Wedding Photographers - How do you carry your gear?

12 years 2 months ago #203519 by Duck Tape
So I bought a fancy photo vest thinking it would solve my problems. The vest is cool, but there are so many pockets, I often forget where I stashed things. Further, the vest is a men's small - which is about a medium/large on me. It moves around too much.

How do other wedding photographers carry their gear while shooting?

12 years 2 months ago #203523 by Ali Stair
I typically have two main camera bags with me. One holds a body with a lens attached and the other holds a body with another lensand likely a flash bracket attached. That way, I don't have to take anything apart to quickly stash it into a bag and get moving. I keep a set of batteries and the memory cards in my pockets, but everything else is in either of the bags.

I carry the bags with me, but set them down somewhere while shooting...usually out in the open, so I can see them, but I always make a judgment call about the location and the type of people that may be there.

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #203539 by Baydream
The primary shooter at this shipboard wedding used a good sized bag that would easily hold 3 large zoom lenses. It may have been a Lowepro like this.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586032-RE...fied_200_AW_Pro.html
The flap had a velcro strip to allow it to be secured open for fast changes. This was a tiny young lady (maybe 5 ft tall at most) said said this was the best option she had found. It looked huge on her but didn't slow her and every lens was "right there" and she was shooting on a moving tall ship much of the time. She had a second shooter so she stuck with one body but the bag could have held a second.

Sorry I didn't get a clearer shot of the bag.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 2 months ago #203540 by Duck Tape

Ali Stair wrote: I typically have two main camera bags with me. One holds a body with a lens attached and the other holds a body with another lensand likely a flash bracket attached. That way, I don't have to take anything apart to quickly stash it into a bag and get moving. I keep a set of batteries and the memory cards in my pockets, but everything else is in either of the bags.

I carry the bags with me, but set them down somewhere while shooting...usually out in the open, so I can see them, but I always make a judgment call about the location and the type of people that may be there.

Good idea for having both cameras ready. I have two lenses, but not two cameras, so that won't work. However I should get myself a back up camera.

12 years 2 months ago #203541 by Duck Tape

Baydream wrote: The primary shooter at this shipboard wedding used a good sized bag that would easily hold 3 large zoom lenses. It may have been a Lowepro like this.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586032-RE...fied_200_AW_Pro.html
The flap had a velcro strip to allow it to be secured open for fast changes. This was a tiny young lady (maybe 5 ft tall at most) said said this was the best option she had found. It looked huge on her but didn't slow her and every lens was "right there" and she was shooting on a moving tall ship much of the time. She had a second shooter so she stuck with one body but the bag could have held a second.

Sorry I didn't get a clearer shot of the bag.

The picture works just fine, I am still able to tell what she is using in general and everything. Thanks. Maybe I should use a shoulder bag like that.

12 years 2 months ago #203655 by Wyrick Photography
Have you thought about using one of those Spyder holsters?

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #203662 by ronjulius
I'm actually stuck between purchasing the Think Tank Retrospective 30 or the Think Tank Streetwalker HD. I don't know whether to buy a bag that I can use during a wedding (similar to the photo above) or buy a bag that can hold all my equipment. I currently have a Lowepro Flipside 300 and I've outgrown it. I have a destination wedding coming up in April all though it would be nice to have both I can only afford to buy one at the moment. The rest of my money will go towards renting some lenses. What should I do?

12 years 2 months ago #203748 by Henry Peach
I carry my DSLRs, lenses, flashes, and other camera accessories in a #1600 Pelican case. Lighting gear is carried in assorted duffle bags and hard cases. I try to carry as little as possible when shooting. Just the camera on a flash bracket around my neck, a few extra memory cards and batteries in my pants pocket, bouncers, gels, and shooting plans in my shirt pocket. I keep the Pelican case nearby, and return to it for changing lenses, restocking batteries, etc...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024