my camera! :rofl:

:( :(

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024