Rookie as a back up photographer at friends wedding?

12 years 3 weeks ago #217082 by Pulp Fiction
I need some advice here. A friend of mine for nearly 20 years is getting married in August and has just asked me to photograph their wedding with another photographer. I'm not a wedding photographer and have little experience on the subject. I was looking to get some tips and advice from others to prepare for their big day. It would be nice to hand them over some nice shots that my camera took.

Thanks for any tips you can provide this rookie wedding photographer!

12 years 3 weeks ago #217088 by john_m
You will probably run into some snags only because there will be a hired photographer there, and you dont want to get to get in his/her way for your own shots. Im sure though, that there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get some amazing photos.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 weeks ago #217110 by Pulp Fiction
From what I understand my friend has informed the other photographer that I will be there. The other photographer is not an experienced wedding photographer either. Don't ask me why they are going down this road. Well actually I can tell you, they are trying to save some $$. Personally not what I would be doing on wedding, considering if photos are bad, my wife would kill me for cutting corner on photographer.

12 years 3 weeks ago #217112 by camariephotography
One of the best things you can do when photographing a wedding is getting a shot list from the bride and groom of what they want

LIFE | LOVE | FAMILY :)
camarie-photography.com

12 years 3 weeks ago #217114 by john_m
:agree:

I hear ya man. Well then, just have fun with it. I dont doubt that you will come up with some great images and its always nice to know the expectations of the bride and groom (which now you know). Best of luck

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 3 weeks ago #217224 by Jeanne Merlo
You get what you pay for

12 years 3 weeks ago #217292 by Tamgerine

camariephotography wrote: One of the best things you can do when photographing a wedding is getting a shot list from the bride and groom of what they want

Shot lists from the customer are a terrible idea in most cases. The only time I'll accept a list from a customer is a family list for group photographs, or for something incredibly specific like if the maid of honor made the table decorations herself or something. At no time during the wedding do I want to be checking a list constantly to see if I've gotten everything, carrying this thing around with me, and worrying at the end of the night if something didn't happen. The majority of those lists are completely obvious. "The bride walking down the aisle." "The Groom hugging his father." Duh.

Plus, what if you're the only photographer and two items on the list happen at the same time in different locations? LIke something specific when the bride and groom are getting ready. Do you really want to sit down and explain to that bride every reason why certain shots didn't happen? "Well I wasn't there. Well your Dad didn't do this, or that, so I couldn't photograph it."

If someone hires me it's because they have faith that I know what I'm doing. A client shouldn't have to micromanage their photographer.
12 years 3 weeks ago #217360 by Frost Photography

Tamgerine wrote:

camariephotography wrote: One of the best things you can do when photographing a wedding is getting a shot list from the bride and groom of what they want

Shot lists from the customer are a terrible idea in most cases. The only time I'll accept a list from a customer is a family list for group photographs, or for something incredibly specific like if the maid of honor made the table decorations herself or something. At no time during the wedding do I want to be checking a list constantly to see if I've gotten everything, carrying this thing around with me, and worrying at the end of the night if something didn't happen. The majority of those lists are completely obvious. "The bride walking down the aisle." "The Groom hugging his father." Duh.

Plus, what if you're the only photographer and two items on the list happen at the same time in different locations? LIke something specific when the bride and groom are getting ready. Do you really want to sit down and explain to that bride every reason why certain shots didn't happen? "Well I wasn't there. Well your Dad didn't do this, or that, so I couldn't photograph it."

If someone hires me it's because they have faith that I know what I'm doing. A client shouldn't have to micromanage their photographer.

:goodpost:

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024