How to light Stainless Steel?

12 years 2 months ago #200917 by Powell Pink
I am going to be photographing large rotisseries that cook 12 chickens on a steel spike at the same time.
The exterior of the units are all stainless steel, and there is a flame seen behind the chickens through the closed glass doors of one of the units cooking the chickens. The glass doors need to be closed. The chickens will not be turning but already cooked.. I need to be able to capture the unit, chickens & flame with no reflections in the stainless.

My thought was to use numerous white 4’ x 8’ foam cores to block the reflections around the reflective parts of the stainless steel rotisseries. I am also thinking of using 2 or 3 daylight balanced flash monoblock units with umbrellas to light everything and then a bit of a time exposure to capture the flame. There are fluorescents (not many or strong but approx 25 feet up on the ceiling. I also have tungsten lamps, but they get very hot to work with. If I use the Tungsten lighting do I need to use a Gel to balance the fluorescents with the tungsten lights?

Naturally I want the colors to be proper due to the florescents.. I plan on making some kind of a box taping the foam cores to each other and hopefully putting 1 over the top of the rotisserie to block the fluorescents from affecting the colors. I will shoot in Raw so I can do some color corrections if necessary in Photoshop.

My Question.

Does this seem like the proper route to take? Which lighting system would you use?

12 years 2 months ago #200922 by Radeio
I think color balancing is going to be a royal pain here. Is turning off the fluorescents and using only daylight-balanced strobes an option? You could also try a large scrim above the unit if you have space, as you've indicated, but I think that would be an awful lot of trouble. I would go with modifiers that cast the widest, most even light you can achieve. Do a second shot to get the flames and edit on post.

12 years 2 months ago #200923 by Powell Pink
I agree almost impossible to color balance. I can't close the florescents. Would you use umbrellas on daylight balanced mono's to capture. I already have foamcores to block reflections. Thanks

12 years 2 months ago #200926 by Brushet Pics
If you shoot with the strobes at your camera's sync speed the ambient light won't be an issue. But then lighting the interior might be interesting.

The reflections in the stainless steel are going to be pain but a "box" of foam core should work.

You might also want to bring a CP filter to help with the reflections in the glass.

Depending on the angles you may need to cover the front and the floor, bring lots of foam core.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024