shooting indoor sports.

12 years 2 months ago #196260 by Mike eats photos
I've been shooting high school sports on and off. I've been moderately pleased with my photos until I started shooting digital. Most of the photos are still good, or at least good enough, but the indoor sports shots are terrible. They are dark, blurry, you name it. I've played around with the ISO. I've read, the argument pertaining to not shooting with a flash so as not to annoy players, coaches, etc. I read from one person who shoots with the power stopped way down to use as fill flash. Then from another person who bounces flashes off the ceiling. And from many who use no flash at all.

Here's my question. If I can afford only one thing, either the most powerful flash I can afford or the best lens (i.e. maximum aperture opening) what should I do? Also, one more question: If I have a flash that works adequately at a certain distance at ISO 400 and then I bump my ISO up to 1600, does that increase the useable distance of my flash by 4x? I would appreciate any advice.

12 years 2 months ago #196261 by Heather4U
The problem with using flash for sports photographer is light fall off.

If the distance is doubled only 1/4 of the light gets there. Double the distance again and only 1/16th of the light gets there. It's known as the Inverse Square Law.

So, a lens that can open to a nice wide maximum aperture provides more light gathering regardless the distance, so you can use shutter speeds high enough to stop motion. The problem here is that for sports you not only need a wide aperture, you need reach. 200mm is about the minimum reach for basketball if you're shooting from the floor.

Many sports shooters will use a 70-200 mm f/2.8 lens to shoot indoor sports.

The other way you can go is to get a camera that has great high ISO performance. Another not inexpensive route to take.

So what it really boils down to is shooting indoor, or outdoor night time, sports requires some of the more expensive photography gear available.

12 years 2 months ago #196264 by S0cc3r
Don't worry about the flash bothering the players, I shoot soccer and sometimes I may have to use flash and no one even takes notice to it. If they do, it doesn't bother them, as everyone continues playing like nothing happen.

12 years 2 months ago #196265 by Mike eats photos
Thank you all for your help. I think I may look into the 70-200 you pointed out.

12 years 2 months ago #196266 by shelland
What settings and equipment are you using that are not giving you the results you're looking for?

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 2 months ago #196269 by Mike eats photos

shelland wrote: What settings and equipment are you using that are not giving you the results you're looking for?

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 70-300 f4.5. I shoot on the aperture mode. My shutter speed tends to be too low and sometimes I get blurry shot. Which is why I was asking about using or not using a flash. I am also really considering in buying the 70-200 f2.8 that was mention.

12 years 2 months ago #196309 by shelland

Mike eats photos wrote:

shelland wrote: What settings and equipment are you using that are not giving you the results you're looking for?

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 70-300 f4.5. I shoot on the aperture mode. My shutter speed tends to be too low and sometimes I get blurry shot. Which is why I was asking about using or not using a flash. I am also really considering in buying the 70-200 f2.8 that was mention.

Shooting at f/4.5 would be awfully tough in most gyms - especially if your aperture gets smaller as you zoom. Bumping your ISO as high as you can will help, but probably not enough to make that aperture work.

I shoot Canon, and have used a Tamron f/2.8 28-75 for about a year. That allowed me to stay at a constant aperture of f/2.8, which is a huge help. I still struggled in some gyms, even at 3200.

I just got a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 last week myself that I used last weekend at my son's game for the first time. The lighting was pretty rough in that gym, and even at f/2.8 and 3200 I had to slow down to about 1/320 to get respectable exposure. The results were OK, but I'd sure prefer to be at 1/500 or faster. This weekend I'm going to take some test shots at even higher ISO's to see how well the noise cleans up in LR above 3200. I am not using a flash at all myself.

A lot of people also like to use an f/1.8 85mm for indoor sports, which gains you a lot more light but loses the ability to zoom.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #196347 by icepics
Using a flash seems to depend somewhat on the sport and/or venue and what's allowed, as well as your position (how close you are to the players). I've shot hockey and some youth basketball with existing light; either a flash wasn't allowed or I felt like it wasn't the best idea being at the level of the playing surface to have a flash going off.

I've done a good bit in local rinks/arenas with low lighting which I've found varies depending on the age of the building. I use mostly film and haven't yet shot sports with a digital camera, I often used 1/125 because any faster shutter speeds didn't give me enough light. That's pretty slow for sports and in a brighter arena I could use 1/250 or 1/500.

Maybe it would work better to use manual settings so you can control the shutter speed etc. I don't know that the aperture would matter as much as having a fast enough shutter speed to keep from getting blur. The aperture being more open would help with close ups/portrait type shots but otherwise I don't know that it matters so much in sports if your background is a little blurry or a lot.

I would think a different lens - what I've used was at least f2.8 - might help. I don't know that you'd need all that long a lens for indoor sports so maybe it depends on what else you might use the lens for what would be your best option. I don't personally care for zoom lenses and usually tend to change my vantage point so I learned for hockey for example where was a good spot at ice level to catch action at the net. If you get a prime lens you might need to find some good vantage points at the gym where you're shooting.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #196352 by Darrell
I think you have come to the right conclusion, the 70/200 lens with a wide ISO is the answer.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #196450 by shelland

icepics wrote: I don't know that the aperture would matter as much as having a fast enough shutter speed to keep from getting blur. The aperture being more open would help with close ups/portrait type shots but otherwise I don't know that it matters so much in sports if your background is a little blurry or a lot.

A blurred background is typically desired so you don't have distracting people, etc in the background. But more importantly, the larger aperture you use the faster shutter speed you can achieve (obviously critical to sports photography).

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 2 months ago #196455 by Rob pix4u2
With basketball and at courtside even a 50mm F 1.8 can give you enough shutter speed to freeze the action. I shoot mostly in arena lighting like Sharon and find that the Vantage point from Press row requires a fast telephoto lens to capture the action with a shutter speed of 1/400th to 1/500 at F3.2. the 70-200 F2.8 should give you some flexibility. The 70mm end may still be a bit much if you are close to the players but further away should do fine.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 2 months ago #196457 by shelland

Rob pix4u2 wrote: The 70mm end may still be a bit much if you are close to the players but further away should do fine.

Using my 70-200 for the first time last weekend, it was definitely a lot different for me after shooting nearly two seasons with a lens that topped out at 75mm. But I'm not complaining - it's something I can get used to. :thumbsup:

I was on the baseline about where the 3-point line meets the baseline. Under the basket would be nearly impossible with that much zoom on the short end.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 2 months ago #196476 by icepics
Rob makes a good point about the distance you'd be from the action and what length lens would work best. I'd usually shoot more at ice level but it depends on the arena and how it's laid out and where you can stand.

I was thinking that if there was lower light which can be the case with local venues, I'd sacrifice a bit of depth of field for a decent shutter speed for sports. But it varies too with the distance from the player or the action and the seats etc. in the background.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024