Using Wordpress as a website

12 years 1 week ago #220245 by NikaTraveler
Ok so I got Wordpress for a more professional looking blog and realized I could make multiple "blogs" via my one account and possibly even have different domains for each so they look unrelated. There are even themes available for free that look like they would be pretty decent for a photography portfolio.

BUT there is coding and server stuff and blah de blah and it's making my head explode. To be honest I took down my simple Mac-hosted Photography site years ago with intent to make a new better one and got so frustrated with HTML that I gave up and lost all the money I had put into hosting and purchasing a layout. I'm very worried I'll do the same again with Wordpress and I already bought a 3 year membership with the Bluehost.

It wasn't a great loss back then because I wasn't really pursuing my photography career for a while but now I'd like to get back into it.

Has anyone else done this? Words of encouragement or advice? Can you show me your Wordpress sites?

Thanks!! :beerbang:

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
12 years 1 week ago #220257 by rmeyer7
I do web design as my day job, and I can definitely say that Wordpress will be much easier than most other solutions you may have tried in the past. There are things you can do with coding, but there are also a lot of themes where all of that coding work has already been done for you and all you have to do is add your content. That's the beauty of using Wordpress, it's a good option for people know how to write their own code and customize everything, and just as good for people who don't!

One thing to be aware of though, if you want a theme that's going to make everything dead simple and contain all the features you could ever wish for, it might not be free. Mostly that's because some developer has put hours and hours of coding work into it, which the consumer might overlook or not realize (something photographers can relate to...). The good news is, many of those themes -- though they're not free -- are pretty affordable. If you have extra money to spend on it, you can also have custom themes made that will do everything you need.

12 years 6 days ago #220713 by NikaTraveler
Thanks for the reply! After days of sluggling along and hours on the live help chat I FINALLY have my blog in working order, and my photo porfolio soon to follow.

I know what you mean about a good theme! I bought a theme for my website, the one that never saw the light of day for a decent price but realized I'd have to do everything by hand, plug in the photos, resave the images the correct thumbnail size, etc etc and just totally gave up. I think for now I'll stick with the free stuff on wordpress. Not really pursuing photography as a career right now, just wanted a nice place to show my work and if something comes along, I have something to show for myself.

Wordpress is definitely the way to go once you get it dialed in. I just managed to hit every possible snag along the way but now that I have the multiblog setup I can help friends if they want sites through mine too, which is amazingly awesome. You really can't beat that!

If anyone has questions, ask me cus I've been through the ringer now! lol. Phew.

12 years 6 days ago #220894 by rmeyer7
Cool, glad you were able to get things straightened out. If you have any other questions, I don't mind trying to help you find some answers. :)

12 years 5 days ago #221138 by manualmode
www.manualmode.info
www.frank-kruller.com
www.coolsteampunkrings.com

All wordpress sites im hosting... like someone else said.. the sheer amount of plug-ins and themes available, even for free makes almost any task relatively easy.. even customizing themes is fairly simple once you get used to how stuff works.. by far the best web content publishing tool ive ever used..

12 years 5 days ago - 12 years 5 days ago #221257 by crystal
I used to design my own sites using Dreamweaver for many years. Along came Zenfolio, join them, left them after 2 yrs. Join Fine Art, decided I wanted my own homepage since I have my own domain. Made the homepage with dreamweaver and realized I do not want to be designing sites anymore. I just want to focus on photography. So as of yesterday I went with wordpress. As of right now, I like it, just something to get used too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NikaTraveler
12 years 21 hours ago #222540 by NikaTraveler

manualmode wrote: www.manualmode.info
www.frank-kruller.com
www.coolsteampunkrings.com

All wordpress sites im hosting... like someone else said.. the sheer amount of plug-ins and themes available, even for free makes almost any task relatively easy.. even customizing themes is fairly simple once you get used to how stuff works.. by far the best web content publishing tool ive ever used..

Wow those look great! Honestly I'm so glad I made it through the other side. It's funny I never thought about making websites before but now that the door is open I'm getting all kinds of other ideas!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024