What is the shortest you will allow someone to book you for?

12 years 3 weeks ago #222301 by Francis
I just got off a call with a bride to be that is working on a serious budget and only wants a photographer for 20 to 30 minutes. :huh: She wants photos of them with the priest during the ceremony only. I've never been asked for such a short period and wondering should I pass on this one or what to charge. She was asking what I charge for "20 to 30 minutes". I told her I would be sending a proposal over to her via email. Honestly I just needed to buy time and figure what I wanted to do. It's not worth my time to bill for only 20 or 30 minutes. So is it fair to charge for a minimum amount of time? What's your minimum? Again this is a first for me, so never considered this. But money is money these days.

Thanks for the help.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222304 by Gammill
Personally I have a 2 hour minimum. I would quote for 2 hours and let them decide.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222311 by Darrell
It really depends if you have the time or if you want to do it. :beerbang: I would charge the same as doing a portait shoot on location.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 weeks ago #222359 by Stealthy Ninja
Depends on travel and the day of the week etc.

The minimum I do it for is 1 hour. You should do the same (maybe charge for 2 hours to include travel). It's rare a shoot is just 20-30 min. You have to set up, travel etc. etc.

BTW the first hour I work is always more expensive than the subsequent hours. To make up for travel and setup time.
12 years 3 weeks ago #222399 by effron
1/500 sec, if it pays well enough.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #222435 by Henry Peach

Francis wrote: It's not worth my time to bill for only 20 or 30 minutes. So is it fair to charge for a minimum amount of time? What's your minimum?

Yes, it's fair. You need to determine a price that not only covers your expenses and fees, but one that makes you take the job seriously ( and not regret taking it! ). Your minimum might be what you would normally charge for 2 hours or 4 hours even if you only shoot for 30 min. My hourly rate gets more expensive when I'm booked for a less amount of time. That reflects that there is a minimum I need to earn to make loading up the gear and going to work worthwhile. It's also more expensive to secure me early. A year from a particular Saturday I'm going to hold out for a couple that wants to hire me for at least 6 hours. A few weeks from an unbooked Saturday I'm a lot more flexible. :)

My minimum depends on the situation. When is the wedding?
6+ months from now on a Saturday: 6 hour rate is my minimum to book, 8+ hours is my cheapest hourly rate
6+ months from now on a Fri or Sun: 4 hour rate min
in a few weeks, on a day when no one else is going to hire me: I'll work with them. First it's important to determine what they want, and whether their expectations are reasonable. In my experience people tend to underestimate how long it takes to pose people, and get a selection of nice portraits. Possibly what they want would fit one of my portrait packages.

Recently I photographed a couple before they got married at the courthouse 2 blocks from my house on a Wednesday afternoon. It was a very short portrait session in the park so I gave them a portrait rate. A few weeks ago I was contacted by a couple getting married this weekend. They wanted me for an hour and a half. It's a 30 mile round trip, and ceremony, portraits, and whatever else I can get, but at the same time I had the day open, so I gave them 2 hours for 1/2 my 4 hour rate. If they'd contacted me a few months out my minimum might have been my 4 hour rate.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024