All NON Pro photographers answer this question

12 years 3 months ago #193901 by Foxy Girl
I think I should just let my camera site in my closet and take a couple week break. I've been working really hard and perhaps need to unplug for a bit. :beerbang:

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193905 by Trilby
I agree that sometimes,only very rarely, that is the best way to get your photo legs back on. Try just a week though. I find if I'm looking for stuff to photograph you reach a point where nothing seems worthy. If I put the camera down and forget about it, it's usually only a day or two before I can't put it down again.

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
12 years 3 months ago #193906 by Foxy Girl
Perhaps I just need a vacation

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193908 by Baydream

icepics wrote: I don't think anybody sounds too motivated to do much of anything this time of year, I feel like it's a post-holiday slump. But I just saw orange barrels on the news which must mean spring can't be too far away!

Not the dreaded ORANGE BARRELS! Go shoot some. Might be fun. :unsure:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193913 by Foxy Girl
Orange barrels? I don't get it :toocrazy:

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #193928 by Karl Wertanen

Foxy Girl wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote: :blink: Don't complain too much. I'd be lucky to have time to make it out shooting once every 4-5 weeks! :silly:

Your photos are so beautiful, inspiring :P

:silly: Thanks
When I first got into photography, I went head first and it really became a passion and a major part of my life. After about 3 years I hit a mental/creative roadblock where I has absolutely no vision at all. I didnt really want it to fade but photograhy pretty much faded away with my lack of creativity and growing frustration. I put it on the shelf, started getting into other hobbies and about 8or so years passed by before I finally dusted it off. And since I dusted it off a little over 2 years ago, it just flows naturally now. I feel fresh and rejuvinated. I'm still learning new tricks and seeing new things I could photograph (if I only had the time) .
Maybe a break would be a good thing. I'm not saying 8 years but what ever is natural for you. You should be able to feel it. You'll know it..... Maybe that's all it is. You might just be burnt out and need a break. My break did wonders for me.
12 years 3 months ago #193936 by icepics
Apparently it did Karl, and you always have some good insight. Trilby had a good point too, sometimes taking a break makes something seem fresh when you come back to it, maybe with some new perspective. I've sometimes gotten stuck with whatever creative project I'm working on, leave it even just overnight and come back to it and a lightbulb goes on and I know right away what to do with it.

So maybe just taking a break will help Foxy. And the orange barrels are jokingly considered the first sign of spring around here... John, now that I took an early retirement my days of commuting in and out of the city are thankfully over - and I live way out so don't see so much of the orange barrels anymore - but then again it could be fun in the summer to knock over a few barrels on the way to the demolition derby! (Oh wait, that was my daily commute on the interstate...)

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193940 by Scotty
I haven't shot in almost two months. Take a break, it'll work wonders...promise.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #193960 by McBeth Photography
I have found it very hard to keep motivated, lots of stuff happening at home, night school, work is hell right now, and it is a challenge to even keep up with family and friends....but in the end, I shoot because I enjoy it and it is one of the very few things that I do for me because I really enjoy it so. And that keeps me interested, to say the least. Take your breaks when you need to, don't try to force it....when your ready again, your camera will be there waiting for you.

I take my camera and a lens everywhere I go, and when I don't take a camera......I see shots everywhere.

It is what it is.
12 years 3 months ago #194161 by Joves
Well as I have aged I have become more selective on shooting as it is. But when I did hit slumps I used to throw the camera in the pack and not take it out, always carrying it though, and would just wander around with no intention of shooting. Sometimes it is fun to just watch the world go by without meaning to shoot it and the funny thing is something comes up to shoot. Has always worked for me. I compare it to when you have misplaced something and cant find it because you are looking for it, but only find it when it isnt even on your mind. :lol:

12 years 3 months ago #194237 by Janos
I just put my camera down for a couple weeks, focus on my other hobby's and come back to my camera with clarity and new found interest.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #194291 by crystal
I really can't say I've been in a rut. Don't get me wrong, I don't shoot unless there is something to shoot. All winter we barely had any snow, so it's been a while since I picked up the camera, but just last Saturday we got 5inches of snow (the most this year). So I headed out and took photos. Yesterday, I tried out my new light tent and shot some photos of flowers.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024