Why do some DSLR's use compact flash memory cards and other DSLR's use SD cards?

12 years 3 weeks ago #222874 by Mike Ayrouth
I'm looking around at San Disk memory cards and just thinking, why are there different types of memory cards for DSLR cameras? Why not just keep everything using the same style memory card? You would expect that would simplify things on the manufacturing side of things.

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222929 by Frost Photography
Cost & space available in the cameras I would guess.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #222969 by geoffellis
And yet you havent asked why there are so many battery types? Lens Mounts?

Its simply because each company manufactures/designs their products so that you use their accessories. Memory cards however have had clear popularity in their use. First it was Compact Flash, and now its SD Cards. All the rest now are pretty much niche products for whatever requires them.
12 years 2 weeks ago #223065 by Mayo

geoffellis wrote: And yet you havent asked why there are so many battery types? Lens Mounts?

Its simply because each company manufactures/designs their products so that you use their accessories. Memory cards however have had clear popularity in their use. First it was Compact Flash, and now its SD Cards. All the rest now are pretty much niche products for whatever requires them.

Mounts are brand specific, batteries are brand specific. Memory cards are not a 32GB San Disk SD card will work just the same in Nikon, Canon and Sony. So I get the question and often wonder why the need for both today. If SD is newest technology, why not just make the leap to 100% SD cards vs both.

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223066 by Joves
As Frost said it is a matter of space and design. The smaller bodies have less space so they get the SD, the larger bodies have more so CF. The other thing is function CF cards are faster and transfer more data through larger busses, this means they flush the memory buffers in the cameras faster. I prefer CF over SD any day.

12 years 2 weeks ago #223192 by Happy-pixel

Joves wrote: As Frost said it is a matter of space and design. The smaller bodies have less space so they get the SD, the larger bodies have more so CF. The other thing is function CF cards are faster and transfer more data through larger busses, this means they flush the memory buffers in the cameras faster. I prefer CF over SD any day.

I suspect in 5 years both of these will be on their way out or replaced already

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223277 by geoffellis

Mayo wrote:

geoffellis wrote: And yet you havent asked why there are so many battery types? Lens Mounts?

Mounts are brand specific, batteries are brand specific. Memory cards are not a 32GB San Disk SD card will work just the same in Nikon, Canon and Sony. So I get the question and often wonder why the need for both today. If SD is newest technology, why not just make the leap to 100% SD cards vs both.

You missed my point that batteries do not need to be brand specific. nor do lens mounts. the manufacturers make them brand specific.

And there are several memory cards that are brand specific. xD springs to mind... which is used/developed for Olympus and Fuji cameras. there is also Memory Stick Select/Duo/Pro whatever that is developed by Sony for their own products. Toshiba isnt a camera manufacturer, but they had their own as well (dont recall the name). Believe there are also one or two more specifically for cameras, but i cant recall them off the top of my head.

The only reason CompactFlash and SecureDigital is the most popular is because SanDisk corp released CF with open standards so that anyone may use the technology royalty free and Toshiba (developed with Sandisk) licensed the SD standard (unlike other formats). In fact SanDisk had a hand in developing many of the proprietary cards that are used. Which is why there are so many "SanDisk" cards.

So basically manufacturers have a choice. SD cards are smaller, so as cameras get smaller, the smaller cards make more sense. the sd cards are also cheaper. However as SD took over the market... it only makes sense that photographers were starting out with them. When they were moving on to better cameras they were expecting to find the better cameras with the same formats. not to mention that overall the market penetration for SD has been very high. from cameras, to laptops, to mobiles... just about every device ive seen in the last 6 years has an sd card slot of some size on it. CF might be faster/better, but its not necessarily the winner as far as market penetration is concerned.
12 years 2 weeks ago #223286 by Screamin Scott
+1 on CF vs SD

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #223307 by geoffellis

Screamin Scott wrote: +1 on CF vs SD

Sorry... maybe im out of touch... but what does this mean??
12 years 2 weeks ago #223310 by Cre8tivefix
Higher end camera and the reasons they are used require more assurance of quality and reliability. So although SD may be more popular right now and flooding the market doesn't mean it's the best card for the job. I've had more SD cards fail me over the years compared to the one early CF card that failed on me. If I'm going to get paid a lot of money to photograph a wedding, or some other one chance gig, then I'm going to feel a lot better having memory more geared towards the task. Also there are adapters for those bother enough by it all to only want to get SD. They are slower than the CF by itself, so although I've tried one of them I don't use it anymore.

An SD in a point and shoot makes sense because a point and shoots biggest selling feature tends to be compact size and affordability.

It is the same reason there is more than one type of battery in the world (alkaline, lithium, Ni-Ca, ect.... ). Different things work better in different situations depending on their purpose.

That's my take on it all at least.

12 years 2 weeks ago #223323 by Henry Peach
SD cards are smaller and cheaper. They are common in entry level DSLRs and compacts.

CF cards are more reliable, durable, heat resistant, and faster at the high end. They are common in cameras for pro or heavier use.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024