Selling stock images on Getty Images?

12 years 3 weeks ago #221441 by SJM
I was just looking at the prices Getty Images sells their photos for and stunned with the idea of what a photographer might make from this site. I guess it all has to do with the revenue split. Anyone happen to know what sort of money can a photographer make off this site?

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #221506 by icepics
You could look up the company, and do some research on royalty free images, rights managed images, etc. so you gain an understanding of how images are marketed and protected.

If you search the name of the company and what's been referred to as 'extortion letter' you'll find references to actions taken the past few years. The controversy seems to be concerning cease and desist actions, and pursuit of financial claims having been made against small business owners, websites etc. that may have unintentionally used copyrighted works.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #221647 by Frank The Tank
I never knew this about Getty Images: www.extortionletterinfo.com/ But how are they able to keep their doors open or are these cases rare and few?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #221791 by icepics
I guess it's not going outside of what's allowable within the law, but it seems like I've read and heard of controversial practices for several years. Seems like they could do a cease and desist as companies sometimes do in order to protect a copyright or trademark rather than take a hard line, especially in cases where a violation was done unintentially. Something could be legal but how ethical it is might be judged differently by different people.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #221843 by JHoward
I'm surprised. Never saw this side of Getty Images :huh:

Canon 7D & 1D MK III, Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.
12 years 3 weeks ago #222220 by Studio Queen
So photographers aren't getting paid?

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222223 by icepics
I don't think it's that so much as the terms, whether or not they receive future payments if images are re-used or re-sold. The websites regarding the letter is more about the company having staff to locate where their images are being used without permission.

But the issue isn't that so much as apparently companies often will send a cease and desist letter asking that their image stop being used, but Getty is supposedly taking a much harsher stance, demanding payment. And I guess it's often small companies who may have had someone do their website so they were unaware who the photo belonged to. Supposedly the payment demanded is more than what would be a typical amount and maybe more than a small company could afford (and depending on their business they may not know anything about copyrights etc.)

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024