Are you self taught or have formal photography training?

12 years 2 months ago #200092 by The Original Daisy
I was reading this morning where a blogger was suggesting that most photographers these days are self taught. I'm wondering with the growing availability of online photography courses if more and more people are coming into the photography industry with some sort of training?

I mean some of these course are pretty inexpensive and very well marketed in areas where photographers are spending time. See my point?

12 years 2 months ago #200094 by crystal
I am self taught.
12 years 2 months ago #200103 by Scotty
Both.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200104 by Baydream
Also mostly self-taught. My only formal class was in college - a one semester course using 8x10 cameras and a darkroom while getting a degree in graphic design (pre-computer days). Add to that 2 or 3 workshops. A lot of my "education" has been through clubs, critiques and on-line info like that available here and in the links provided here.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200130 by Darrell
Both....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 2 months ago #200166 by Rob pix4u2
Originally taught by my Father and Uncle then self taught with a few workshops and community education classes thrown in.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 2 months ago #200168 by effron
No formal training, both things I know, I learned myself.......:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200175 by Joves
Kind of both. When I was 9 years old my grandfather gave me one of his old 120 film cameras and sent me on my way. He and my others in my family helped me with critiques and telling me what I did wrong and how to improve. They also taught me to keep notes of my shots and the settings, from there I learned on my own. I also read many books on it from Kodak mostly and many of the photo mags.

12 years 2 months ago #200195 by icepics
Anybody can write a blog, doesn't mean they necessarily know that much about the subject, although there are good blogs and some not so much. I imagine a lot of photographers have always been self-taught, usually formal training would have been as part of an art or journalism program. So I don't know that it's a recent trend to be self-taught, but more that there's more available online.

I'm mostly self taught, more formal training was in art although that was in electives not toward a degree (that I have in education). I've done reading (books and online), took workshops, continuing ed. classes, etc. and am taking an online course currently.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #200202 by scifitographer
Self taught.

12 years 2 months ago #200220 by digishutterbug
Self taught with some evening classes thrown in. I have been lucky to enough to join good camera clubs and find friends willing to help. My self teaching has been mostly trial and error, with error winning.:P

12 years 2 months ago #200237 by robbie
Been shooting alot before I took a 18 month course at a community college,I didn`t retain much
because of my Ir Addiction..came in contact with Ir there....breeze thru the course so I concentrate on Ir.With the advent of Digital learn alot on sites like this and thru mags and books.With Ir had to experiment alot to find my workflow which is pretty much set...crazy as it is!!!

12 years 2 months ago #200242 by Dori
Self taught

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 2 months ago #200243 by andy2
self taught and still learning.

i aims i shoot i miss
12 years 2 months ago #200250 by mj~shutterbugg
I started with formal training, and lean on that instinctually now, but since then it's been self taught. So I say both. I have grown a lot since joining this site.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024