All NON Pro photographers answer this question

12 years 3 months ago #193698 by Foxy Girl
Do you ever run out of gas and need a reboot or something? I think over the last year I have been working so hard to build up experience that I almost feel unmotivated to pick up my camera in the last week. I need feel I need a kick in the butt or something. Last time I picked up my camera I was un motivated and my shots showed it.

Do you ever find yourself in a rut like this? What do you do to get re inspired?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193701 by Ogy55
Yes, actually I do. When that happens, I usually take a break from photography altogether. Pretty much I have just ran myself into the ground and the only way to pick myself back up and enjoy shooting again is taking a break. I have tried to force myself to go out to shoot, but it doesn't work. I have no energy, no desire, no motivation..nothing. So I said the heck with it, I packed all photo equipment away and took a break, until I ready to shoot again...and when I did pick up that camera, it was fun to shoot.

12 years 3 months ago #193702 by mattmoran
My camera stays in the closet for months at a time. Then its out for months and I take lots and lots of pictures. Then it goes back in the closet. It's never a conscious decision. It's just sometimes I feel like carrying a camera around. Sometimes I don't.

-Matt
12 years 3 months ago #193728 by Karl Wertanen
:blink: Don't complain too much. I'd be lucky to have time to make it out shooting once every 4-5 weeks! :silly:
12 years 3 months ago #193750 by effron
[quote="Foxy Girl" post=193698

Do you ever find yourself in a rut like this? What do you do to get re inspired?[/quote]

Yes. Try something new.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193757 by fotozone
Yes I do have been having that problem also. I know that part of my problem in that the lack of winter weather (until the past few days) has left me very uninspired. When I have that problem when there are things to shoot I don't push my self I just wait for the inspiration to shoot again. Sometimes I will go for a walk and will take my camera with me but I do not make my self take any photos I just hope I will find some sort of inspiration if I don't at least I had a nice walk.
12 years 3 months ago #193867 by John37
My motivation is killed, after getting excited about a shoot and expecting photos that will make me feel like I progressed a little, only to find out the pics look like crap when I open them up, and instead making me feel like I went backwards! I have really high expectations for myself, which doesn't help.
My other problem is that, by the time I get out of work, it's too dark to shoot. In the morning, my commute is timed to the minute, after dropping my kids off at school. I have no time to stop and shoot on the way to work.
I carry my camera with me everywhere I go, even into Starbucks when I get my coffee, or walking up town. I get weird looks, but I've had a lot of good conversations, too. This helps my motivation a little.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 3 months ago #193869 by Dori
I have asked for and gotten my fanny kicked here. What I did was find a different genre to shoot. That worked for me! :thumbsup:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 3 months ago #193870 by icepics
I don't think anybody sounds too motivated to do much of anything this time of year, I feel like it's a post-holiday slump. But I just saw orange barrels on the news which must mean spring can't be too far away!

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193873 by Karl Wertanen

John37 wrote: My motivation is killed, after getting excited about a shoot and expecting photos that will make me feel like I progressed a little, only to find out the pics look like crap when I open them up, and instead making me feel like I went backwards! I have really high expectations for myself, which doesn't help.

I'm the exact same way with the expectations John. I get so pumped up and excited that I captured something special that when I get my film back from processing, I'm completely let down and totaly frustrated. I've found that if i put those pics away for a month or so and bring them back out to examine them later, that I really did capture something special and that I'm just a victim of my own self criticism and excitement of anticipation at the time. Try putting them away for a while and then look at them again a little time from now. You might be pleasantly suprised. We are our own worst critics and we beat ourselves up when expectations are high when we are passionate about what we do. Don't get discouraged.
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193878 by johns1947

John37 wrote: My motivation is killed, after getting excited about a shoot and expecting photos that will make me feel like I progressed a little, only to find out the pics look like crap when I open them up, and instead making me feel like I went backwards! I have really high expectations for myself, which doesn't help.

This expresses my self analyses so accurately it's scary.

I'm retired (officially) but my current 'hobby' is driving taxi.
As such, I'm all over town.
I've started taking my camera with me.
The advantage is that I don't have to 'plan' outings,.. they just happen.
When I get 'slow',.. I grab the camera and get busy.

I'm reminded of that old saying:
Luck,.. is when preparation meets opportunity.
I'm hoping to get 'lucky'.

In the meantime, I'm becoming more and more familiar with the camera.

12 years 3 months ago #193890 by robbie
Sometimes I don`t even want to process my shots far less shoot,when that happens I just enjoy the time doing other fun stuff.

12 years 3 months ago #193891 by mj~shutterbugg
Oh I go in phases. If nothing jumps out at me, nothing gets shot. In fact I don't think I shot once through December besides holiday family stuff. I will force myself occasionally and sometimes I get a winner. Sometimes I get a pile of steaming... I like to look for interesting flowers everywhere and sometimes I end up with a beautiful bouquet that just lightens my mood even if the flower shots are crap. I try and find joy or beauty in everything, that seems to help my mood and to get me more ready to shoot. For me, if I am not in the mood I am not in the mood. The recent snow (which is all gone) had me curious so I put on the boots and hiked around my neighborhood. I wasn't initially happy with what I got but after some post, I found a gem. So it was worth the outing. I also will do like Lila and just walk with the camera and hope for inspiration.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 3 months ago #193899 by Foxy Girl

Karl Wertanen wrote: :blink: Don't complain too much. I'd be lucky to have time to make it out shooting once every 4-5 weeks! :silly:

Your photos are so beautiful, inspiring :P

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193900 by Foxy Girl

effron wrote: [quote="Foxy Girl" post=193698

Do you ever find yourself in a rut like this? What do you do to get re inspired?

Yes. Try something new.[/quote]

The problem is Effron, is that I'm almost at a point where my brain just shuts off :toocrazy:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024