Are you self taught or have formal photography training?

12 years 2 months ago #200251 by Wild Mitch
Self taught :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200292 by chasrich
I wanted to say I was formally trained so I wore a tux while I taught myself... :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #200378 by mklinejr

chasrich wrote: I wanted to say I was formally trained so I wore a tux while I taught myself... :woohoo:

:rofl: NICE

Self Taught...with books from the library, online forums like this one and on line training videos.

but the best education for me is to shoot and make mistakes

Life is much more managable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffet
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #200403 by sree2472
Same here as mklinejr. Self taught by learning from mistakes and still learning.

former senior writer cum features editor for Diamond World - a trading magazine for the gem and jewellery industry
12 years 2 months ago #200412 by Alex
Mostly self taught, did take one of Bryan Peterson's courses when I started. Learning will never stop!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200418 by sree2472

Alex wrote: Mostly self taught, did take one of Bryan Peterson's courses when I started. Learning will never stop!

I agree that learning will never stop :)

former senior writer cum features editor for Diamond World - a trading magazine for the gem and jewellery industry
12 years 2 months ago #200423 by Alex

sree2472 wrote:

Alex wrote: Mostly self taught, did take one of Bryan Peterson's courses when I started. Learning will never stop!

:thumbsup: ;)

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200425 by Stealthy Ninja

Alex wrote:

sree2472 wrote:

:thumbsup: ;)

:thumbsup: :agree: :goodpost: :drool: :judge: :woohoo: :welcomeclan
12 years 2 months ago #200442 by amazpluspro
Self taught I think!

12 years 2 months ago #200485 by crystal

sree2472 wrote:

:agree: As long as one is willing to learn and try new things, learning will never stop.
12 years 2 months ago #200732 by Kitzmiller
Self taught :)

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200760 by edvicheck
I went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh 1977-1979, but I am self taught digital.:beerbang:

12 years 2 months ago #200875 by Brushet Pics
I learned by a neighbor who is a professional photographer. I'm not self taught nor have I had formal paid training either.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #200888 by Karl Wertanen
I'm self learned :P I'd have a hell of a time teaching myself something I didn't know anything about. :silly: I did a lot of reading to learn the basic camera operations, functions, and how to get a decent exposure, experiment in the field, and studied the compositions of other peoples images. Still lots to learn!
12 years 2 months ago #200889 by CWphotos
Self taught. Always loved taking pictures. About 16 years ago, my Dad talked me into taking his Canon AE-1 home with me to try it out. I was hooked even before I picked up my first pack of prints. Bought my own first SLR a few months later, and read everything about photography that I could get my hands on.

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024