Are you shooting all your landscape in F/22?

12 years 1 month ago #214221 by NormNYC
So landscape you want as much sharpness as you can get. So does that mean you are always shooting in f/22 when enough light is available? I've been working on my landscape photography, and after reading another photographers blog post a few weeks ago that suggested all landscape shots should be take with the f/22 or the smallest aperture available. After trying this out a couple weeks, I'm finding flaws and restrictions to this so called rule. I'm no pro so would like to hear from others on this topic.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 1 month ago #214227 by mattmoran
Lenses are almost never sharpest at either the largest or smallest aperture.

Most landscapes don't need extreme dof, the subject is at infinity. You could use any aperture. You only need f/22 to do extreme near/far shots where you have a subject in the foreground and a far away background that needs to be in focus.

-Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
12 years 1 month ago #214236 by McBeth Photography
I usually shoot landscape at F8 or f11. It just seems to be the sweet spot for most of my lenses.

It is what it is.
12 years 1 month ago #214240 by Darrell
:agree: :agree:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #214248 by NormNYC

mattmoran wrote: Lenses are almost never sharpest at either the largest or smallest aperture.

Most landscapes don't need extreme dof, the subject is at infinity. You could use any aperture. You only need f/22 to do extreme near/far shots where you have a subject in the foreground and a far away background that needs to be in focus.

I didn't know at about the lens not being sharpest at smallest apertures. Good tip to know.

12 years 1 month ago #214250 by mattmoran

NormNYC wrote:

mattmoran wrote: Lenses are almost never sharpest at either the largest or smallest aperture.

I didn't know at about the lens not being sharpest at smallest apertures. Good tip to know.

Here's an example of how diffraction degrades image quality as you stop your lens down.
www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/und.../u-diffraction.shtml

And here's one with more theory on why it happens
www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

-Matt
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #214264 by Henry Peach
I test my cameras and lenses individually, and if I want lots of DOF I use the smallest aperture where there aren't significant sharpness issues. Meaning I'm not as concerned about what pixel peeping shows me as much as what large prints show me. On my 35mm DSLRs I have some lenses that go to f/32, but I usually try to stick to f/16 or f/22 if possible. On my APS-C digital camera I try to not go beyond f/11, as softness due to aperture diffraction becomes an issue much sooner.
12 years 1 month ago #214336 by KCook
I have zoom lenses for my APS-C body. My landscapes vary from f/9 to f/18. Predominately f/13. Dunno if shooting with primes would change that much.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #214341 by Joves
I hardly ever use the extreme end of the f-stops because the need for them in landscape is not needed that much. For me anywhere from f/6 to 11 will work for the majority of shots.

12 years 1 month ago #214384 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214398 by CatherineW

Joves wrote: I hardly ever use the extreme end of the f-stops because the need for them in landscape is not needed that much. For me anywhere from f/6 to 11 will work for the majority of shots.

:agree: my range is typically between f/5.6 and f/16

***Remember 9/11***
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214581 by rmeyer7
I almost always stay between f/8 and f/13 for landscapes. There are exceptions to everything. For example, I'll go smaller than f/13 if what I'm focusing on is so close to the camera that it creates too much softness in more distant parts of the image. Or, if I'm deliberately trying to use a slow shutter speed to capture motion I'll even use f/22.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024