How would you charge for this job?

12 years 1 month ago #219007 by Gump
I been asked by a local botanical garden to come in and photograph something like 50 different flowers and plants. They are looking for 3 different photos of each.

I haven't quoted them anything and still on the fence whether to charge them by the hour or flat rate. If flat rate, what would you charge for doing this?

Oh and they want the RAW files. Which I'm OK with.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bigyan
12 years 1 month ago #219016 by Darrell
Do you mean they do not want any editing?

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #219095 by I shoot RAW
I would charge hourly on something like this

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #219128 by Henry Peach
I calculate my pricing on how much time and effort a job is going to take, so usually some sort of hourly rate. The client is going to want to know a single price for the entire job though. I tell them a price based on how long I think it should take, and explain to them that the price covers up to a certain amount of time. After that an additional hourly charge kicks in. This encourages everyone to get organized and work to make sure the job gets done quickly and smoothly.

Before releasing the raw files I would make sure their reasoning for requiring raw files was sound. I find that many people have just heard that "raw is better", and they don't really understand processing. Also that there will be an additional charge that was not considered in the original estimate if they require me to process the files at a later date. Usually, even if they say they just want the raw files (which I only offer for some sorts of jobs), I include processing in the estimate, and just deliver a set of processed jpegs too. 9 times out of 10 they just end up using the jpegs.
12 years 1 month ago #219294 by Foxy Girl
Another vote for hourly rate

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #219411 by Raymond II
My wife would love that job. She was asked to do something similar last year and charged hourly and loved it.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #219433 by Stealthy Ninja

Henry Peach wrote: I calculate my pricing on how much time and effort a job is going to take, so usually some sort of hourly rate. The client is going to want to know a single price for the entire job though. I tell them a price based on how long I think it should take, and explain to them that the price covers up to a certain amount of time. After that an additional hourly charge kicks in. This encourages everyone to get organized and work to make sure the job gets done quickly and smoothly.

Before releasing the raw files I would make sure their reasoning for requiring raw files was sound. I find that many people have just heard that "raw is better", and they don't really understand processing. Also that there will be an additional charge that was not considered in the original estimate if they require me to process the files at a later date. Usually, even if they say they just want the raw files (which I only offer for some sorts of jobs), I include processing in the estimate, and just deliver a set of processed jpegs too. 9 times out of 10 they just end up using the jpegs.

I totally agree.

Personally I will never give away my raw files. The exception is when I shoot with my business partner and he wants to do the processing. I trust him to do an excellent job. Even then it's a rare occasion.

To me raw processing is as much a part of my work as taking the photos themselves.
12 years 1 month ago #219607 by Jim Photo
+1 hourly

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #219684 by James L
Not a bad idea, did you approach them or did they approach you? We have a few locally here that the wife and I visit often. Never thought about leaving my card. :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #219687 by mj~shutterbugg

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: I calculate my pricing on how much time and effort a job is going to take, so usually some sort of hourly rate. The client is going to want to know a single price for the entire job though. I tell them a price based on how long I think it should take, and explain to them that the price covers up to a certain amount of time. After that an additional hourly charge kicks in. This encourages everyone to get organized and work to make sure the job gets done quickly and smoothly.

I totally agree.

Personally I will never give away my raw files. The exception is when I shoot with my business partner and he wants to do the processing. I trust him to do an excellent job. Even then it's a rare occasion.

To me raw processing is as much a part of my work as taking the photos themselves.

100% :agree: :goodpost: . I would never give or show a RAW file to any paying client. Very few images are perfect right out of the can. Added to that giving away your RAW files is like giving away your negatives and all the rights that entails. It means you would NEVER be able to use those images for your portfolio. At least that's what I interpret this to mean.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024