Getting into funeral photography

12 years 2 months ago #197993 by Monster
Let me start by saying this is an idea only at this time. I was just told that photographers who take photos of the deceased make great money. I'm thinking creepy! But hey, I might get used to it if the money was good.

So...

1. Any idea what a funeral photographer makes?
2. Downsides of doing this?
3. Kind of depressing work environment, any mental issues I can expect? :toocrazy:

BTW would you do this?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #197999 by Dori
I can't answer any of you questions. But I am not sure I could do this. I guess if you aren't directly connected with the person, but what about the grief the loved ones are feeling. Couldn't this affect you?

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #198011 by photobod
My advice is dont do it, you are already sounding negative, photography is a joy something that brings great memories to us all, even if it is about someone who has passed away, you seem to be wanting to do this because you have heard that the money is great, no offense but that is a very shallow reason to do this job, you need empathy and understanding to do any people photography, be it weddings, portraits or funerals, think again, you will be a better photographer if you put the money to the end of the wish list. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 2 months ago #198020 by Monster
I see what you are saying and that is what I'm thinking about and can't seem to make a decision :silly:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198036 by Darrell
The only reason I can think that people would want a picture of the deceased is becasue they think they look better dead than alive... . But to each their own.....

Can't see myself getting up Saturday morning, "great day for photography lets go to the funeral home"

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #198064 by Studio Queen
I'm sorry but not a chance! Way to creepy for me

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198177 by effron
I had a friend who did some funeral photography, mainly for military burials. Mostly focused on location and grave site and sometimes family members, always at their request. Nice memories of the salutes firing, flag folding and presentations, decorations if available, very classy stuff.
I'm not sure if civilian funerals would be too lucrative....:unsure:

btw, you DON"T photograph the dead......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #198181 by Shadowfixer1
I've been asked a couple of times to photograph the people in the casket and I did it.
I haven't photographed an entire funeral, but my wif'e's cousin had a vidieographer shoot her mother's funeral. Different strokes for different folks.
12 years 2 months ago #198202 by john_m
As Effron said, I can see it at military funerals (some of the most impacting images I have seen have came from military funerals), but Im not to sure what you would, or and other photographer, would shoot photos of during a civilian funeral.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 2 months ago #198234 by Freshstart
Are you talking about the photos that are taken when they are doing autopsy on a person?

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198240 by Bubbles
Honestly I didn't know this was such thing as funeral photography. I figure any photos that were taken at a funeral was someone of the family or the media.

12 years 2 months ago #198241 by Bubbles

Freshstart wrote: Are you talking about the photos that are taken when they are doing autopsy on a person?

Good question. I couldn't photograph during the autopsy.

12 years 2 months ago #198253 by effron
An autopsy and funeral are two entirely different things......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198418 by CatherineW
I'll stick to the living people :thumbsup:

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #198463 by Joves
Well I would do it, but then I shoot would about anything. It really depends on your life view as to whether you could do it without it bothering you. We did a video of my grandmas funeral, it was mostly of the men in the family screwing down the top of the casket. Yes we built the casket ourselves at my grandmas request, we also made my grandpas.
Photography of funerals or the dead is nothing new. Fact is it was quite common during the 1800s. Sometimes the dead family member was posed for a family photo even. So yeah I would do it. It isnt like they are going to complain that you did not slim them down or ot rid of something they didnt like about themselves. It wouldnt matter if it was funerals or in the casket or at an autopsy it is all the same to me. We all die and when we do the person that was there has left the building.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024